Software
Houzz Logo Print
covert86

wall color

10 years ago

I am in the process of redoing a large bedroom with cathedral ceiling. The rug is in the beige family and the furniture is a pine (Loathe the furniture, but can't change it yet). I would love suggestions on paint color. Thanks!

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Can you provide some direction - are there any colors you enjoy more than others, are there any other existing colors that need to be incorporated, how much light does the room get, what overall mood are you going for? Photos would really help.


  • 10 years ago

    The room gets a great deal of light. I will post some pictures. Thanks!

  • 10 years ago

  • 10 years ago
    I would paint furniture- white & paint walls
    a medium shade of blue/Aqua/ greens.
    covert86 thanked snicole1
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    That's a really spacious room, with a lot of angles going on. It needs focus. I would pick two colors, one strongly saturated and one a warm pale shade. Here's an office I did using this approach. The feature wall is Black Hills Shadow VR094A, and every other surface is Sherbet Pop VR010E.

    If you paint the wall behind the headboard a saturated color, the bed becomes the focal point. I would carry that color onto the two walls that project into the room (the wall to the bed's right if you're in bed, and around the corner as it makes the corner). Paint all the rest -walls, ceiling, baseboards- the pale shade, like I did in the photo. You get enough uplighting to do this, and as you can see from the photo, it makes the room feel a whole lot warmer and more unified than a white ceiling.

    I would avoid anything with pink undertones, as, judging from your photos, it makes your floor seem blue, and brings out the least flattering undertones in your furniture. Stick with colors with yellow/honey undertones (like those in my photo), since they'll best showcase your existing furniture and make the rug seem more neutral.

    Chatham, NY Home Office · More Info

    covert86 thanked Bespoke Decor
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you for the paint ideas. The furniture is a huge issue until I replace it in the future. As for the rug, that will be changed. All three bedrooms are being redone upstairs. The hallway is wood and the rooms will be re-carpeted. Should the rugs be all the same or in the same color family? One bedroom is painted Benjamin Moore's Balboa Mist and the furniture is white and the other has pale pistachio walls and white furniture. This all came about due to my daughter's upcoming wedding...a little over my head now!!!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    It's aesthetically best to have common areas in a similar color family. Bedrooms are very personal (and have doors!), so I encourage personal expression in these spaces, especially for enthusiastic kids.

    I understand how you feel about the furniture. If you choose colors that make it put its best face forward, it'll be its least offensive. And it's true that you can paint or stain some if it if you like. I think part of why it bothers you so is that there's so much of it. I'm not a fan of matchy-matchy sets. Maybe painting or staining one of the pieces in a bold accent color will help break up the sameness.

    covert86 thanked Bespoke Decor
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you so much for your suggestions! You have be super helpful!!

  • 10 years ago

    I agree with Bespoke Decor about having furniture pieces in different colors as opposed to matchy matchy. I love the idea of bed side tables and the headboard being contrast colors.

    covert86 thanked Rachel
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you for your suggestions! I bought the set in the early 90's. It was popular then but now it has become the issue.

  • 10 years ago

    Truth is the furniture made back in the 90's are way better quality than what is being sold nowadays. If I personally had this set, I would paint all pieces besides for the bed, white and put it in my son's nursery. Those pieces make a beautiful nursery set and are actually pretty similar to what is being these days. The bed can actually go in any room even in this color.

    covert86 thanked Rachel