Software
Houzz Logo Print
rcarterworld

Vertical art over couch

10 years ago

I finally found a piece of art I fell in love with, but I need some help making it work in my space. I do not love how it looks horizontally for some reason. What can I do to make this work vertically? This art was pricey for me, so I would like to keep the addition under $500. Something that doesn't clutter too much. Couch is 125 inches long under art and 32 inches high and MUST STAY. Art is 4 X 6. ft. Any ideas?




Comments (1.3K)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I think it is amazing!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Have you decided on what floor lamp you are going to add?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Awesome! Thank you everyone. I just randomly picked that up on a whim for $80 last night. DH, the other items there are just temporary props to help me with scale (including that lamp to be removed and the orchid that belongs on my coffee table). I'm glad this part is finally out of the way. :)

    Homes, I couldn't narrow a lamp until I nailed the art. I definitely want a swing arm, but I'm not sure of 1) whether a standing one will look weird with my closed off cabinet (inspiration pic had an open feel and 2) I don't have much room there for the swing and am scared to move the cabinet over to the right to accommodate it (airflow vent would be completely blocked). What about a table swing lamp?

  • 8 years ago

    You really did a good job. You’ve got a good eye. That piece is like taking the best of the last 2 ideas you had posted and it’s better than either of them. You totally nailed it!

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you! I'm still toying with a white frame. That will probably be last though just to make sure. My thoughts now are whether to lamp or not (it wouldn't get used). And then anything else. I don't want for it to be too busy. Should I shoot for a plant at all (right side). I already have an orchid for the coffee table....
  • 8 years ago
    RCarter world that is not the lamp for your room you need something bigger
  • 8 years ago

    I think if you like plants, that could be a great spot for one. You’ll need to get one that will do well with the light conditions back in that corner. I think a low flat bowl of something, like sedums if you get enough light, could be very nice looking.

  • 8 years ago
    DH, to be honest, I'm really not a plant person. Just keeping the orchid alive is a struggle. However, I wanted something willowy or a plant to visually take up some space. Thoughts?
  • 8 years ago
    I'm not sure I am a fan of sedums
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Would add a matte and white modern frame to beef it up a bit...I think a floor lamp will be what really makes the entire collection of items..add a timer so it automatically comes on and off everyday with low watt led bulb..just so it casts a soft light on your console and art at night.

    rcarterworld thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • 8 years ago

    If you’re willing to consider an easy plant, I think a pothos plant might be the way to go. It is ridiculously easy. Much, much easier than an orchid. I have seen them do just fine in rooms with no natural light, and it’s fine to let them get pretty dry between waterings. If you stick your finger in the soil, at least the top inch should be dry before you water it again. One easy tip is to give your plant a gentle shower (with cool, but not too cold water) about every other week for a few minutes. That gives it a deep watering and cleans off the leaves so they stay dust free and healthy.

    And, I hope you know most people can’t keep those orchids alive after they bloom, or at least they can’t ever get them to bloom again. They are tropical plants, and they really only thrive if you recreate tropical conditions for them. They want warm temperatures, humidity, and bright, but indirect sunlight. I would recommend getting a new one every 2-3 months from a place like Trader Joe’s where you can get them for about $15-20, depending on the size you want. After they finish blooming, offer your spent orchids to friends who like plants, or to a local free stuff Facebook group. Some people love the challenge of trying to get orchids to bloom again.

    Here is an article about easy houseplants. I don’t agree with it that ferns (except for an asparagus fern) and cacti are that easy to grow, but pathos, jade plants and snake plants are very hardy. If you have cats, asparagus ferns are safe for cats, and they definitely have that billowy look you were describing.

    [https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-houseplants-you-cant-kill-stsetivw-vs~10412314[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-houseplants-you-cant-kill-stsetivw-vs~10412314)

    Then again, you could also consider a high quality silk plant or floral arrangement. The high quality ones cost a little more, but they look pretty real. My stepmother has some silk roses and peonies that are in vases with some clear acrylic in the bottom to look like they’re fresh stems in water. She has had people smell them repeatedly who are quite surprised to find out they’re not real.

    I’ll keep an eye out for anything else that might work in that spot.

    rcarterworld thanked DH
  • 8 years ago

    Sansevieria but only in an unusual modern container (e.g. rectangular, square, tall column, circular, etc.) is almost indestructible....

  • 8 years ago

    This isn't sansevieria but just an example of unusual pots which would look good with it.

    .

  • 8 years ago

    Those are neat little vases. Thank you MJD! Those are unique. I was toying with a plant or branches or something. DH, I replace the orchid every few months and I'm okay with that since like you say, they are VERY inexpensive. Do you all have any thoughts towards a lamp? I am on the fence between a floor lamp and table lamp. I really don't want the standard lamp like what is there now......

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Few more floor lamps to look at..

    rcarterworld thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    So my cabinet is like 32 inches high and the art is 36 inches...roughly 68 inches (66 inches if I LEAN it against the wall). Most of these are shorter than that....

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Is that when they are fully extended? Let take a look.....

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    This one

    adjusts up to 72”

    rcarterworld thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • 8 years ago

    Yes, that one makes me a little nervous. I have 2 feet to the left of the console. Would those arms really work there without hitting my left wall?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    When the long arm is raised up it allows you more space-that lower arm will be gone..so you only need the space of the small top arm and that depends on how tilted you want it..also it should be pulled close to the console...I think it will work just fine...do you have any stores locally that you can just bring one home to get a feel for it?

  • 8 years ago

    Unfortunately no (shopping here is limited). I guess I need to order it from Amazon if I do select it. At least they should have a pretty decent return policy,,,,,,,,

  • 8 years ago

    Why am I not in love with this lamp? Laugh. Can't bring myself to order it.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Do you think you like it better in the gold finish like the inspiration image..you know you can mix metal finishes no problem...

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Well just keep looking...

  • 8 years ago
    I think it's the lamp itself, or maybe at that angle? Would have thought I would have ordered by now. Maybe I don't like the head?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The height is a problem. Try Target for something sorta, kinda like what you are looking for. Easy to purchase and return. You can also order one from on line to be delivered to store, then return to store. Place on stack of big books to “see” what visually looks good...if you even still want a floor lamp. Now you will have a better idea of what height you really need and can hunt for it.

  • 8 years ago
    I didn't think to go get a sample floor one to test...good idea! As I've stated before, I'm still on the fence between table or floor lamp. I keep feeling like a table version is cleaner since my cabinet is closed as opposed to being open. Or it could be that I like the feel of open space around the furniture. If I DID choose a lamp for the left side, what would look good to the right? I'm going for simplicity and no more than 5 pieces including the lamp and this art. I have one plant in the room on my coffee table (orchid), and I have the worst green thumb.
  • 8 years ago
    Should I layer the art with another much smaller framed piece (not art though)? And then plant and vase or vase and statue to the right?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Decide on lamp first...if you really need, want, etc. If not, put the money towards something else.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I thought you had a photo you were working off of.

  • 8 years ago

    I am. Here it is. Of course that lamp is $700 and I cannot find one comparable with that much height. The other issue is that the console used is has a more open feel. Mine is closed and I guess I was thinking that me putting a lamp on the left of MY console would make it even more closed off?

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Your console is also a lot longer.

  • 8 years ago
    Yes. So your personal thoughts?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    A lamp on the left with a closed console could work.


    rcarterworld thanked HMH Development Inc
  • 8 years ago
    Thank you. I can see it better now. I like THAT lamp. Is there a source?
  • 8 years ago

    I like the concept of the floor lamp, both in your inspiration pic and the one that Blue just posted. I thinking having a light source that is of to the side like that, and fairly this stand definitely keeps it feeling more light and airy. Do you have 2-3 books you could stack on the console?

    I think a largish white vase (something kind of mod and/or geometric) on the right with some fresh greenery/branches in it (maybe holly for the holidays?) like in your inspiration pic would balance it out nicely. Using one larger piece will work better than something like a trio of smaller vases because it will feel simpler and less busy. And having one smaller object on the left, similar in scale to the green ball or airplane in those two pics, creates the final balance of the vignette. You may have something in your house already that would work well. I’ll look for some lamp and vase options. Bbl

    rcarterworld thanked DH
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I just saw that lamp..I think Anthropologie has one but $$$$:(

  • 8 years ago

    Here’s a vase along the lines of what I envisioned. Currently on sale at allmodern.com

    rcarterworld thanked DH
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I just picked up this vase up at Kirkland’s $29.99

    13” tall by about 10-11” at the widest point..has a crackled glaze really nice.

    rcarterworld thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    They had a few more different shapes.

    rcarterworld thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Google “task floor lamp” and start looking. I still think you should get a trial lamp...from Target... to test for actual height.

    rcarterworld thanked HMH Development Inc
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    My sister had rotator cuff surgery this week, so I've been staying with her (I actually have a few posts open about HER home that she is making me decorate LOL) and unable to get out very much. However, we do have a local Kirkland's and Target here. I will also keep searching online. I am still leaning towards changing the frame to a white one. I guess I feel like it would be a lighter feel. That being said, would I still go with an all white vase OR a vase that has more texture? DH, I don't have much stuff lying around here. I am the queen of "use it or get it out of here". Let me google task floor lamp again and see what I can find. :-)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    One more..adjusts to ......78” tall


  • 8 years ago

    How funny, I just pulled this one also and was thinking the head may be too big. I'm going to see if I can find one closer to what DH posted and if not, I may have to work with this one.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I am officially STUMPED. Been looking online for lamps for 2 days straight. I don't think any tall lamps (over 66 in) exist unless they are big arch lamps (which scream 80's to me). Was wanting to lean my art against the wall. Does my lamp NEED to be taller than the art?

  • 8 years ago

    I think if the floor lamp has a metal shade, it will need to be taller than the art. Basically, what you’re creating here is a mini stage, like in a theater, with the lead (main art), set and supporting cast (books, vase, etc.), and the lighting to direct your attention to the stage. It won’t work well for the centerpiece of your vignette to only be partially lit.

    And I hear you because I encountered the same problem in searching for a lamp. The best I could find was a smaller arc lamp that had an adjustable head, so you could at least tilt it to the angle you want.

    And yes if you wanted to do a white frame (it actually just occurred to me that you could paint the black frame it came with if you wanted), I think a different color vase would work. I ran across these at West Elm. Although I think that urn shaped one is a little shorter than others that have been posted.

    rcarterworld thanked DH
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    RCarter...did some floor lamp shopping for you..so many that I created a Ideabook for you on my account page.....RCarter...floor lamps

    take a look:)

    rcarterworld thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • 8 years ago

    Homes! Thank you so much for taking time out to do this for me. I really appreciate this. So of course I like the most EXPENSIVE lamp in the ideabook (the Uttermost is most like what I am looking for). But unless it goes on sale for Black Friday, I have got to select something else. What are your thoughts about the first one? Is it too industrial for my space? I also like the $99.90 Kenroy, but I just don't want for it to be like the 80s arc lamps in my space . Thoughts? Also, I took a peek at this one too. I would love everyone's feedback on the selections that Homes took time out to pull for me. :-) (https://www.amazon.com/Adesso-5420-22-Modern-Chrome-Compatible/dp/B06WD46448.



  • 8 years ago

    DH, love the vases! But the bronze is so close to my cabinet color, that I think I would like a different color so that it will stand out a bit more.

  • 8 years ago

    I like the same lap you do. The one that’s over $300. I actually had saved that one too as a possibility for this space.

    what about a Blue/white gray vase or other small object for the console that ties in with your main art piece in the room?

    rcarterworld thanked DH