Software
Houzz Logo Print
shmoobelle

Help, please! Colors for sash and capping - replacement windows

10 years ago
Hello all,

We're in the final stages of choosing replacement windows, which need to be installed sometime over the next few weeks.

We had planned on doing a medium/dark brown sash with lighter colored capping/wrapping but found out yesterday that we're basically limited to white or beige on the exterior. Other colors cost $160 per window. *jaw drop*. We'd planned on signing a contract yesterday and are now scrambling to settle on a new idea.

Help!

* The house = 1960s ranch with orangey-red brick and driftwood (medium brown) roof. We have removed the black shutters you see in the photo and plan on leaving shutters off.

*The replacement windows will likely be casement with prairie-style grid.

*I was drawn to the dark grids/sash with lighter trim. I like the pop it gives. I also thought dark would be keeping it closer to prairie style, in general.

*I don't necessarily want to do white, but I'm really not feeling beige for the windows. In my mind, it seems dirty/dank. Am I wrong? What do you think of beige windows?

*Because I can't do dark windows, I'd like to do a medium/dark trim/capping. I'm thinking something taupe ('storm' - revere siding - I'll try to post a photo.) Would it be weird to have white windows and dark capping? Would it be better to do a lighter brown? Would beige look better than white for window grids and sashes?

*you can see we currently have yellowish beige capping and small amount of siding. I don't care for this and would like to choose a new color (like the storm mentioned above). Should I go with a new color for capping knowing that we'll replace the siding within a couple of years or should we match the existing siding and change it all at once?

I'm having such a hard time finding rules of thumb when it comes to exterior window and trim colors. I appreciate any advice or suggestions for resources. Thanks!