Software
Houzz Logo Print
phebelyn

Anything wrong with my "New Gold" Lantana?

I planted seven "Lemon Zest" Lantana last year, and of course they all died in the winter because I live in the transition zone. This year I replaced them with "New Gold". It's been warm in the 70's and 80's for the month I've had them, we had a cold spell a couple of days last week along with heavy wind. The past couple of days we've had heavy rain, and wind. I now have 6 left that look like this:

Only one still looks like this:

Is there anything wrong with the other six, or are they gearing up to bloom again?

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago

    Do they all have several hours in the full sun? Keep the seed heads pinched off and use low but frequent doses of fertilizer. I have become less than thrilled about Lantana in recent years because of this.

    PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a) thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • 10 years ago

    Yes, they do, that is why I was wondering why they were looking that way. The "lemon zest" didn't do that. I know what you mean. I really love Lantana. I've never had to fertilize or pinch. The plants themselves look healthy, I've just never had the blooms disappear like that. Thank you, and I'll try your suggestions.

  • 10 years ago

    both pics have some serious glare ...


    but frankly ... i dont see anything wrong with them .. unless the glare is not showing them being off color ...


    one month in the ground.. heat wave.. then cold wave ...then wind wane ... i am sure they are stressed a bit.. be patient ...


    ken

    PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a) thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • 10 years ago

    Ken, the OP is referring to the lack of flowers. There's nothing wrong with the color of the foliage and she says as much. Look at all of the seed heads and/or aborted flowers.

    There is a tendency of some lantana varieties to stop flowering unless deadheaading, cutting back, and frequent, dilute applications of fertilizer are part of the maintenance routine.

    PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a) thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • 10 years ago

    Wanted to update. Thank you rhizo_1. It hasn't been a week yet when I took your advice, and pinched all the seed heads off. And there were many! The lantana are starting to come back out, even with this cold spell we've had. Sorry for the glare. I don't have the best camera on my phone :)

  • 10 years ago

    Well, we have had some sad experience with the New Golds, after being told they were one of the best lantanas to plant. Planted 100 of them around our circle drive where they were magnificent for 2 seasons. Grew to about 1-1/2', and attracted so many beautiful butterflies. Then 2 years ago we had a spring with LOTS of rain. Literally rained every week for 4 months. Killed all but 2 plants, which died the following spring. I have read, and now also been told that they have hollow stems and their roots will drown and/or get root rot. When we pulled out the dead plants, some had roots that went for 6' laterally! But the rains were so unrelenting, they could not survive. They do not like wet feet at all. Had someone told us that initially, we would have probably tried some other plant.

    PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a) thanked geologyx2
  • 10 years ago

    Just wanted to update with a pic. I have only had to pinch the seed heads off twice since posting this in May. Don't know if they will survive the winter so I'm going to take some cuttings, and try bringing those inside to plant next year.

  • 9 years ago

    Wanted to update from last year. These 'New Gold' lantana kept my vase constantly filled during the summer. I hated cutting them back in the fall, but they were in the front yard. I got almost 6 months of color from them. I mulched the roots heavily after cutting them all the way down to the ground, and planted some pansies for the fall, winter, and spring. A few weeks ago, we started seeing some small green leaves. We uncovered the roots, and sure enough all 7 have come back. I'm starting to see some tiny buds. So happy I didn't have to replace them!

  • 9 years ago

    That's a great success story, PLF, thank you for the follow-up. This thread is a perfect example that the word "garden" is a verb and not just a noun.

    PLF (Middle TN, Zone 7a) thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert