Software
Houzz Logo Print
selahbear

Upper kitchen cabinet decor

10 years ago
As you can see, the space is pretty well decorated and there's not a great deal more to do; However, I'm having some difficulty determining what to put in the space above my kitchen cabinets and on the the wall above the cooktop (in front of the bay window). It feels "incomplete" to leave them as they are, yet the space is already a bit busy so I don't want to "over decorate." Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, I'd love it if you could help me determine my personal decorating style. I think I might fit under Transitional" but I'm not really sure. Thanks in advance for your assistance. :)

Comments (18)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    What a beautiful room--you have done a great job! I agree with Amanda, you don't need anything up there.

  • 10 years ago
    Thank You ladies! I really appreciate the feedback. :)..... Oh, and I love the recommendation to add an accent color to that center area. Interior design has always been my "thing," however, I often hit a wall and can't think outside of the box right away. Adding color vs. "stuff" was a perfect solution. Now to find the perfect shade of brown! Any other perspectives are still welcomed. :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It is perfect just the way it is.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks Everyone. Your feedback is appreciated! :)
  • 10 years ago

    Agreed---looks perfect as is. That island-table is awesome! What a clever idea.

  • 10 years ago
    I don't think you need anything there. Everything looks great as is. Great job!
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    B E A utiful room. The idea to go darker with the focal point wall... great idea...everything else is perfect.

  • 10 years ago

    Do you have above-cabinet lighting? I had the same issue as you (wondered what I should put above the cabinets), and someone had suggested putting lighting up there. It makes my kitchen feel brighter and bigger with lights above that darker area. If you want me to take pictures, I can do that. :-)

  • 10 years ago
    Above cabinet lighting would indeed be nice. I have LED strip lights all along the top of my cabinets. Definitely brightens and highlights the cabinets. But I agree with everyone that you should leave the space free of decor. Beautiful home!
  • 10 years ago
    Thank you for the feedback. Upper cabinet lighting was suggested to me yesterday and I've been giving it some thought. I definitely like the idea. As you can see, we already have the wired in lighting underneath the cabinets and I'm a huge fan of that feature. Again, those lights are wired in. I'm having a hard time visualizing how to easily turn them on and off. Can these lights be controlled remotely?
  • 10 years ago
    Alex... I'd love to see a picture. :)
  • 10 years ago

    selahbear, I bought all the necessary lighting and wiring from Inspired LED They are on Houzz (http://www.houzz.com/pro/inspiredled/inspired-led), and I LOVED the experience! If you send pictures of your kitchen, they will give you a design plan that exactly fits your kitchen. I had an electrician come in and he had to poke holes above the cabinets (and then covered them up) and add in another light switch to a group of light switches, where it turns all the lights on at the same time. But it wasn't complicated. Here are pictures of my kitchen at night without the above-cabinet lighting on and then with the lighting on so you can see the difference.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Let me know if you have any questions. The items I bought from Inspired LED were NOT expensive at all!! And I got a dimmer so I can have them bright or less bright. :-)

  • 10 years ago
    Put nothing but soft white lighting!!!! It would light up the space wonderfully and add height to the kitchen area. I did this in my home and adore it. Lighting does wonders!
  • 10 years ago

    I wouldn't put any objects, & Alex511 stole my thunder w/ his lighting suggestion. Indirect lighting will not only add dramatic effect, it will keep the dark areas from looking like one doesn't want to know what's up there, i.e. clean.

  • 10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I'll be traveling next week, on business, but once I'm back, upper cabinet lighting will be a priority. I'll follow up with you all individually if I have specific questions........ I'm excited. Thanks again!!!! :)
  • 10 years ago
    Alex... Your kitchen is lovely and I can see the significant difference the lighting makes. Thank You for sharing!