Software
Houzz Logo Print
crystalfromvictoria

I need ideas to make kitchen brighter and more modern

10 years ago

I am looking for suggestions to brighten the kitchen in this condo I just bought. Hoping I can get away with new counters and backsplash as well as cook top. I do love the look of backsplash matching counters but hate Black


Galaxy granite

Comments (34)

  • 10 years ago

    I also need to mention budget is $3200. New stainless cook top is $900 so $2300 left to work with and I can get counters for decent prices

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Great base here. Below are some of our designs, which might help you get started.

    Custom New Build · More Info


    Keble Crt · More Info

    Kitchen Renovation · More Info

    crystal thanked Lumar Interiors
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    With $2,300 left I would focus on the backsplash, looks like the ceiling is dropped so some pendent lights over the island should be possible, bar stools and other decorative items.

    Graham


    crystal thanked The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
  • 10 years ago

    I think you could get away with just replacing the counter and backsplash near the range and adding pendants and bar stools.

    crystal thanked Elle
  • 10 years ago

    Here is a photo that I like the look...I don't want marble though becaues it's too high maintenance for my kitchen...if I could find a quartzite or granite like this that would be great.

    Russian Hill - John Maniscalco Architecture · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think you will need to up your budget if plan to replace the tops.

    Graham

    crystal thanked The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
  • 10 years ago

    There isn't as much counter space as it may look. I did a similar kitchen with much more counter space and more finished edges with angles in my rental and it was $1700 incl tax and install for quartz....as I mentioned I can get a good deal.

  • 10 years ago

    When I redid my kitchen I splurged on Ann Saks tile which I loved. Cabinets were simple & white and at the time I was about to get a quartz/silestone countertop through Costco (they don't seem to sell them anymore) but I was really happy with splurging on the backsplash. I got tons of compliments.

    crystal thanked Amy N
  • 10 years ago

    Would love to see a pic!

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    So I priced out the all counters and back splash plus waterfall on island in calacatta vicostone not including new sink and garberator Im at $4400. I've increased my budget to $7k so have money for new light over dining table area. I personally am not a fan of pendants but am open to ideas. Any suggestions for dining table and chair style and dining light? I currently have the white laquer look with Madison chair but want to make it more classy. I love bling, chandeliers, velvet plus fur.

  • 10 years ago

    current dining set

  • 10 years ago

    current sofa which I love...except pillows those are long gone...replaced with same color Alpaca/fur pillows.

  • 10 years ago

    More pics of the space

  • 10 years ago

    NZ shag rug in a shocking color would probably satisfy your love for bling.

  • 10 years ago

    I have alot of pricey accessories in storage they are teal, white, cream and chrome...Im up for a rug to hide the floors...I don't like the color of the floors but got a couple quotes and had to draw the line and they are in new condition.


  • 10 years ago
    You have great taste. I think I would change the cabinet handles as well (I'm having a hard time getting a good look at them).
    crystal thanked Barbara Simpson
  • 10 years ago

    Im trying to find a way to fill the holes and just do a hidden pull underneath. The handles are a bit clunky looking I totally agree.

  • 10 years ago
    Hi Crystal,
    Funny! I know exactly where you live. I live in the same building. We have been here for 6 years. Agree that the black granite is not nice! We bought new and I couldn't justify ripping out brand new counters. So, living with it. Good for you for making the change.

    We are on the south side of the building and get lots of light during the day.

    This is what we did. Hubby was in agreement with my plans.
    -Added light colour leather bar stools
    -Pendant light over dining table. There wasn't anything there when we bought. Developer left it blank. Which I preferred.
    -Added new (but same) custom built cabinetry in dining room with built in coffee maker, warming drawer, bar fridge.
    *Neolith estuary countertop. Looks like marble but no maintenance. Love this!
    *stainless steel lighted cabinets in this area to brighten up dark cabinets.
    -custom built fireplace surround with same Neolith stone to match new cabinet area in dining room.

    My next project is the den. Should be fun.

    Have fun with your new place.
    crystal thanked majones123
  • 10 years ago

    Wow I love what you did! I just bought the unit...move in August 5th! (We just sold in Promontory). Do you mind me asking where you got the Neolith estuary...currently I am leaning towards Calcutta Vicostone but I love your look and would like to check it out. Our unit is a 1BR 871sqft so cozy for 2 of us plus pooch! Thanks for sharing the great pics I am now excited to be keeping the floors!

  • 10 years ago
    Hey there!
    Thanks! We are pretty happy with the changes to the place. It suits us.
    We got the Neolith from Stone Age Marble on John St. Giovanni did all the counters in Bayview kitchens and bathrooms originally. I told him I didn't like the black granite and wanted marble but knew I couldn't deal with the maintenance. I planned the fireplace stone and new counter area to have same stone. Intentionally done.
    Stone Age did all the stone work for the penthouse in Promontory.
    Welcome to the building!
    Mandy
    crystal thanked majones123
  • 10 years ago

    Crystal, the first thing that came to mind when I saw your kitchen was installing a mirrored backsplash. It'll make your kitchen brighter by reflecting the light coming in through the opposite window and of course give the illusion of more space.

    Metallic pendant lights like the ones below would match your fridge and add that modern touch.


    http://www.infosofa.com/kitchen-mirrors-kitchen-contemporary-with-mirror-backsplash/

    crystal thanked oscolaidhe
  • 10 years ago

    I was there yesterday...they are one month turnaround but I should get my quote tomorrow. I can usually get a good price on counters but my guy only carries basics so I had to expand the budget but that's fine. See you soon!

  • 10 years ago

    I don't mind the look of the mirror back splash but I have a full time job and I think keeping that clean would be my second full time job unfortunately.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    2 or 3 Amazing light pendants and artwork on the perpendicular wall will make a huge difference.

    The backsplash in whitish glass can brighten up the place and may even change your mind about replacing the countertops.


    crystal thanked The Creative Edge, Inc.
  • 10 years ago

    I feel it's actually pretty easy keeping a mirror back splash clean! Just a once-over with glass cleaner after cooking which with a full time job probably doesn't get too hardcore (?) I imagine other back splashes could involve more maintenance: tiles for instance get dirt in the grout, and need I be reminded about the blasted concrete screed back splash I have!

  • 10 years ago

    OK so back splash and counters are in.....the granite place I normally deal with couldn't get the product I want (carries basic granite and quartz from China) $9800 later and my kitchen is done but the custom fireplace surround won't be here until Friday. It looks much better in person but I am very happy with it except one mitred corner on the island isn't quite right but I can live with it. Now on to furnishing...I'm going to sell my dining set now and get something else plus need some living room chairs etc....maybe paint. I'll post pics when fireplace gets finished...for now here is the kitchen.

  • 10 years ago
    Kitchen turned out terrific! Can't wait to see the rest.
    crystal thanked Wendy
  • 10 years ago
    A live edge dining table with modern chrome base could be cool.
    crystal thanked Wendy
  • 10 years ago

    Well seeing I got so many great ideas from everyone....next step..new dining suite and living room chairs...do I paint the walls...ceiling...dining light. Help I'm at a stand still. My budget on furniture isn't limited seeing I can take those things with my if I get transferred and have to move again. Lighting and things that have to stay I don't need to be cheap but no 10k dining fixture.

  • 10 years ago

    I would like to replace the blinds but the building doesn't allow it....I will bring it up at the AGM and see if it can be voted on. I didn't know these blinds were still in existence .
    Sorry for the lousy pics.

  • 10 years ago

    I seem to gravitate towards this style of dining chair with upholstery. I've decided to move away from my white chrome leather style and would like something more luxurious.

    for head of table
    Different fabric or colors. I don't know...Im at a stand still.

  • 10 years ago

    The fireplace doesn't pop off the wall so I'm trying to pick a paint. The surround has some green undertones and I would like to pull out more gray. I have got rid of all the furniture except sofa and coffee table so i'm at a stand still....Suggestions please!!! Was suggested a live edge table but I saw my neighbors and she had a round dining table as a poster suggested and round looks really good.

  • 10 years ago

    Im not as wowed by the fireplace as I was hoping for the price. I think I need to paint the wall so it pops