Software
Houzz Logo Print
addisonliving

Help! Trying to improve curb appeal of this old house

10 years ago
So we recently moved to this house. It is located slightly on a height so the rain washes away all the grass. I am looking for some ideas to improve curb appeal. My budget is $10,000 and I am open to making any changes which will help the house look nicer and remains within my budget. I live in Dallas suburbs. Thank you for your help!

Comments (3)

  • 10 years ago

    I would consider terracing your front yard and staircase if you want to, and replace the lawn with other plantings suitable to your zone. Perhaps do two terraces, one that ends just before the large tree and one that starts lower down just after the large tree. And this does not have to be just plantings as you can use gravels and stones to define the space as well.

    Resort Style in the backyard · More Info
    As you already have the stairs, you may not have to redo them, just place the terraces on either side and leave them as is. It looks as if you have a square stone or brick lining the staircase, so if you retain them I would consider a similar topping to the terrace wall or face so that it blends with the staircase trim.
    Brighton Beach Estate · More Info
    You might also consider giving your entrance more definition with brick pillars or a metal fence around the front yard and also note the use of large rocks in this picture instead of only plantings.

    Dipa S thanked elainesteinke
  • 10 years ago

    First order of business - trim up those trees, especially the one on the picture's left.

    Terracing and retaining walls would look amazing. You could use the same material that is used under your front hedges to create planters for them and you'll have to come up with some schemes to figure out how formal you want them. I also like the idea of using brick to match your stair border - I would be careful to match the brick of your house though.

    Adding brick pillars to the bottom of the stairs and extending a decorative fence out would look great. Then you can plant decoratively (and symmetrically) on either bank under the tree there with plants that don't mind the incline.

    I think you need to line your path and stairs with interesting plants to frame the walk way, something to bring out the brick trim. on the path and highlight that sweet curve.

    Dipa S thanked overthehighway
  • 10 years ago
    Hi - thank you both for your replies. I like the idea of layering my curb slope with stones. I am planning to have children's play area on one side of the house so my next questions is how would the layering look if I just do it on one side of the house.
    Secondly I appreciate you pointing out about my trees what do you think about changing Windows and removing the blinds . I understand that it is beyond the budget that I stated but I am ready to do the bigger changes if it really drastically improves the curb appeal