Software
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_rigal

Patio design ideas

10 years ago
I'm having a difficult time finding stylish, affordable, space efficient, comfortable, non-generic lounge furniture and design ideas for a small patio (roughly 7x12'). Any great ideas?

Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago

    how many people do you want to be able to sit?

  • 10 years ago
    What do you mean by non-generic? If you're considering seating for just one or two people, maybe you could do a couple of Adirondacks (unless that's too generic). Anyway, I like them, and they're very comfy. On my own patio, I have an outdoor papasan from Pier One and a hammock. I've often thought about buying something fancier, but the truth is that I will probably always prefer the hammock to anything else, so why bother with further shopping? And, of course, you need potted plants. For me, a rug, a fountain, a statue of my preferred holy person, and a string of LEDs are indispensable. You are so lucky to have this pretty space! I'm sure it will be wonderful, once you get it all going.
  • 10 years ago
    A question: Will you need more privacy from the street? If so, can you manage that with plantings from outside the patio? If not, and if you can spare the space required by a couple of low planter boxes, you might consider star jasmine or some kind of trailing vine on a trellis. Or you could always get a roll of bamboo fencing from someplace like Home Depot, but that would cut down on your light. Anyway, I'll be quiet now.
  • 10 years ago
    You haven't added a ton of info for exactly what your looking for a price range - and maybe this picture is the "generic" you are thinking... but World Market always has great stuff reasonably priced. I pulled some pictures together from their website- I would add some cool hanging plants as well- have you seen the "string plants" before? Some lanterns maybe a coffee table that could double as a dining table?
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice / suggestions everyone.

    To answer some of your questions:

    I would like to be able to sit 4-6 people ideally (when entertaining), but on an average day, it's just me and my husband. Comfort is key.

    By "not generic", I mean unique... Something that you don't see everywhere. A lot of the patio furniture out there looks the same. But I guess I can make the space unique by accessorizing.

    My budget is btw $1500- $2000... And I do plan on adding plants and lights.
  • 10 years ago
    We also want to fit a small grill. Love the idea of a hammock, but I think it will take up too much space.
  • 10 years ago
    West Elm has a nice, more unique option
  • 10 years ago
    World market has small bistro sets and you could get the folding chairs for space saving when it is just you two. Planter boxes to the ouside of rail for more space while having some plants. get a few herbs and even veggies for a couple pots. some herbs deter bugs and are great in summer drinks too.