Software
Houzz Logo Print
steven_pinto41

Identify this insect

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Can someone help me identify this insect. It's eating my sun flower leaves. Also what recommendations do others have on the best way to avoid infects from dining on plants?

Comments (8)

  • 10 years ago

    I'm not sure all photos are of the same insect. The first looks like a flea beetle - if you get close with your finger it will spring away - and the subsequent photos look more wasp-like, perhaps a predatory species. And that would not be surprising, since the predatory guys are very often present when the bad bugs are.

    Unless you have large infestations of the flea beetles, I would do nothing. Their damage to the sunflower leaves is inconsequential. And attempting any spray would discourage the predatory insects, which feed on or parasitize the damaging insects. If you have valuable crop plants growing nearby, just try using a row cover to discourage the munchers.

    In the larger scheme of things, a few insects feeding on plant leaves is not a major issue - the plants will tolerate this easily and it is often best to just let nature take its course. We cannot and should not expect perfection in our gardens - it's not the way nature works :-) But do keep an eye out for various insect issues. particularly when you see them in large numbers. That's when problems occur. But do try the row cover.......it will help to keep many different types of damaging insects at bay and not require any sort of invasive treatment options.

  • 10 years ago

    i dont see any damage on the leaf shown ... and there would have to be some catastrophic amounts of damage before i would become concerned ... and even then ... i doubt if i would do anything with a sunflower.. most grow so fast ... they outgrow most damage ...


    in the garden.. we do not preemptively eradicate everything we see ...


    ken

  • 10 years ago

    please show us an image of a damaged leaf.

  • 10 years ago
    here's some pics of the damage. Also, these are indoors in a container. I planned on transplanting in June. I did bring them outside on a couple nice days.
  • 10 years ago

    The bottom pictures look like fungus gnats, to me. Especially since it appears that they may have just one pair of wings. The pictures aren't the best for ID purposes, it would be helpful to know the size.




  • 10 years ago

    Umm. Are you seeing different pictures than I am?

    I see only leaves, and those with minor damage that occurred quite some time ago. And since these are only the 1st or 2nd pair of true leaves, the plants need to be in larger pots or in the garden so that they can grow unhindered.

  • 10 years ago

    That's a balcony pot. It currently has 3 sun flowers and 2-4 strawberry plants. I planned on transplanting the sun flowers this weekend. I did this for my 3 year-old daughter. Here's a picture of my indoor setup. I plan to transplanting the larger tomato plants (bottom left) and the sunflowers that have damage (bottom right) this weekend. I'm not so worried about the sun flowers or strawberries, but I'm worried it'll spread over to the tomato plants (bottom left), tomato seedlings (top left), and Thai peppers (top right) if I don't deal with it now. I also think I saw some kind of wormy insect by a pea plant, but it went into the soil as soon as it was spotted. I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks with me. I got a couple products from Home Depot (Ortho 3-IN-1 & Bonide Tomato & Vegetable). I'm hesitant to use these since they're probably loaded with chemicals. Maybe there's a home remedy solution for all insects?

  • 10 years ago

    Your top pic looks like root weevil. I hate root weevil. Go get something to kill them. They kill old established plants slowly.