Software
Houzz Logo Print
stacy__graham_dalton

Would you paint this room?

13 years ago
Still furnishing this room but should it be painted? If so, what color? There will be a large projector screen on the right wall. It's my husbands man cave so needs to be masculine. Any other design opinions greatly appreciated!

Comments (20)

  • 13 years ago
    Put the tv above the fireplace, get brighter bold pillows or cover the pillows to avoid the expense with bold masculine colors like a BLUE. Then yes, paint the room a shade of blue then get one nice area rug to tie in. This room is very beautiful. I love the furniture, it's masculine, the ceilings are great. Good job.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    No, I would not paint this room. I like the soft, light color it is now. The walls have warmth. Going darker will cut the space in half because of the tall vaulted ceiling and will take away from the post and beam detail.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you!
  • 13 years ago
    A deep orange on the fireplace wall, either side of the chimney breast, bt not on the breast itself.
  • 13 years ago
    http://houzz.com/photos/1856176

    I would paint the fireplace wall a warm orange and make it a focal point. Is there a way to add tall bookshelves on both sides of fireplace as well? Arrange the furniture around the fireplace with a warm large rug. Then add other conversation areas for gathering...game area with table and chairs? Hang drapes with the rods a foot or two above windows. Good luck, I love the space!
  • 13 years ago
    I wish I had your room for my husband. He has a lot of taxidermy and you have the space! I like this room! My first thought is to paint the wall with the fireplace. I would go with a rich color since he will be watching movies and such to cut down on glare. The more color you put on the wall, the more the fireplace will stand out. I like the pumpkin colors!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Kathleen, well said! Keep the bones the star!
  • 13 years ago
    I disagree with making the fireplace a focal point. We're men, we don't want to snuggle around a fire with our bros so the TV comes first. We also like cars so maybe, instead of painting the entire room, you could try some racing stripes to add a little visual interest. If you go with painting the fireplace wall orange (which I think is another good idea) maybe try only painting one side of the fireplace orange because men don't tend to like being too "matchy." I think you have a great room here; your husband is a lucky guy!
  • 13 years ago
    LOL! The previous owners had a ton of taxidermy in this room! My husband would love the deep orange! Great idea! The mirror on the mantle is not staying, it's too small. 120" projector screen is going on the right wall. Thanks for the comments, very helpful!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I will not paint any wall but add bright color accesories because of the dark brown all over the room.
  • 13 years ago
    It sort of depends on what kind of person your husband is, whether he's conscious of how things look, and whether he's color-conscious. I like it the way it is, and would recommend focusing color in an area rug and some pillows. It's the bones here that make the room. Color might just be "gilding the lily."
  • 13 years ago
    I think I'm gonna go with NOT painting, adding deep orange pillows on sofa, large indoor (real) tree on the left ( to add color) & warm rug. Obviously still need to accessorize. You can't see in the pic the ping pong table & dart board area but they're there.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Just to add my two cents worth -- I agree with Not painting, but adding color (something other than brown) with rug, pillows and accessories. Also BIG art - if your husband likes cars, big car art in colors that he likes; or perhaps travel photographs of some of his favorite places -- maybe beaches or bridges or architectural shots or anything else that would make him and his friends feel comfortable. Also, some lamps for when they're not watching the screen; and some tables for the drinks and popcorn and pizza! Have a good time with it.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    From the looks of the ceiling beams it appears that the picture shows only 2/3 rd's of the room. Is there a third ceiling fan? That is an amazing room. Is this the main living area of the home or just your lucky husbands man cave? I would not paint the walls but would replace the two white chairs with a darker color. I would not add anymore leather furniture into the space but would reposition the leather bench seating to either side of the large sofa. Add a large rug under the central seating area. Add a large wooden coffee table in front of the sofa. Place the two darker chairs in the same corner in a conversation setting with a small table chest between them. Would hang very large artwork on both sides of the fireplace. Also hang artwork on the right wall behind the large projector screen. Smaller prints along the left wall just above the wood moldings. So much space to fill.
  • 13 years ago
    I feel like the paint isn't doing much for the room. Sure it isnt competing or overwhelming the architecture in the room and I understand accessories will pop it but the paint color leaves me a little cold. It is a caverness space and could possibly use a little cozying up. Gorgeous space nonetheless, I think a neutral paint but perhaps a tiny bit warmer to bring it in closer and less like you are in a gym or arena. The paint also blends in to the stone which could maybe use a slight contrast, nothing to dark or over powering though. Awesome room though, have fun and best of luck. Nice choice in furnishings as well.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The idea of big art is great and surprised more viewers didn't comment about adding art. The beautiful fireplace with large open space needs that splash of interest. You can keep the wall color and let the art create the additional drama. Enjoy the beautiful room.
  • 13 years ago
    This is a 2nd living area, just my lucky husbands space! There are only 2 ceiling fans which I would love to replace with cool chandeliers. My husband thinks the fans are functional :(
    Yes, light chairs will be gone as well as the ottomans. These are just pieces that I was playing with. I agree that the back walls could be a little darker to contrast with the stone. I think the large art is a must. Maybe I surprise him with massive blown up photos that he has taken in his travels!
  • 13 years ago
    Remote light blocking blinds will be needed for the two or three upper windows opposite the projector screen.
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe try painting just the fireplace wall a deep warm grey tone