Software
Houzz Logo Print
dinajean_gw

Rust on red quince?

10 years ago

I have had the rust? show up on the fruits of the quince for three years now. Last year I pruned the shrub to the ground & it came back with same problem. I have lots of perennials in that same flowerbed- And wondering if 1) I should get rid of the quince 2) is it going to harm the perennials in this bed?

Comments (5)

  • 10 years ago

    It's not going to harm your perennials. Somewhere nearby is the other half of your problem, as most of these kinds of rust have two hosts, usually a juniper or cedar on one end and a fruiting tree/shrub on the other; I am currently fighting rust on my serviceberry, and found the fruiting body on a juniper about 60 feet away,- the juniper is coming down. I had the serviceberry treated with an injectible fungicide by my tree company this year, and it seems to have controlled it (knock on wood). If the quince is small, you may be able to spray it with fungicide yourself.

  • 10 years ago

    I have Leland Cypress nearby, but no junipers or cedars...I would like to save the quince because I hate to kill anything, but I guess it is in a bad place anyway....So another question, should I prune all the branches off and then move it? Or move it with the branches on? I really don't know as much about shrubbery as I would like & I appreciate y'alls advice....

  • 10 years ago

    You'd be smart to learn about an Integrated Pest Management approach for this disease. IPM practices can be helpful when the removal of junipers in the vicinity is not desirable or possible.

    Garden househeeping tasks such as the swift removal of fruiting bodies and galls, pruning, and chemical treatment can be much more useful when used in combination with each other.

    Read the article in the above link as well as any research based .edu sites that you can find.














    dinajean(SCzone7b) thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • 10 years ago

    Have you asked the people at your local office of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service?

    It does look very similar to Pacific Coast Pear Rust.

    https://ask.extension.org/questions/246987

    kimmq is kimmsr

    dinajean(SCzone7b) thanked kimmq
  • 10 years ago

    That is a prime example of cedar-quince rust!! As noted previously, this pathogen requires both players to be a problem. The 'cedar' in the disease title is not a cedar at all but a juniper (Juniperus virginiana is commonly known as 'eastern red cedar'). Other junipers can host the pathogen as well and they do not need to be located in the immediate vicinity - the spores can travel as much as 1/4 mile with the wind. This is only one manifestation of related fungal pathogens that affect various members of the Rose family, including apples, serviceberries, crabapples, hawthorns, mountain ash, cotoneaster and both flowering and fruiting quince. Junipers are the ONLY evergreen host plant.

    If no junipers close by, there's not much you can do to control the sporation but the disease, while disfiguring, is not likely to permanently damage either the quince or the host. Just prune out and destroy any affected fruit or tissue.

    btw, true cedars (Cedrus species) or any other conifers like the Leyland cypress are not host plants and will not host or promote this disease.

    dinajean(SCzone7b) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!