Software
Houzz Logo Print
patcsw

Need help with my kitchen which doesnt go w my house

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

I bought a lovely Victorian in Vermont recently. The owners had just spent a great deal of money renovating their kitchen with cherry glass front cabinets, lots and lots of granite - and a monster range hood in place of what was probably a lovely window (there is a nice window over the sink) I cant afford a complete re-do, but I would like to paint the cabinets white and get rid of the granite - replace it w soap stone - and use bead board around the island, and maybe the back splash...am I crazy? Im not young - so re-sale is an issue. Thanks- oh and yes, get rid of the microwave -replace w drawers. Move the stove - replace the window? Help.

Comments (19)

  • 10 years ago
    It's a nice looking kitchen. Are you sure you want to sink so much money into changing it? I don't know how recently you moved in, but I would suggest living with it for a year at least and then see how you feel.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    You are just being stir-crazy. Nice kitchen. Change paint on island if you want change... Add your own personality. It is OK to have a functional kitchen in a victorian home.

  • 10 years ago

    yes, thats my plan - its about 9 months so far - at first I was determined to redo the whole thing....but now Im ok w a moderated version. I definitely can live w it - and its a nice kitchen to work in....I guess my main question is am I hurting my re-sale possibilities if I simplify the kitchen and paint those cabinets.I would love to get rid of that range hood and put the other window back in...

  • 10 years ago
    I wouldn't do a thing unless I had money to burn.
    Where would you place the microwave of you loved it? Another undercounter space would produce same result and above a range is a bad place for a microwave. The floor is the most incongruent thing to me but it's clean and I'd live with it.
    Focus on another part of the house, this space is fine IMO.
  • 10 years ago
    Have you ever had soapstone counters? I put them in my new kitchen and they scratch & chip very easily. However, there are granites that have a very similar look but are much more durable.

    The room looks a bit dark & I think the hood overwhelms the space. If the hood can be changed, I'd start there. And I agree about getting rid of the microwave - as long as you have a good place to relocate it. Mine is in my pantry - LOVE having it out of sight.
    Patricia thanked Robin Gladstein
  • 10 years ago

    If u don't need the space in the uppers, you can add two smaller Windows flanking stove. You'll need hood for ventilation. Post more pics of kitchen.

  • 10 years ago
    Oh, and if you want to paint the cabinets, go for it! Especially if you change to a dark countertop . . . and at second look, the island looks too yellow/cream for the cool grays in the counter & floor. I'd paint it a true accent color - maybe from an upholstered piece in the adjoining room, or a throw pillow, and possibly change the countertop on just the island to make it the focal point of the room. Good luck!
    Patricia thanked Robin Gladstein
  • 10 years ago


    Philadelphia Chestnut Hill Kitchen Remodel "Intimate Victorian" · More Info
    Paint and beadboard will be your most economical answer and I would try them first. Also, if you paint your cabinets consider painting the range hood a different colour, but all white would make it blend in more. I think the white cabinets and the white beadboard will make a significant difference in your space. This picture also shows the white cabinets with granite, which will be more economical to keep instead of a replace with soapstone. Moving the stove, adding window, changing countertop are all considerably more costly options.

  • 10 years ago

    might you swap the wood hood for a stainless one? it would brighten up the space.

    Patricia thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 10 years ago

    Studio Dearborn, can you tell me where the custom hood was made and what material? Is it SS or brushed stainless?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    If you re-install the window where the stove hood is, then you need to move the stove and you're talking about a complete re-do of the kitchen. Very expensive. You can waste a lot of money here and it is a great looking kitchen.

    I think the vent hood is the right size for the stove and would be more noticeable if it was a different material.

    Re-paint the island if you don't like the color, and add better lighting if you feel it is too dark.

  • 10 years ago

    Leave it alone completely unless you want to burn up 20K with little measurable ''improvement'' and zero gain at all in resale. The kitchen is perfectly fine as it is.

  • 10 years ago

    thanks so much for all the feedback (even to do nothing) I really appreciate it! I love the idea of a stainless range hood and painting the cabinets.(and replacing the knobs)..maybe a very simple stainless steel to contrast w the detail of the cabinets? love the idea of a wood top on the island.

  • 10 years ago

    But do you love the idea of spending 20K just for your own enjoyment and no other reason?

  • 10 years ago

    Personally, I'd find the beautiful cherry cabinets to be a big selling point, as opposed to painted. I'd leave them alone. Change the hood for metal if it makes you feel better. Repaint the already painted island. Change out the island top for something 10" wider that allows you to pull up a couple bar stools if you have the space, and it looks like you might. That could add value.

  • 10 years ago

    Can we get a photo showing the sink angle? All the Cherry looks dark from the vantage shown. I think having the cabinets refinished in a "white" paint would do wonders. I don't think re-doing the granite with soapstone would change it up much. Just a different kind of dark.

  • 10 years ago
    Wow - that's a lovely kitchen. I wouldn't spend a penny to change anything in there. It's tasteful, looks brand new and seems nicely suited to a Victorian home.
  • 10 years ago

    Is the island square? If not, how would it look turned the other way.