Software
Houzz Logo Print
ang_mi23

Table and buffet top display

10 years ago
I just stained the floors dark walnut and refinished an old dining set using chalk paint. Those vases and flowers are temporary but Im looking for ideas for a table top display and buffet top. Also should i put a mirror on the wall or a picture? That wall faces a large bay window. Ideas would be amazing thanks :)

Comments (26)

  • 10 years ago

    For the wall, I would suggest a set of vertical canvas art to add some height but not reflect the light.

  • 10 years ago
    Im not sure what colour to bring in the room. Everything is white and shades of grey.
  • 10 years ago

    What a lovely job. Go with a low basket, or low bowls to add lemons & oranges to.

    IMAX Davidson Aluminum Coral Bowls, 2-Piece Set · More Info

    Emmie Basket, Large · More Info
    On the buffet add some candlesticks & a sculpture. Add a picture or painting or even a collection of framed photos. People do not like looking at themselves while eating so do not add a mirror.

  • 10 years ago
    The bowls are a great idea. In the basement i have a dining room with vases I didnt want the same upstairs. Never thought about eating and see yourself in the mirror, good point! Thanks
  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago

    I would suggest a nice chandelier, otherwise a lamp on buffet.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hi

    Susan2494 can I ask what app/program you use.


    Good ideas as well.


    Best of luck !

    KHB Interiors in New Orleans

    Please do me a huge favor and follow us on Houzz!


    https://www.houzz.com/khbinteriors
  • 10 years ago

    You did a great job on the floor;table and chairs. First find great piece of art (or mirror for your wall. Then find a chandelier above your table. Consider an area rug to protect your floors. Then window covering if you want one. Lastly find decorative pieces for your table and buffet. Always find the bigger more limited (by options) items first. Good luck!

  • 10 years ago
    I suggest putting a mirror (either plain or antiqued finish) on top of the buffet for some pop. Then layer with a tray (your choice of color) with some pretty crystal liquor bottle or other bar items.

    Adding warm metals might be nice, antique or matte brass tones for the chandelier and tray.

    For the wall, Could be anything you like/interested in. A large framed fine art photograph would take the room in a more transitional look. Or maybe a collection of antique maps of places you've visited would be meaningful and look cool. Intersperse the maps with mirrors to repeat the mirror on the buffet. Or a more colorful artwork to make the room more fun and less formal.

    Have fun!
  • 10 years ago

    Unfortunately, your space, IMO, is not big enough for an area rug.

    @KHB... Olioboard app

  • 10 years ago

    It looks like you are a fan of orange ,so why not something like this for the wall

    Winslow Homer Oranges on a Branch Premium Canvas Print · More Info

  • 10 years ago


    Hand Blown Glass Orange Glow Round Ruffled Bowl · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought painting and refinishing was the hard part, guess not!
  • 10 years ago
    Add color with a rug under the table and chairs and a Roman shade on the window over the buffet, art on the wall and a colorful bowl or a chunky vase on the buffet.
  • 10 years ago

    I think orange would be a nice accent color to liven it up. :)

  • 10 years ago

    The art really depends on what you like. You could also do something like this if you prefer something more modern or abstract.


  • 10 years ago
    I really like the idea of bringing in orange.
  • 10 years ago
    Susan thanks for the visual. The subtle blue makes it easier to find drapes that aren't over powering. Although i love orange I'm not sure what type of drapes and if it will be too bright?
  • 10 years ago


    Orange Trellis Indoor Outdoor Fabric · More Info

  • 10 years ago


    Orange Ikat Indoor Outdoor Fabric · More Info
    You have a touch of grey in both of these fabrics


  • 10 years ago

    Blue is a nice accent color for the art and the window treatments. I would suggest you bring in a touch of orange with the table or buffet décor or even in the art.

    A little orange goes a long way :>)

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for all the help and advice :)
  • 10 years ago
    Iv made some progress and Im happy with it. Not sure what to put where the magazines are? Any suggestions would be great. Iv ordered a light and painting but still waiting for it to come in.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think the window wall could benefit by being painted a color similar to the sideboard and softened with floor to ceiling drapery panels to add visual height. Then I would place either orchids in a basket/bowl or ceramics to span the space from the top of the sideboard to the bottom of the window.

    Add some art, a simple contemporary chandelier and a ceramic or cast bowl for the table and I think you could have a pretty interesting dining area.

    Depending on your lighting situation, you might want to add buffet lamps

    Not crazy about the new candlesticks. The scale is brutal when compared to your graceful chairs.

  • 10 years ago
    Wow....I love the painting that Genevieve posted on 5/23. The colors are gorgeous and would give life to your dining area.