Software
Houzz Logo Print
mrcubbage

Which plan is better?

10 years ago

Ok first I know there are problems with all three of these plans, however I am trying to help a friend come up with the best option. She can't move the kitchen and can't move the island out any farther because of the entrances to the rooms around it. This house has rooms lots of diagonals which are hard to work with. It is just her and her husband at home and she is the main cook . Cabinets are totally custom so can by any size.

option #1 dishwasher around the angle from the sink


option #2 dishwasher is across the aisle


option#3 dishwasher is next to sink in prep area



Here is how the kitchen relates to some of the rest of the house.




Comments (9)

  • 10 years ago

    I've never had my DW on an angle but I would hate it across because water would drip on floor. I like the sink in middle, DW on one side and trash on the other. In option 3 can trash fit on the other side of sink?

    cubby14 thanked smm5525
  • 10 years ago

    For one cook, I like option #2. I'd keep an old kitchen towel under the sink, to toss on the floor when loading the DW.

    cubby14 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Can't imagine the DW anywhere but next to the sink.

    cubby14 thanked Anglophilia
  • 10 years ago

    My kitchen is a small U, with the sink in the middle. The DW is on an adjacent leg, and "dripping water between sink and DW" has never been a problem for us. First, I don't pre-wash my dishes, though some are rinsed in the sink after meals. But it's only a couple of feet - one or two drips, if any, from each dish. My kitchen floor is tile, so a couple of drips won't do it any harm.

    That said, in this case I would go with option 3.

    cubby14 thanked AnnKH
  • 10 years ago

    Thanks everyone for your opinions, it is a great help to hear everyone's thoughts. My friend and her husband both like different options.

  • 10 years ago

    #3 next to the sink. That's the layout I have now. Sink in middle - dishwasher right - trashcan left.

  • 10 years ago

    I'll add my qualifying thoughts for choosing #3, which I should have included in my previous hit-and-run post. As AnnKH mentioned, the DW across the aisle is a very short distance, and you probably won't need to reach much further than if the DW was beside the sink. If you like to keep the DW open while you prep, to deposit used utensils and vessels, that location will be convenient. You won't be prepping over a steaming DW, although that one is not a big deal to me. Finally, a feature I love--having the trash pull-out under the prep counter is very convenient--crumbs and debris can be brushed directly into the open can below.

    Dish storage might be a little tricky. I'd keep the sink in the same location as plan #1, and store dishes in 24" drawers where the DW is drawn in that plan. Then leave the corner void open, with shelves for glasses or cups. If you wash pots and pans in the DW, unloading them to drawers under the cooktop won't be a problem. Where do you plan to store dishes?

    cubby14 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • 10 years ago

    mama goose I'll need to ask her what her plan is for storing the dishes. I'm having trouble convincing her of the whole drawers are better than doors.

Sponsored
Daniel Home
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin Co, Ohio