iamerica75

Need help with new start.

iamerica75

I've just relocated for Indiana to NC and purchased a new home. We decided to leave all of our old furniture behind. I want to take my time to find furnishing that really speak to me but my husband is in a rush to lounge in what will be his first recliner. For that reason, I'd really like some ideas on what I can do with this family room space. It shares a wall will the kitchen, which will be painted Sage Splendor. The remaining walls will be SW Latte or Kilim Beige. (She loves Latte, he prefers Kilim Beige) We have 3 teens and two dogs so we need furniture that will match our crazy.

We're eventually going to install a home theater but for now, we need this area to seat 5 for movie night.

I'll work on getting dimensions posted.

Family room · More Info

• iamerica75

llkrdh - I KNOW!! I'm super excited about the options. There's a Floor and Decor about 20 minutes from my house! In Indiana I had to drive nearly 2 hours to the neighboring state to get to Floor and Decor.

• decoenthusiaste

If you find a piece of furniture you love, get the measurements and tape out the silhouette on the floor with painter's tape to be sure. Cort Furniture Rental is a "step above" if you have one near to where you're moving.

https://www.cort.com/?gclid=CM2OxsbDxs0CFQKTaQodKFIKdA&sc_cid=ps_gg_xx_res_BrandKeywords&s_kwcid=AL!4542!3!85394186725!e!!s!!cort%20furniture%20rental&ef_id=Vxfe1gAAARaJSzjZ:20160626202643:s

iamerica75 thanked decoenthusiaste

Need help on where to start on building new home on our own lot. )

This is WAY too big an investment of money, time & emotion, to make a decision based on an online poll! Suggest you start doing some serious data collection & number-crunching!! Talk to professional architects & builders, and people who've actually built their own home in your area. Start looking at houses on the market, to see the prices for what you'd like, and if buying would also entail renovation projects afterwards.

Need help!! New house =fresh start!

Without standing right there in the space, it's hard to say, but my thinking is that you already have the darker FP (even though it is temporary), and the window is quite striking in its own right. So, if you did the window wall darker, you will probably end up with competing focal points. In other words, I would paint all the walls the same color, and keep that darker color on the FP. It is very pretty, btw, and so is the art - great choice! Another thing you could do so that the choice of wall color becomes part of an overall color scheme is to buy sofa pillows in various blue patterns. Then you have introduced a blue/brown color scheme. Even though your walls will technically be grey, in such a large amount the undertone will be more obvious. So, you will notice that some of the walls appear more blue than grey, depending on light exposure, etc. Please, please post results once you have painted - it will be a lot of fun to see the results!

New help getting started on enclosing garage and building new one

Here's a view of existing garage. New garage would go when you see Jeep parked so you could drive straight in.

Need help to start my new home design

Best place to start is to look at some pre-made plans to get an idea of what you'd like. If you aren't planning on working with a full service builder then you will want to find an architect who can help you design your home and guide yiu through the process.
  • everdebz

As bad as overstuffed: the papason!? I loved mine cause so comfy. Good for the rounded shape and emergency tuck-under.... :)

Blazing Needles Double Papasan Cushion - 93304-SOL-BK · More Info

• iamerica75

everdebz you're killing me! LOL

• everdebz

Gee glad to be of service. What material is the spiral? metal in a grey - nice and contemporary... ? I'd consider a bit of that color and style in the room then...

• everdebz

I know, I gotta stop but I wanted to see if a silvery sage [not yellow-green] could look nice. I like this:

Hand Tufted Oushak Earse Broken Motif 1070-A Sage Blue Rug 5x7.6 · More Info

iamerica75 thanked everdebz
  • everdebz

one more - have you ever seen this in a grouping, nice.

Sage Blue Blossom Art Glass Wall Plate · More Info

• iamerica75

everdebz - I love the first rug! There are very few colors that I don't like, mostly in the neon family, but I've never really lived with blue. This shade is so comforting. I'm drawn to earth/jewel tones (I'm a true Pisces) so this plate is someplace waiting for me to bring it home!

• iamerica75

WHOA!! On second thought, there's a plate just like this one, only it's a little rough around the edges, waiting on me to look past this $300 treasure and see that, with a little polishing, it too can be a jewel. ;)

Wintrup Developments
    Start with adding capentry, such as 7 1/4 baseboards and backband to your casing .
    Pamela Qarbaghi

I usually start with art, although a rug also works. I find my focal point in the room and decide on that first. I hang the art, and then I begin filling in the room around it. It directs my color choices and keeps me on track. You can look for original art here. http://www.houzz.com/projects/1295077/art-original-abstract-paintings After the main piece of art, I usually choose the rug as the next piece, deciding the boundaries of the area. That informs the furniture selections and scale of everything. Good luck!

Art - Original Abstract Paintings 36 x 36 · More Info

Art - Original Abstract Painting, 36 x 36 · More Info

SOLD!!!-Art - Original Abstract Paintings 30 x 40 SOLD!!! · More Info

iamerica75 thanked Pamela Qarbaghi
  • havingfun

sapphire is one of my favorite jeweltones.

8x10 Blue Rugs | eSaleRugs · More Info

Blue 5' x 8' Monaco Rug | Area Rugs | eSaleRugs · More Info

• everdebz

Not cheap / flickering abstract shapes -

Timeless Peacock Oriental Vintage Distressed 8'6"x11'6" Nourison Rug · More Info

• havingfun

everz, can we share your pocket book?

• felizlady
    We needed comfortable seating in our den, but due to the space restrictions, I decided to find two lighter silhouette recliners...the wife should rate a recliner, too. I found exactly what I needed at LazyBoy. Two comfortable recliners with narrow arms in a camel color fit the space. Most recliners have that overstuffed roll arm which takes up so much extra space. If you are thinking of a home theater in the future, why not get a recliner for everyone? Your room is large, so a large interesting rug might help with sound quality and would give the space definition.
  • iamerica75

Everdebz, of course I darted right past you note "not cheap" and clicked to see the details on that beautiful peacock rug. We can all dream right? Actually I love using high end pieces as inspiration for my selections.

• iamerica75

felizlady it sounds like I need to make a trip to LazyBoy. You're the second person to suggest them.

• iamerica75

PQ I went to FurnitureLand and got lost in the art section with the same thinking, that if I fall in love with a piece of art I could build from there. Of course I fell in love with a piece that blew the whole budget and retreated to Starbucks for a timeout as punishment for getting beside myself.

• Michele Jarosz
    Year ago there was a decorator who had a tv show. Chris something, he said if you don't know your style start a scrapbook of any magazine clippings you like of furniture or wall colors or rugs, lamps etc. you and your husband could do that and eventually, looking at the pics you'll see your style. I did that and it really worked. I had been living with hand me downs and mismatched furniture while my kids were little and it was time for the good stuff. I took the scrap book with me when I bought, paint, carpeting, curtains etc. As I added pieces I took a picture and added it to the book. Have fun it's exciting.
  • Ramona

lazy boy is not quality; however, they have nice slim recliners

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek

The modern scrapbook is the Houzz ideabook, you can take it to stores on your phone. You can collaborate using it with your contractors too.

• Ramona

I have these in pale yellow

Ferguson High Leg Recliner · More Info

Rugs USA - Area Rugs in many styles including Contemporary, Braided, Outdoor and · More Info

• Ramona

move slowly

if you must have chairs, go neutral

• jbtanyderi
    I presume this is the family room rather than the living room (the clues are "recliner" and "movie night".
  • Michele Jarosz
    Hey, we didn't have computer in the 80's
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek

Michele, once you explore collaborating with pros on ideabooks, you won't go back. I still believe in manufacturers samples, take those with you too.

• debqhix
    If you liked FurnitureLand South, they have a Clearance Center in High Point. It's on Main Street. Everything there is marked down and then has a colored sticker on it that corresponds to another 10-30% off. They also have a last chance building behind the clearance center, it has rugs and accessories too. Keep an eye out for Furniture Market sample sales (Market is in April & October, sales will be right before and right after).
    iamerica75 thanked debqhix

Were your home mine, the very first thing I would do is paint the spiral staircase black. It will make it more interesting and connect with the color of the fireplace.

2011 HHL Living Room · More Info
    Choose one color for your walls...maybe light gray...this is BM gray tint.

Graytint 1611 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
    Hang a huge canvas over the fireplace. You need more height on that wall, and this will do it.
    Not a huge investment. Now you can work with grays and whites and blacks and taupes and creams and silver to make the room complete.

Looks as if your room could accommodate something like this: and hubby gets his comfy spot.

Rossini Circular Sofa, White Leather · More Info

• havingfun

michele, i did my style the same way. i love houzz, but something about gluing those pics in everyweek then writing next to them what drew me, it really helped.

• Ramona

Like the idea of painting the spindles black

Please don't paint another set of walls gray

This trend is already a decade old

• decoenthusiaste

Claremont Residence · More Info
    Yes, black stairs for sure! Would you consider removing the chair rail? Looks a bit stodgy with the contemporary stairs. You could take a fireplace treatment all the way up for balance with the stairs. Have you decided to replace the spiral with a more traditional stair?

iamerica75 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Ramona

most people want to remove chair rails. boo on that

make stairway more traditional instead

gather inspiration photos before you make any big decisions

plan and check and recheck

it is worth it

• leelee

Get a Zero Gravity chair for now. Later it can be moved to a deck or patio.

• leelee

The chair rail is too high to even be called a chair rail. It will interfere with hanging art. It really needs to go.

• anniebird
    I love the black painted stair idea as well as deco's suggestion to take the fireplace treatment up to the ceiling. I think your current fireplace looks a little lonely hanging there in the middle of the wall. Not sure of your budget, but a wall of built-ins (with room for a large TV to to left of the fireplace) would bring visual balance and function to the space. The spiral staircase says "rustic", "modern" or "transitional" to me, so I'd remove the chair railing and embrace one of those styles. Also, the ceiling fan ought to go so you can hang a fabulous light there - a large pendant or chandelier that brings personality to the space and brings the ceiling down into the room. I vote for a sectional couch - they're great for family lounging and space conservation, and you can absolutely be comfortable in them.
  • Michele Jarosz
    You definitely need something that's cleanable like leather couch/chairs. Having dogs is a messy proposition as I'm sure you're aware.
  • Michele Jarosz
    Also I wanted to say, a 9x12 or 8x10 rug so the dogs aren't sliding all over the place
  • everdebz

back to the sage wall - you sure you can't like one or the other paint? My kitchen and open area was a latte color and nicely neutral.

• everdebz

How about a lower level 3-D wall ?

• everdebz

What if you were to keep your palette down to blues and copper/wood/natural tones? Texture.

Kalco Chemical Bronze 5-Light Chandelier With Bronze Bubble Glass · More Info

• everdebz

Silver 'ball' would help highlight nearby blue -

Caviar Adj Md Polished Nickel/Clear Glass Cluster · More Info

• everdebz

8 x 10 [right size?] for $600.

8'x10' Handmade Geometric Duri Kilim Cotton And Sari Silk Oriental Rug · More Info

• iamerica75

Michele - I think you're referring to Christopher Lowell. I LOVED watching his show! I still live by his, "no white walls" mantra.

• iamerica75

I wish I could reply directly to each post but, since I can't, here goes. I hate the stairs (I think they're interesting but dangerous) but I like what they do for the space. A more traditional stair would cut the room by 1/3. I also am not too fond of the color and have no reservations about making them black. Should everything but the wood be painted?

• iamerica75

Ok, we've spent the last hour using our dining chairs as makeshift furniture. As I sit here giving consideration to your suggestions, the "chair rail" is no doubt too high. I hadn't considered my dislike for the trim pieces/chair rail & stairs could have developed from this mismatched styles fighting to exist together in the same space. So, the stairs have to stay which means the rail is out. We'd already discussed stone up the wall behind the fireplace and at our front door (which also has 20' of height.) Hubby loves the idea of painting the stairs black.

• iamerica75

About the paint, the wall of the fireplace is the only wall solely designated to the space. The other two walls are shared (to the right is shared with the kitchen, to the left is shared with the second floor) with no demarcation for transitioning colors. So the question is, am I ok with painting my whole house the same color.

I'll need to sleep on that.

• havingfun

you know, i am watching and i really would love to help, i love chris lowell, but i am thoroughly lost?! can some one just let me know when we get to things like windows rugs and pillows, i think i can be less confused there?

• havingfun

though i do really like the thought of copper with a good strong blue.

You may hate the spiral staircase, but to replace it with a conventional up to code one would take up most of your room. Call in a builder. You may be disappointed in your options.

• everdebz

Obvious with blue-ish would be a beachy look - not in your plan?

Instead of stark black could be darkest pewter or darkest bronze-brown.