Software
Houzz Logo Print
jed_35

House exterior color and design

10 years ago

Hello, I would love to get some opinions for the color of my house exterior. One of the problems I'm having is selecting a color that goes well with the amber coloured privacy glass that is on the sides of the house. Right now the glass looks pretty bad with the light blue. The light on the inside of the house from this glass looks great and the texture at night also looks good, so I would like to keep them. It's a 1970's house and we would like it to look more modern. Our interior is in a mid-century modern style. Any suggestions about what to do to give the house a more modern feel would be very appreciated.

Comments (13)

  • 10 years ago

    cool house.

    Since you don't see the amber glass from the front, it does not necessarily need to dictate your color choice for the front/entire house.

    I don't see the blue in the photos - but I believe you!

    In keeping with a MCM vibe and in consideration of the amber glass which you wish to retain, I would paint the exterior Bennington Gray HC 82 Or Shelburne Buff HC 28 Or Maryville Brown HC 75. All would work well with the existing white trim and railings. All three colors would make a seamless transition to nature which is an important element to respect in MCM design.


  • 10 years ago



  • 10 years ago
    Beautiful house! What caught my attention in a not-so-good-way was the drapes. The way they're tied off feels a bit old fashioned, and not in keeping with the cool modern vibe that the house has otherwise.
  • 10 years ago

    Groveraxle comes through again! YEA! Thanks so much!

    drdeb - I agree about the drapery on the front window - very distracting. Time to invest in modern simple shades.

    What do you think jed?

  • 10 years ago

    another vote for reconsidering your wrangled drapery panels.

  • 10 years ago

    Well this is fun. I had never posted on Houzz before. Thanks so much for all your thoughts and especially to groveraxle for taking the time to do the sample colors. I really like the third option! I noticed you didn't change the color of the area under the windows. The house changes a bit there and I'm not sure what to do with that area. I'm pretty sure I'll put in black window boxes, but then should the plain area under that be the same color as the house or add a different shade? We're also planning on redoing the stairs in a mix of cedar and stainless steel cabling. As for the drapes, one of the reasons I like them as they are is it provides a bit of privacy, but I can still see out. Plus I thought they softened the look a bit. Not married to it though, so I'm giving it some thought and would be happy to get other thoughts and opinions. I'm adding a pic of the inside for reference.

  • 10 years ago

    Glad you're having fun! LOL

    You have an eclectic vibe going on. Definitely look at blinds that go from the bottom up. They will give you privacy, light and a view out the top.

    What do you mean black window boxes? Will not read MCM.

    Cedar and stainless steel cable for stairs sounds awesome and will create enough of a beautiful design statement.

    Lastly, and I hope you don't mind me saying, the rectangle wood end table is not working in that grouping. Needs to be relocated.

    jed_35 thanked visualizemaven
  • 10 years ago

    Your house has a light roof. I like light to mid tone colors with light roofing.

    jed_35 thanked emmarene9
  • 10 years ago

    Of course I don't mind you saying. I want honest opinions. There isn't really anywhere else to put the table though.

    I was thinking window boxes something like this, although not this deep, either in wood or black, with some succulent type plants in them. Are window boxes not considered MCM?

  • 10 years ago

    No window boxes for MCM. And your curtains aren't MCM either. Better to go with shades.


    The plain portion under the windows should be a different color than the body of the house. MCM is all about geometry, massing, strong horizontal and vertical elements, defined angles.

  • 10 years ago

    And here is a more appropriate front door.



    Builders Choice 36 in. x 80 in. Cordovan 5 Lite Clear Glass Painted Fiberglass P · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    also a stainless cable rail can add great wow factor.