Software
Houzz Logo Print
ibseyb

Inset drawers in high humidity area prone to settling?

10 years ago

Hi all,

I had my heart set on flat front inset cabinets like these:

Stevenson · More Info
Because I think it would be perfect for my small 1920's house with a modern flavor. In early meetings with my contractor, he said he liked the idea. Most recent meeting to do the final measure for the cabinets, he said he wouldn't recommend inset because of settling. I live in the hot and muggy South, and the house is pier and beam. The front door sticks a bit in the summers. (Maybe I should see about fixing that...) And I have a fine crack in the living room that's appeared since I painted when I moved in 3 years ago.

I read in some discussions here that inset isn't a problem even in houses that move if you have adjustable hinges. My kitchen is going to be almost all drawers though. Two pullouts, doors over washer and dryer, and a door on a broom closet cabinet, otherwise all drawers. You can't make adjustments to a drawer, can you?

Is he right? Should I let the inset cabinets idea go? All advice appreciated, but especially from people in areas with gumbo soil!

Comment (1)