Software
Houzz Logo Print
octoberdana

Thoughts on this backsplash?

10 years ago

My hubby really wants the builder to install our backsplash. However, I'm not really feeling the choices. This is the one he likes. How does this look? Should I go for more of a contrast?

Comments (33)

  • 10 years ago

    I think it looks like a nice combo.

  • 10 years ago

    me too -- there's a faint variation in the color of the tile that really gives it a nice feel.

    if you want a little more difference from the cabinets, you could go with a pale gray. I'll see if I can find some examples, but it's hard to peg the colors from your photo. also, the type of flooring (and color) might affect your choice.

    1) matching cabinets relatively closely


    A Classic Kitchen · More Info

    Shiloh Painted Kitchen and Dining Room · More Info

    Hillsdale NJ · More Info

    Brown and cream kitchen · More Info

    2) more contrast


    Kitchen · More Info


    Bella Rosa Court · More Info

    Oakville House · More Info

    Plymouth Kitchen Renovation · More Info

    Qualicum Beach Residence · More Info



    Jennifer Brouwer Design Inc · More Info


    Mostly white kitchens are so popular right now, and subway tile over mosaics, so good examples of the contrasting backsplashes are pretty hard to find. That doesn't make either choice wrong for your particular kitchen, but it might be why your builder has chosen the options he has. Good luck with your new kitchen!

  • 10 years ago

    The cabinets are antique not pure white.

  • 10 years ago

    Maybe I would like stark white as opposed to blending cream?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think it's a lovely match; calm, classic and doesn't compete with your granite. If you want contrast or a pop of color, you can always add a colorful window treatment or floor mat or a clay bowl on the counter with fruit, etc.

  • 10 years ago

    Also the grout must be white.

  • 10 years ago

    I went back into the design studio and came across this one. I think I like this the best. It is gray with silverado grout, pulls out the gray in the floor, the counter, and the stainless. I just don't want it to pull too cold, since I purposefully chose off white cabinets to keep the space warm.


  • 10 years ago
    I like the original choice much better. All the elements blend in a way that isn't true of the 2nd option featuring gray. It's just personal, but I also fear gray is soon to become the harvest gold of our era. If that happens, you might be happier that you put the trendy gray in paint, accessories, etc.
  • 10 years ago

    I like both, but prefer the 1st. Do you have dark blinds on several windows in an open space? Flooring seems medium in tone.... anything else to consider?

  • 10 years ago

    I have no window treatments... brand new house... no paint colors yet. Kitchen has no windows but is open to a breakfast nook, and the great room. Great room has the same wood floors and black granite fireplace. I prefer contrasts which is why I think I'm drawn to the gray... I may just scrap it and do something later.

  • 10 years ago

    Just a thought: that if you unify with antique cream-white [like cabs], you have option to add more contrast in store-bought things like rug, art, etc.... ?

  • 10 years ago

    My cabinets are antique cream-white. :)

  • 10 years ago

    So I think the tiles in the same are good... I don't mean to drag it out... :)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Are there any other countertop options? Something less busy?

  • 10 years ago

    There are other options but they are all pretty busy aside from Uba Tuba and black pearl. I think I will just omit the backsplash and do one later. I'm very happy with my chosen cabinets, counters, and floors.

  • 10 years ago

    I love the original choice, better than the gray. The original choice is perfect.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Then I would suggest your first choice. It all works well together.

  • 10 years ago

    Thank you everyone, I'm not loving the matchiness of the first choice. I am just going to not have the builder put one up (since it's optional), live in the house for awhile and then decide.

  • 10 years ago

    I think that is best Dana. I liked the gray but I fear it would make the cabinets look yellow.

  • 10 years ago
    I think the grey is really nice! Seize the day and don't put off to tomorrow what you can do today
  • 10 years ago

    I sent the two pictures out to 12 friends and family who's opinion I trust they came back 6 for gray and 6 for the cream. So I guess it truly is a matter of taste and opinion.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    The cabinets work well with the cream subway tiles. The gray just doesn't do it plus gray won't always be such an "in" color.

    Like the subtle contrast between the counters, cabinets and BS. Very clean. You won't be sorry esp. because you intentionally picked the cream for its warmth.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I think my biggest hang up is that my current backsplash is very bold and contrasted. I have white appliances, dark cherry cabinets, a laminate countertop with multiple colors and lots of movement, and stainless steel subway tile backsplash.

    In my new house my appliances will be stainless with a medium toned wood floor. The cream kind of blends into the cabinet so worry it's not enough of a contrast. The gray provides a contrast and pulls the gray out in the cabinets, but I'm concerned that it may be too dark in light of the stainless appliances and black electric cooktop.

  • 10 years ago
    It is personal taste. Do not worry about trends. Chose what color you like. Subway tile is classic and forever, you cant go wrong with Subway. Either color you pick (and I would, if I were you, think about the other color choices in the house while choosing) will be great. Either color will work. Eeny meeny miney mo! Im also in the middle of a new build so I understand!
  • 10 years ago
    First choice. Gray is so gray.....
  • 10 years ago

    Well fortunately I have no colors. Floor is laminate wood called mountain walnut, shades of gray, brown, dark, and light, overall it's a medium tone. Counters are in a granite called blue platinum which has flecks of blue, gray, cream, black, and white. Cabinets are called antique... The kitchen is open to the great room, dining room, and breakfast nook. They all have the same floor. The great room will have a black granite fireplace with white trim. Color palette is wide open.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Wait. It's not hard to tile your own backsplash. There are so many beautiful tiles out there, don't settle just to get it done. With an open kitchen, it is a shame to put up a meh backsplash.

    Here 's a photo of a granite with similar flecks that was featured in a Houzz story about choosing a backsplash. I'm not suggesting blue. I am urging you to wait til you find something you love and it might not be cream OR grey.

    Beach House Renovation · More Info

  • 10 years ago
    The backsplash doesn't have enough contrast. I would go with white.
  • 10 years ago

    Another reason why I was considering having the builder do the backsplash is that if they do it the backsplash starts at the counter edge. If we omit the backsplash then they put one of those puny 3" granite backsplashes on and I dislike those. There is no way to have them leave that out, so I would then be forced to remove it or work around it. I have to decide what bothers me more I guess.

  • 10 years ago

    Please don't put in the 4" backsplash if you don't like that look, it will be an active irritant, I bet. (Some people like that look.) We're not in the space, seeing the colors together, you are. Use the one you liked, the grey.


    Traditional Kitchen · More Info




  • 10 years ago

    Thank you barncatz this is close to my colors only my countertops aren't dark like that, but it's a good representation of how it would look with the cream cabinets and the stainless appliances.

  • 10 years ago
    I don't think you need contrast, you need to let the counter be the focus. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with a painted backsplash.