Software
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_gamblin

Cucumbers - wilting and white spots - help!

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago

Hello team,

Let me first say that I love browsing this forum. I have learned a lot from gardenweb.com over my short course of gardening, so I just wanted to say thank you for all the helpful tips!

Today I wanted to ask about some problems I am having with my cucumber vines.
Two main symptoms, that I believe are unrelated:

  1. Massive wilting, after damaged caused in the basal stem (happened on two vines)
  2. Weird white spots on the leaves

I took some pictures (Pictures: Cucumber Photo Album 2016-08-13 , please click the "i" in the upper right hand corner for captions for each picture) and I have some questions.

  1. Are the damages to the vines the notorious cucumber/melon "borer" larvae? How would I tell? I didn't see any orange residue, and I can't see an entry point. But I can still cut the plant open to look.
  2. What on earth are the white spots? Are they from pests, or fungus? I know I have some pest problems too, which I have been managing via weekly spraying's of soapy-pesticide water made from a recipe I found.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Comments (6)

  • 10 years ago

    Jean, Thank you for the notes!


    I agree about their size. :( I didn't realize how puny they were until I saw my friend's cucumber plants which she planted only about a month ago. But she is already in the middle of her second harvest, when we have only had one (fruitless) flowering! Below is a picture of how they normally look. 2/5 plants are affected by these issues.


    We didn't do very much to the soil before planting. It was mostly clay when we installed the raised bed boards, so we dug it out a few inches to get more depth.

    The garden bed is probably about 6" deep from the top soil down to where we dug it out to the hard clay-like soil underneath.

    They were seeded, in late February / early March. I don't know the exact seed date. We are in Houston, TX at hardiness zone 8b/9a.

    The soil mix we used was store-bought raised-bed garden mix, from Miracle-Gro's Nature Care line (link). We filled initially with that, and the topped it off with potting mix of the same brand, sprinkling as needed when the soil settled and/or roots became exposed.

    We haven't fertilized at all, except for putting in some of these fertilizer sticks when they were younger and we still had them lying on the ground.


    Again, thank you for the advice!

  • 10 years ago

    many GWs do not perfer MG soils ...


    and i am concerned your soil? is not deep enough .. and wonder how it drains with the clay below ...


    that said.. i gave up on cukes long ago ... they are a PIA crop and not worth the effort ... and yes.. i also had neighbors who's thrived ... and i still hate them .... lol ... actuallly.. they gave me the few i needed ... and that was a lie ... lol


    dont give up on growing stuff.. just because cukes can be a PIA.. ken

    Rachel Gamblin thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    No fertilizer is one of the problems.

    Shallow root depth, thus also insufficient moisture, are likely to be additional problems for the plants.

    Soil depth should be minimum 8 inches -- i.e. the depth you can turn with a shovel or garden fork. Deeper is better.

    The general process for seasonal flower and /or veggies is this:

    - Dig the soil when it is moist, neither dry nor wet.

    - Mix in at least 2 inches of compost. (Repeat with each successive planting season.)

    - rake smooth

    - distribute a granular veggie (or flower) fertilizer, the amount according to label directions. (Generally similar to a light salting of your dinner.)

    - rake the fertilizer into the soil

    - seed or transplant.

    - follow up with sufficient water to moisten entire root zones.


    Rachel Gamblin thanked Jean
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you, Ken! I will not give up.


    Jean, What would you suggest for a fertilizer type/regimen? I bought some 5-1-1 fish fertilizer to mix with the water but I haven't used it yet.

    Another option would be for us to dig out the bed to 10" deep, and follow the process you described above.

    We water thoroughly every day. Always keeping the soil dark, which can be hard to do in these Houston summers! Admittedly, we didn't start out watering every day, so they probably had some effect on their growth. There is also a limited amount of sun in their area. The plants on the left hand side of the photo have more than the plants on the right.

    I also have more of these seeds. Is it too late in the season for us to try a new planting? These are "Lemon Crystal" cucumbers that we got as a gift.

  • 10 years ago

    When to plant which crops can be a very local issue. The same goes for soil management.

    Questions re when to plant should be directed to your county"s Extension service office. The Master Gardeners there have accurate info for your soil and climate.

    Harris County Extension; Phone:281-855-5600 Web:http://harris.agrilife.org/

    Rachel Gamblin thanked Jean
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio