Software
Houzz Logo Print
luvbeautifulthings

Undertones from hell.

10 years ago

We bought this house. It's got so many good features and so many bad ones. The bad ones are hard to fix. Here's the bad. The foyer floor is cream marfil marble with a black border and a medallion with lots of mahogany tones. The stair rail is also mahogany. My overall taste is fresh and clean. The kitchen was remodeled in whites and grays. Advice on a good paint color to freshen up this foyer? I'm thinking of painting the railing white. Good idea?


It's a North facing entry with lots of light coming from the West in mid-late day. The stairs are covered in Ram Board because we're remodeling the master bath upstairs. But underneath the step is crema and the riser is black marble UGH!

Comments (16)

  • 10 years ago

    I think a white railing would look jarring here. You might consider painting the sides of the steps to match your trim, which would lighten things up quite a bit, but then leave the steps and railings a bit darker. (Is this currently a painted or a stained finish? it looks very uniform. maybe refinishing to a real wood tone would help.)

    The style of the house is Mediterranean. I'm not sure how far you can push it toward modern grey-white-shaker sensibilities without practically starting over. You may need to compromise in some places.

    luvbeautifulthings thanked acm
  • 10 years ago

    I agree that moving towards a lighter/cleaner look is definitely challenging. The floors have been so bossy. Most of the rest of the house looks lighter now with Edgecomb gray and natural fabrics. The kitchen is still traditional but perhaps more Parisian with calacatta marble counters. But the paint must be changed in the foyer. How about painting the trim black and the walls revere pewter? I feel that white may look too boring without a lot of fancy molding.

  • 10 years ago

    I would pick up the colour of the floor and us that shade to paint the walls , and paint the railing, hand rail and the side of the risers all in a glossy black

    refined traditional · More Info

    luvbeautifulthings thanked Geneviève
  • 10 years ago

    So I looked up decorators white and it is indeed beautiful without being too boring. And the photo above is gorgeous! I think railing black and trim white would do a lot. Thanks!


  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Which is which on the stairs?

  • 10 years ago

    The tread is cream. The riser is black. Opposite to what is usually seen. :(

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Then I would definitely paint the woodwork and mahogany black. I think it will tie it in better (as typically risers are the wood work color).

    Maybe you need to find a fabric first to find a wall color. You could upholster a bench or something for the entry.


    This paint is BM classic gray.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    atiman, start your own dilemma. This one belongs to luvbeautifulthings.

    luvbeautifulthings thanked JudyG Designs
  • 10 years ago

    @atiman, you can start your own thread, but quickly this is all -

    Jonathan Charles Walnut 2-Seater Salon Settee Cane Back Upholstered Seat 492247 · More Info

  • 10 years ago

    Yes, right now the wall has no artwork or any other colors that would tie this all together, so starting with fabrics from my adjacent living room or a piece of art, might help a lot. And if I paint all of the trim black (actually my first inclination but all of my friends said no way), then a nice white would be a fresh contrast.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Your problem, as some of us have commented is the mahogany. If that's gone, then most of the problem is gone. You are left with two colors and not three.

    White won't do it...to stark.

    Your only other choice is to paint all the woodwork a tone to match the crema marfil. Then that gives you the two colors again.

    I'd vote for either choice if it rids you of the mahogany. Just way too Mediterranean for how you want to design your home.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    puremichigan60...how do you like this new CSP color from BM?

    I just used it on a client's wall in new construction. We wanted white, but something more in the stone white you are recommending. And, there are lots of black accents in the new room. I don't think my client would mind my showing her art work that was our inspiration.

    This is Plaster of Paris and the walls came out so gorgeous.

    joanne · More Info

    luvbeautifulthings thanked JudyG Designs
  • 10 years ago

    I will try this color. It's so pretty. Do you have pictures Judy?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Not yet...three more rooms to go. Will do, but it may not be done in time for you. Give it a generous try on an area...make sure you roll it twice and let it dry in between.

  • 10 years ago

    I've decided to put a patterned carpet runner on the stairs, maybe an animal print or geometric pattern. Wall color will definitely be chosen to complement it but I'm going for a light gray or creamy white. Thanks to all who helped me resolve this.