Software
Houzz Logo Print
foxhart

Help Modernize This Old Bathroom

13 years ago
I'm about to rent out an un-renovated apartment that was made in the 70's and need help jazzing it up without doing anything permanent like painting the cabinets.

The photos themselves are ones that management sent to me, so I included one of the kitchen since the cabinetry is the same.

What type of decor would you go for to make this look more classy and modern? Bright bold colors? Bamboo accessories? Any ideas are much appreciated.

Comments (12)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I was thinking of placing apothecary jars and faux grass along the shelf over the toilet, maybe on a thin mirrored tray, like in the third photo:
    Horizontal Stripes · More Info

    Potted Wheat Grass · More Info

    Glass Apothecary Jar · More Info


    The brown holder that the faux grass is in made me think some wooden accents might be good, but I'm unsure. I was thinking I could do that with maybe a planked mat for in front of the tub and possibly wooden accessories (soap dispenser, tissue box, etc.) but would that conducive to a modern look? Or maybe only if the wood is dark?
    Lattice Wooden Mat · More Info

    Asian · More Info

    Bamboo Bath Accessories · More Info


    Then I started thinking maybe bolder colors would do better:
    IDGRUND 3-piece bathroom set · More Info

    Fantasy Modern Shag Bath Rug from Vita Futura · More Info

    Faux Plum Blossom Branch · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I think you already have very good ideas. I like the bamboo bath accessories.
  • 13 years ago
    I guess I just don't know what style to go for in the end. For example, would the stainless steel look go better?
    stainless steel bath accessories · More Info


    Or even glass to add some sparkle?
    Set of 3 Edie Glass Jars · More Info


    I also don't know what to do about the mirror. I guess I could take it down, store it, and replace it temporarily, but then the lighting wouldn't be centered...
  • 13 years ago
    You could make a frame for your "builder's grade" mirror. I learned that term as I remodeled my bathroom. The frame looks very easy and inexpensive (although I haven't done it yet!)
  • 13 years ago
    It's clean, light and bright. The mirror is just fine. A renter would be lucky to get such a clean and bright place to rent. You could replace the Hollywood light fixture with something trendier.

    Add a $20 new white shower curtain in the bathroom so that the renter has something to use when she moves in. If you just want accessories for show, add bright towels and a matching soapdish set in kitchen and bathroom, total less than $100.
  • 13 years ago
    I'd go with the wood. Its the best you could do with what you have to work with.
  • 13 years ago
    Potted wheat grass on the shelf behind the commode. The shag rug is nice pop of color.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Sorry, I guess when I said "rent out", I meant that I am about to move into the apartment unit. :)

    I think a frame around the mirror would do nicely, and maybe I can attach it with 3M tabs or something removable. But then there is that awkward small rectangular space between the mirror and the shower.

    I feel like artwork wouldn't fit there. Should I just do one of those tall branch thingies on the ledge?
    Faux Plum Blossom Branch · More Info

    Traditional Bedroom · More Info


    Or a hook for a towel even?

    By the way, thanks for all the input.
  • 13 years ago
    You could look at accessories in a dark stone / ceramic / concrete look to add a depth of colour and a different texture to complement the existing timber accents. Then choose a bold colour for bath mat & towels, and you could add a little framed picture featuring the same bold colour to tie it all together.
  • 13 years ago
    Frame out the mirror in a mdf molding painted in a contrasting color will make things pop out. You can make a frame for less then $20 ..know anyone with a mitre saw ...buy the framing corners from home depot and glue ...a test can of paint or stain and 3M velcro picture hangings strips (they have them in different weights) go with the Purple tones of that shag mat with accent towels and the wooden grass box...and accessories and you have your pop of color without painting the walls ....
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    After looking through so many shower curtains, I'm starting to wonder if modern is even the way to go. I just can't see anything really drawing attention away from the vanity unless the curtain is bold and graphic. Unfortunately, the nice graphic ones I've seen are pretty pricey.

    So now I'm wondering: Would shabby chic fit this bathroom better? What do you guys think?