Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb52899

Lilac not blooming

Debbi Branka
7 years ago

I have a large lilac bush in my back yard. It has been there for at least 10 years. Possibly 17 (when the house was built). It blooms every spring. I had planned to prune it this year (first time) because I just learned about pruning last summer and it was too late. I also have 3 dwarf lilacs on the side of my house (about 5 years old) and one in front (that is no longer so dwarf) that is 6 years old. Those are all blooming this spring. But the large one in back has no buds or blooms. I have never seen an established lilac not bloom. I read that if it frosts after the bush buds, the buds can die. We did have a fairly early warmup, and then much cold (and even snow flurries) after that. So I think this may be what happened, but why then are my 4 dwarf lilacs blooming just fine? And the bigger question, since the large bush didn't bloom, is it still ok to prune it or should I wait until after it blooms next year? How will I know where to cut for pruning? I live in Detroit MI - I believe that's zone 6.

Comments (3)