Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisalarsen22

Which vanity mirror?

lisalarsen22
7 years ago
Below is a pic of my master vanity. How do I design the mirror? The light has to be at the top. Do I ....

1. frame out the whole back with a light IN the mirror and no wall showing?

2. Or, place the frame just below the light out with a 2" frame and a little bit of wall around it?

Thank you!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Inside Design
    7 years ago

I like having no wall showing. You get a clean look and get double the light because of the reflection. The only downside is the cost of drilling the holes. Pretty space!

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I was thinking it would look cleaner too, but does the light look funny because it reflects in the mirror? Seeing 4 lights instead of two?
  • lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Can anyone help with this? I'm still a little unsure.
  • acm
    7 years ago

if only there were a huge database of bathroom photos that could be searched in order to see how this looks.... oh wait! Houzz!

Bathrooms · More Info

jack and jill bathroom · More Info

Bathroom · More Info

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Lol, yes, I know! I'm just looking for opinions on what would work best in my space. Debating between a large or small framed mirror look and not sure which to do.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    7 years ago

I love the look of the light fixture floating on the mirror. If you can do this, I think you'd be very happy.

• lisalarsen22
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you!
  • acmarkel1
    7 years ago
    I generally don't like the full mirror lol but I think in this space (where you already have a division in terms of the vertical cabinet) the full piece is ideal. Seems like the best bathrooms with the light mounted onto the mirror has the light facing up - and i think that would negate the issue with too much light reflecting in the mirror.
  • aries61
    7 years ago

@lisalarsen22, I don't have a comment about the mirror ,but was wondering how wide the vanity and counter cabinets are. Thanks

• PRO
    JAC Design
    7 years ago
    Definitely utilize the entire space for the mirror. For an even cleaner look you could use the mirror that is backlighted with LED. These are available in many configurations offering abundant light.
  • felizlady
    7 years ago
    I see no ceiling lighting in your photo, so the light produced by the wall fixtures may be the only lighting in the bathroom. In that case, I would suggest that EACH wall fixture should have two bulbs. That may give you enough light for hair, makeup and/or shaving.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Do you have vanity/makeup area? I think a framed oval or rectangular mirror above each sink works better. You could mount a pullout lighted mirror inside your tower that you can pull out for make up. No amount of light above will give you light you need for make up. Alternatively, the electrician could lower junction box and you could mount large mirror with lighted edges.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Back-Lighted Mirror With 2 Vertical Lights · More Info

Ilana 24-Inch Round LED Lighted Wall Mirror by Civis USA · More Info
    This is type of "lighted" mirror I mentioned. They are very effective. You probably would get a "change notice" from your builder to pay for these, unless he/she owes you? A large mirror with bar light is cheapest approach for builders. I question the location of the junction box. It should be about 4" lower to accommodate the bar plate of a bar fixture. So, the builder didn't put the junction box in quite the right position either. I think you have some good options to consider here. Good luck. I see this problem every day!

• PRO
    Chi Renovation & Design
    7 years ago

Below are a few lighting options, from our portfolio, for your dilemma in your bathroom area.

Downtown Condo Makeover · More Info

Simple Bathroom Renovation with Walk-in Shower · More Info

Wrigleyville Bathroom · More Info

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    7 years ago

Two framed mirrors

• leelee
    7 years ago

The tower is great and practical. You don't have to have an over mirror light. Try sconces on the right and left of the mirrors. Or pendants hung over each mirror.

Also, tear out the mini backsplash and go to the ceiling with tile backsplash on right, left and back wall.