Software
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_deery

Please help. Desperate

10 years ago

Having a loungeroom crisis, and we're at the point where we're not enjoying sitting in here

Lost the homely feel. We have purchased bits along the way, loved the couches, then loved the TV stand. Love the rug. Coffee table and side table need to go, but we don't know what to replace with. Will the couches and TV stand ever work together? How can we tie everything in? Any help most appreciated. Be brutal, please!

Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago
    I believe your drapes don't look very uniform which isn't helping keep your room look as upscale as it could be.

    Is there any chance you could hang the TV on that wall? I would not paint the brick under any circumstances

    I'm not sure if these are available where you are but EQ3 has a centre and corner table set from their "Boom" line. I'd go with the walnut finish.
  • 10 years ago
    I think the furniture all feels quite large in scale in a room of that size. It may be a good idea to take photos of the room from other angles to show the rest that you are working with? Is the sofa opposite the tv in an alcove of some sort?
  • 10 years ago
    The lighting isn't great either so it's creating a lot of shadow, making things feel a lot darker to me.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Consider updating the drapes. Install a can light in the ceiling above the brick. Make it directional so it gives a dramatic light wash onto the brick. Make the TV the centerpiece of the brick wall. With the TV on a stand it allows the brick wall to be foreboding looking. Always break up accent walls like that brick wall.
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the tips. Room is rather large. Pic attached. Will take it all on board

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The console table will be fine without the TV. It will look great with just a few things on top to decorate and set it off. TV stands are another thing that just need to go away. TVs are not huge pieces of furniture anymore. They don't need tables or stands. Decorate the table with anything but little picture frames of your family. Think colorful blown glass bowl. I hope you can use at least one of my ideas. Have fun.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Bigger TV and for God's sake route all the wires behind the brick. I know, I know, It's not my money. Haha.
  • 10 years ago
    Tidy up the curtains. Get a lighter, interesting lamp shade and maybe a taller lamp. Lose the coffee table coffee table. Paint the side tables a lighter colour. I had a dark brick wall like that so I had it cladded with a light stone and I've used light paint everywhere else. I'm not sure about the pictures in my room but they do add colour and they are expensive originals I needed to find place for. But use the idea, brighten and lighten up the room, your space is heavy and dark. Use a rug where the coffee table is now, it would make your space cost and add dimension if it's a good one.
  • 10 years ago

    Get rid of the side table and mount the TV - MUST! I would also plaster that wall but that's a personal thing. Line the carpet up with the curtains - they also need an update - maybe rings instead of rails?

  • 10 years ago
    I agree that tv stands aren't necessary anymore and won't use them in my next house but I think that yours is fine. For me, that should be a feature wall and the dark brick isn't helping.
  • 10 years ago

    Barring the curtains, which do need replacing, I think the room is fine -- it's just not complete. Two things that could move it along would be a striking patterned rug to link the one couch and the console, and one great item on the console itself -- something that reflects your personality and that you really love looking at. I'd overlay the patterned rug on your existing rug; it's a very cosy look. The brick wall could also do with a large piece of art, either a horizontal piece above the TV, or a vertical one to one or other side of it.

    http://www.jabong.com/status-Spring-Nylon-Carpet-1663429.html?pos=34


  • 10 years ago

    I think your t.v. stand is fine as it almost blends into the wall (and where else would you put your components?). As for the coffee table, you might want to try 3 different, but smaller tables to break up the square, blocky feeling.


    Cottesloe · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I think you could go for a warmer colour in the curtains. This open-weave burlap would tie in with the texture of the brick -- though I definitely wouldn't let them touch the floor as in this picture; it ruins the drape.

    https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod690596&categoryId=cat1590004

  • 10 years ago
    Start by just taking down the curtains then see how you feel about it. I think you'll be surprised how much better it gets.
  • 10 years ago
    TV looks to be at correct height for viewing, no need to mount it on the wall, especially if you have to go through the brick to do it. I think the problem is your room is dark. New lighting, and different curtains (if any) would make a difference.

    This is how we did our console,
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Since you love the rug and the tv stand but feel like the end table and coffee table should be replaced, I suggest glass or lucite to lighten up. The current tables are rather large. If you chose the right coffee table or set nesting tables and a floor lamp, you might not need an end table at all. Re table substituted, the trend now seems to be ottoman plus tray, but sometimes that weighs a room down. If you decide you want wood for the coffee tables, walnut might be a nice addition (there is a movement towards mixing wood tones, rule of three). At any rate, I do think the couch and tv stand do coordinate well with the exposed brick to warm up the space. Perhaps rethink the lamp as the shade is a bit low and casts shadows (at least from the pictures. Finally, it seems like the room could benefit from an organic shape like a plant. I go back and forth as to art hanging above TV (I do have art all over the house). Currently there is none above my Tv, but there are three moderately large paintings over my couch in the den. So, my recommendation is, if you want art, try a larger scale.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Maybe these photos from our design portfolio will help you move along? Take note of the colors and lighting.

    Leeward Renovation · More Info


    Leeward Renovation · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    I would take out the end table ...the one at the end of the TV console. I would put your TV on either one side or the other of your console....in other words, off set it. Maybe a small plant on the window end and some books. Probably need a floor lamp in that corner also but maybe not. Then get some sort of artwork for the other end of your console such as teamaltese shows in her picture. For the coffee table....either a glass one or an ottoman. Take down your curtains and see what it looks like.....may be able to use just sheers with pull down shades.