Software
Houzz Logo Print
lslav2012

Relocating Laundry

10 years ago
Currently our laundry machines are in the basement of our very old home, and we are looking to bring the machines up to the main floor. The basement is in rough shape, and as an arthritic individual, more stairs and a cold dark space are not ideal. So, up they will come. However, that leaves a bit of a conundrum on where to put them. We have two options, but I'm not sure which is better.

Option 1: in the kitchen, on a wall that is unused by the back door, but would also make a great mudroom type area,

or

Option 2: in the main floor bath adjoining the kitchen, also by the back door.

I love the idea of having a mud space and main floor laundry, which would make me pean toward putting it in the bathroom. But the space available, unless I can find a micro-sized vanity/sink, means I would have to stack the machines which isn't altogether arthritis friendly.

Thoughts? Ideas? Pictures or links to super tiny sinks that could make this work?

Bathroom dimensions are 5'8"x 11'2", tub/ shower goes across the 5'8" back wall, toilet is next to it. (see pic #1)

kitchen wall length: 60". (see pic #2)

Comments (13)

  • 10 years ago

    One advantage to having it by the back door is it will make it easier for hanging clothes outside. Is the space tucked away a bit or very visible?

  • 10 years ago
    If on the kitchen wall, it's really only visible if you're standing in the kitchen and facing the living room. I'm not terribly bothered by that as I find it practical and vaguely European, but I would like the mud space instead if possible.
  • 10 years ago

    I see your point. I did have a house with a laundry room/bathroom for awhile but I found it a bit cramped to work in. What on the wall on the other side of the back door?

  • 10 years ago
    Having arthritis myself, I can tell you that the stackable washer/dryer is more difficult for me.
  • 10 years ago
    ranmarie, unfortunately putting them on that wall would block the door in and out of the study/library.
  • 10 years ago
    mswordgeek, that's kind of what I was thinking. The bottpm machine would have to be on a pedestal to be easier on the back and hips, but doing so makes the top machine buttons out of reach entirely, and taking clothes out almost dangerous.

    If they go in the bathroom, I must find a tiny sink.
  • 10 years ago
    bump
  • 10 years ago

    Is the study/library room an option to relocate the laundry?

  • 10 years ago
    No, we definitely want to keep the library as is.
  • 10 years ago

    Maybe you want to give us measurements of the main floor bath, and/or a sense of the adjacent spaces?

  • 10 years ago
    @acm, bath measurements are listed in the OP. The proposed wall in the kitchen is directly opposite the bathroom entrance. Xoming out of the bathroom, the back door is on the immediate right. To the left is the stove top.
  • 10 years ago

    well, actually, I think I'd want a floorplan, not just measurements -- need to see where things are sited currently and what might be moveable without breaking the bank. it looks like a double vanity, and now I read that there's a tub, so you get into questions of how much use this bath gets -- could it be a half bath, or lose the tub for a stall shower, say? or is there a nearby broom closet that could be cannibalized to make everything fit?

    oh! I was misreading that photo as looking out into the hall! (no idea why, but hard to break.) now I see the shower and toilet. is that wood panel just a thick wall, or is there storage inside it? and can you answer my questions above about whether this needs to be a full bath, whether you need to hide the toilet, etc... obviously, if this is the main bathroom for the house, then those suggestions aren't helpful. but there might be a way to make things fit, with a bit more information (flooooooorplan).