Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_33023123

Need help Selecting cabinets for kitchen

10 years ago

I'm remodeling kitchen for our new home. I'm torn between getting stained vs painted cabinets I want to do painted but nobody I know has painted cabinets. I dont know how it's going to look in a "real" kitchen. Does anyone have grey/off white or blue/off white combination kitchen cabinets? How does it hold upto daily use? I'm thinking darker cabinets on the bottom. We have 3 little ones. So I know it's going to get lot of smudges in the lower cabinets. Can someone please share pics or let me know their experience with painted cabinets? Thank you for reading.

Comments (8)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Painted cabinets are great. Just add a couple of coats of polyurethane and it'll hold up for a long time. Just speak to your painting specialists and they'll be able to recommend the right type of paint to use.
    User thanked iSO Design
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Kitchen Remodel · More Info

    Kitchen Remodel · More Info
    Here are mine painted. It has been 3 years since building new doors and painting the cabinet boxes. I have a few spots where the paint is chipped to the wood, and those would be the cabinet to the right of the sink where I hit the bottom edge with a dish or two while doing dishes. And one on the edge of the panty, not sure what happened there. I used an Ace brand paint for cabinet, door & trim. One coat of primer and two coats of paint, that is it, no cover coat needed. The Ace cabinet, door & trim paint mainly comes in white, however it does come in tintable, finding a store that cares it, good luck!! The things I like most about it, it has a leveling agent in it, I rolled the mass majority with a foam roller and even when I was sure there was going to be lines or brush strokes they settled right out. The next best thing, it is durable. I have spilt many a thing on them and it wipes right off, no staining. I have my trash under the sink, even that door that is opened many a time a day, no stains. Even when the grandkids miss the trash and smear ketchup all over the inside door. Just last week I had my sodastream blow up a bottle of Hawaiian punch, RED Hawaiian punch. I have a few spots in my grout that are pink now, but nothing on the cabinets. Good luck in how you proceed!!

    User thanked Rhoni
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you all for the comments. That does ease my mind. We are using a designer and they use wellborn cabinets. So many new brands and terminology to learn in a short period of time. I am trying to make an educated decision and our designer said pick a color that you really like because you are going to have these cabinets for a long time. That scared me..lol

    Thanks for the pics..Rhoni. It looks beautiful in the after pics. Nice island too.

  • 10 years ago

    Their Estate collection is the only one's I'd consider. No Select. Even then, I think that you need to keep a close eye on the doors for sanding consistency. Don't be afraid to ''blue tape'' the ones that aren't up to snuff.

    User thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    We are true DIYers. We built our own cabinet doors, our cabinet boxes are solid wood and built in place. Very true on what color you pick. I have always wanted white so mine choice was simple. As you saw in the before, orange honey oak, anything was an improvement over that. When I decided to paint instead of replace all the cabinets, I read about ever brand of trim paint I could find. So many people commented on Ace being their hands down favorite.

    Kitchen Remodel · More Info

    Then I realized that was what we'd used for trim and door paint in our old house. Duh. And NO, I don't work for Ace. But when I find something that good it is hard for me not to share, lol. Here is another pic, just so you can see. (the bar front is now bead board, same white paint)

    User thanked Rhoni
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I agree factory d IMO white kitchens are timeless 2 toned kitchens not so much cabinets are a much better finish than home painting an

    User thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 10 years ago

    It's a lot of good info. Thanks! I really love off white cabinets but was worried about keeping it clean. I wasn't thinking about two tone kitchen until I saw these pictures in pinterest. I love this combination! It is too much of a risk to take though.