Software
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_jean35

Grey Fungus on Lilac trunk

10 years ago

I have this 6 foot tall Lilac Schrub and I have noticed this year that it was not flowering at all. Upon closer inspection I saw that the main trunk as well as most of the larger branches are affected by a grey fungus. Anyone can tell me what it is and how to fix this?
I can't really cut the affected branches off cause that's about 3/4 of the schrub gone!

Comments (10)

  • 10 years ago

    no ID without a pic ...


    but make sure you arent seeing harmless lichens ... google the term .. flip to images ...


    ken

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks..... I do have a photo but I cannot attach it to my comment here.

  • 10 years ago

    use the photo/camera icon under the box you type in.. see if you can get it up ...


    did you google lichens??


    ken

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks Ken.....here is the photo of one area of the trunk affected.
    Yes I did google it but still I am a bit confused.
    Some sites say nothing can be done and the tree needs to be cut down others say it has to take it's course and is not a big problem for the survival of the tree.
    I would hate to cut it down, I am looking for maybe a remedy of some sort.
    So far, only one large limb seems to be unaffected and is flowering. The rest of the tree has nice green leaves but no flowers.

  • 10 years ago

    That IS lichen and as mentioned previously, it is not harmful to your plant!! Lichens just use plants (usually branches and trunks) as supports but they can grow on just about anything - fences, rocks. I even noticed some lichen growing on an old derelict pickup in a neighboring property!!

    You do not need to do anything or treat with any product. Often lichen will colonize plants that are stressed for some reason, as these tend to produce a lighter canopy and the lichens appreciate the sunlight. So there may well be another reason that your lilac is not doing well, but the lichen is not the cause.

    If you want to post more photos of the shrub and explain what is of concern and how you are growing it, then perhaps we can be of further assistance. btw, lack of flowering is a common complaint for lilacs and usually has nothing to do with any disease issues.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you gardengal48!
    I may take another photo or two today and post them.
    Part of the tree (the lichen affected branches) is not flowering but the other part or main branch with no lichen is flowering and that is why I am so confused about this.
    It does have about 2 feet in diameter of earth around the base of the trunk and has some mulch over it. Maybe that is where the problem is.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    1. Lilacs have lots of problems.
    2. Lichens do not harm plants.
    3. Lichens like plenty of sunlight and air circulation.
    4. Lichens will thrive on sickly trees and shrubs because of #3.
    5. In most cases, mulch is considered a big benefit to plants. Exceptions are deep mounds of mulch piled up against the trunk.
    6. See #1.

    I'm making light of your lilac issues and I shouldn't. But I am being absolutely honest about the problems they have, in spite of excellent care, great growing conditions, perfect soil, etc.

    Perhaps, if you can provide some history and good pictures, we may be able to offer suggestions for improvement. Shovel pruning is often recommended, just be warned!

  • 10 years ago

    to help you wrap your head around lichens ... it is a sign of good air quality ,... and has no impact on the plant ...


    ken

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you everyone! Well I am happy that the aire quality is considered good eventhough my street has had construction going on for the past few months. LOL
    Thank you for your help and guidance.