Software
Houzz Logo Print
pumpkinkp

Replacing Garage Door

10 years ago

Help! We are in need of a new garage door and I am overwhelmed by the choices. I think I'd like windows but feel they need to be rectangular to match the house windows. My husband is thinking wood, I'm thinking white. Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

  • 10 years ago
    It's hard to find a two-toned garage door on houzz but something like this. Obviously they painted this garage door to stand out but you can do a much more subtle colour combo if needed.
    Antique Colonial · More Info
  • 10 years ago
    A single door in the carriage style with one row of windows above eye level, painted to blend in with the house. (Windows at the top so nobody can look inside, and you don't need to turn on the light during the day if you just want to go get the pliers.)
    Kathy Page thanked felizlady
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you, Clay Aragon, for the picture with the wood door. It's beautiful. Certainly something to consider.

    Felizlady, like the windows at the top, but not sure I want to paint anything! That would be another decision as to color!!!! I'm bad at that.


  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It's often recommended a garage door blend in with the house. New ones come in various colors, and they can be painted too.

    Posting several, larger pictures showing the entire house will help with specific color suggestions, but generally, consider something other than white.

    Kathy Page thanked PPF.
  • 10 years ago

    Great idea PPF. Here is another picture. We have added on to a ranch with a second story and a porch. Hope this helps.

  • 10 years ago
    after seeing the whole house..do your husband's wood door with windows.
  • 10 years ago
    Hubby has it! Good job hubby!
  • 10 years ago

    Clay Aragon, do you know if this Clopay garage door is natural or faux wood. Pricing the natural is cost prohibitive. But the picture looks great. Just don't have experience with faux wood and how it will look.

  • 10 years ago

    Hi. I just had the same situation trying to decide exterior redo. I found Kevin strader from creative visual concepts on houzz pro. He makes mock ups so you can try different thing and actually see it! He is very talented and reasonable. Starts at $25 I found it well worth it! No costly mistakes. My contractor was amazed. Here is my before and after

  • 10 years ago
    Beautiful
  • 10 years ago
    wood doors are heavier and require strong opener motors. can you get a wood grain metal one with windows?
    Kathy Page thanked kathleen MK
  • 10 years ago
    As it is, you've broken the line of the house by using such a contrasting colour on the garage.
    Kathy Page thanked jbtanyderi
  • 10 years ago

    Kathleen MK, I can get a wood grain steel, but so far in my search I have only seen fake looking ones. I still have one more estimate to go, so maybe I'll find the one I am looking for.

    jbtanyderi, the siding is such a pale yellow and hard to match, I expect you are suggesting a wood grain to go with the brick? or paint?