Software
Houzz Logo Print
eveuchan

Stuck on how to decorate spare bedroom.

10 years ago
Our kids are grown and out of the house. I want to redecorate this spare bedroom using the pictures that I've taken of life preservers from cruise ships that my husband and myself have worked on over the years.
I just purchased the blue and white bedspread. Should I do a blue accent wall to match blue in bedspread, paint the green sections blue, or something else?
I also need help on window treatment, carpet, where to put the pictures and an inexpensive dresser or cabinet.
All ideas are appreciated!

Comments (32)

  • 10 years ago

    If it fits your sense of humor, add a life preserver mirror. If ever there was a suitable room for one, this is it.

    If you prefer a more luxurious look, add a big puffy white comforter under the new bedspread and add two new bed pillows.

  • 10 years ago
    Hi Deco! This was my daughters room that was decorated with an India/ Moroccan theme. The ceiling light will be replaced and the gold circle will be painted white again. The mirror is going too.
    I like the idea of white walls and blue window shade. I agree with painting the bed but just not red. The life preservers are orange.
    Should I paint the bed blue?
    Here is a picture of the light that is causing those shadows and a picture of the fourth wall taken from the closet.
  • 10 years ago
    Apple pie, I don't want to go overboard on the nautical theme, ( no pun intended ) but there may be a wall where a life preserver mirror could go. I had these pictures and no where else to put them in my house so a bedroom seemed to be the best spot. My Grandson is only 8 mo. old now, but this will be the room he'll stay in when he's visiting and able to sleep in a bed.
  • 10 years ago

    Here's orange! Just kidding. Is the bed brass? If so that's very nautical. Add some brass accessories with nautical flair.

    Flash of Fluro BRAVE BOUTIQUE · More Info
    Consider a compass on the ceiling where the circle is.
    Boys Nautical Nursery · More Info

    Tudor with Southern Flair, Kenilworth · More Info

    Brass Decorative Ship Porthole Mirror, 14'' · More Info


  • 10 years ago
    Deco, that orange bed is scary! The bed is painted brass or gold. How do I use the life preserver pictures without going too nautical?
  • 10 years ago

    I suggest painting the green wall blue and the remaining walls white with white trim if possible. The bed would look nice painted white and I like apple pies idea of a fluffy white comforter folded at the end of the bed then add a pop of red on the bed with a pillow. The series of life preservers should fit nicely on the wall at the end of the bed. You could still add a few nautical accessories without the nautical theme being too strong.

  • 10 years ago

    Yes paint bed a medium blue. It will be more calming for a child. For safety I would put at foot of bed or across the room. A light blue wall at window. White trim.

  • 10 years ago

    Since there are no kids in the house now, how about using this room for yourselves? Make an office, a sewing or crafts room, an intimate media space just for the two of you. You might use a sleeper sofa that would be useful when you have guests. Your life preservers will still work in such a space.


    Media Room · More Info

    Contemporary Family Room · More Info

    Chelsea house · More Info

    My Houzz: Midcentury Heirlooms and Artwork Charm a 1908 Mississippi Home · More Info

    Craft Room · More Info

    Painted Maple Corner Office - Armonk, NY · More Info

    Contemporary · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    We turned our sons room into an office about 10 yrs ago. I'm turning it back into a bedroom for myself due too my insomnia and husbands LOUD snoring.
    After reading all the ideas and suggestions here is what I came up with.
    1. Keep all walls white but paint the headboard wall blue to match bedding.
    2. Hang white Roman shades.
    3. Possibly paint bed white depending on what the room looks like after other changes.
    4. Find dresser for wall where mirror is now.
    Now here's where I need some opinions. Thanks to Deco I was looking up nautical symbols and found the one below. I don't want to paint it on the ceiling but what if I painted it GREAT BIG ( not quite from ceiling to floor) on the wall to the left of bed?
    I also need to find the best place or places for the framed pictures. I have 2 or 3 more that I can frame, if needed.
    Also, should I paint the frames the color of the head and footboard or some other color?
    Thank you for everyone's suggestions so far!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    my office is a 'smallest bedroom' (in a victorian house, that is tiny) and has a single bed, much for the same reason as yours. i love having my own room that i don't have to consult with ANYONE else (ie, husband) about how to decorate it. i've ended up with original art and posters pretty much floor to ceiling on all the available walls, and now i have to decide what color to paint it. (after taking down all of the art again...)

    my point: don't be in a rush if you arent certain. we don't get many chances to do exactly what we like, so wallow in the luxury.

    also, adding MORE ART will dilute the nauticalishousness of your life preservers if you dont want to go to sea with this room.

  • 10 years ago

    I think that a blue room would be ideal for a Nautical themed decor , If you could paint the bed white it will pop :) here is my thought on the colour that I would use ,the collection would be best on a focal point either when you enter the room or when facing the wall from the bed ,you have many options with a room such as this one ,

    Captain's Watch · More Info

  • 10 years ago


    Anchor Table Lamp · More Info

  • 10 years ago


    Contemporary Living Room · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Visit our store on Houzz search for " Stickonmania " we have over 22 000 products listed and will do custom stuff as well - Google for stickonmania.

    Our production is located in FL and all products are made by hand. Shipping out in less than 5 days and prices starts at $5

    We use premium material made for wall art only and it will not damage your wall when removed.
  • 10 years ago
    I like that first room you posted Geneieve. Thanks for the ideas!
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I would NOT do an accent wall in this room due to its size and the presence of dark wood. Furthermore, your carpet appears purple(ish), which gives me a pause regarding navy headboard wall. I'd go with a light neutral for walls, something that makes the dark picture frames stand out. Personally, I'd turn the bed around to face the window, and add a small nightstand just to the left of the entry door. Hang the photos on the left hand wall along the bed. You mention having some spares you can frame - it seems like 3 tall by 4 across would cover the wall nicely. I'd add a larger horizontal photograph above the headboard, similar frame, complimentary theme - just sea and sky, or a shot of a ship. Repeat the bedding colors in window dressings, but without pattern, such as narrow navy panels and a white sheer between them. If the room is intended to mainly serve your young grandchild, a bookcase or toy storage chest would appear more useful than a dresser. I'd love to see an old trunk in this room, to invoke associations of travel without beating the nautical theme to death.

  • 10 years ago

    Now that the room's purpose is clear, and you want it for your own bedroom, I suggest you go for navy blackout roman shades to help you sleep well. Best secure sleep is attained when the bed is opposite the door. Have you tried it directly under the window? Since the square footage is tiny, think about replacing the carpet with wood or laminate flooring. The click kind is not too expensive. I'd go for the look of a tiny cabin on a ship. Think back to a spot you enjoyed when you were sailing, and try to replicate some of that. Crisp white walls, navy and orange accessories and a rug with your compass, will be easy to change out if you tire of the theme. Try your life preservers flanking the window, if you put the bed there. Try six on one side and three on the other; they don't have to clump together as a group to be interesting. Otherwise, put all of them on the larger wall, or mix them up, with six above a dresser and three grouped somewhere else.


    Contemporary Blue Rug, 5' 3"x7' 6", Contours 510-24966 · More Info

    Compass Star Rope Rug - handmade · More Info

    compass rose detail · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I think that enCompasses everything!

  • 10 years ago
    Sorry for the confusion, but this room will not be my bedroom. There is another bedroom that I'll be using for myself.
    We are getting new carpet for all 3 bedrooms. Possibly cream colored California shag.
    The wall that the bed is on is the only wall where it'll fit in this very small room.
    I agree that shelves would be better than dresser. I'll check out ikea.
  • 10 years ago

    Take a look at the Isala cabinet. Seems as the right size for the place, versatile enough to be repurposed later.

  • 10 years ago
    To address your ideas:
    1. Change the carpet to a neutral color - a gray maybe to feel
    like driftwood.
    2. Paint the room white.
    3. Move the bed to the wall opposite the door.
    4. Add a small night table and lamp beside the bed.
    5. Add a small dresser to the left of the door.
    6. Life preserver pictures above the bed.
    7. Curtains could be blue Roman shades or white gauzy fabric.
    8. If there is room, add a small chair in the corner.

    Pops of orange/coral in pillows, a throw or blanket and other accessories will tie in with your photos.
  • 10 years ago

    This sounds all great ,all aboard !!!!!! to a great weekend :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_wFEB4Oxlo


  • 10 years ago
    I love the brass bed, and would never paint it. I love the white walls in that room and I even like your spread! Adding a white comforter or orangey quilt with it would be nice. If it were me I would start simple. I would hang all the pics, (very clever idea btw!) add some pillows in the same orange as the life preservers, maybe add some different blues? Then add as you find things...something nautical and that you love over the bed, maybe find a rug you like somewhere. To me its fun to start with the basics and go on "treasure hunts" for other stuff. Excellent start!
  • 10 years ago
    How about a small inflatable raft for small guests? Porthole light fixture. Life vest as sculpture. A miniature ensuite so you can do all bathroom needs without moving more than 12 inches....3x3 dimensions...it could fit in a closet. Forgive me, your life preserver pictures got me going. Blue, white and life preserver orange...yes.
  • 10 years ago
    Thank you everyone for all your wonderful suggestions and ideas!
    I think I'm going to paint all the walls white, get blue Roman shade hung and get a cream or very light color carpet installed first. This will give me time to figure out where to put the life preserver pics and shop for accessories and a sea painting.
    Should I hang the pics 4 wide and 2 deep (shown in the photo) to the left of the bed?
  • 10 years ago
    Felizelady, I love you sense of humor! Sometimes when we work on the ships we have to stay in crew quarters. The closet in this spare bedroom is actually bigger than some of the bathrooms we have to use. And some of the rooms we sleep in are a lot smaller than this bedroom!
  • 10 years ago
    Some pictures of our coastal guest room we just finished a couple weeks ago. Our bedding is somewhat similar cant wait to see your finished product!
  • 10 years ago
    Love what you did to your room! I may have to rethink painting the headboard wall blue now! I like that you room has a touch of nautical and that it doesn't overwhelm the room. Thanks for sharing and I'll posts pics when I'm finished.
  • 10 years ago

    I love the brass bed with navy & bedspread.

  • 10 years ago
    I'm going to buy the bookcase for the wall where the closet is. I'll also be buying the canvas picture for above it. I taped the size of the bookcase on the wall and two different sizes of the artwork. Should I go with the big size or smaller one?
  • 10 years ago

    big.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH