Software
Houzz Logo Print
kristifire

Need help-->1950s bathroom :-)

13 years ago
I'll try and keep this short... I just got a new place, and am using my budget for the other renovations right now... While the bathroom isn't THAT bad, (its livable at the moment) I desperately need storage space for the bathroom....
The tiles have to stay, for now, and I've been considering spraying the tub white... Unfortunately, the medicine cabinet is about 30 by 21 height...which apparently is an odd combination...I can't find a cheap replacement for it. I can't get a bigger one at the moment because there is tiles above the cabinet as well. Worst case, I have to just put a mirror covering the entire hole, until I can afford the reno.

Anyone have any ideas what I could do please??? :-)
So far on my list is a sink+cabinet.... 24 inches, is as big as I can go... :-(
And the cabinet I love won't fit...

Comments (42)

  • 13 years ago
    I like your bathroom as is. How much do you need to store?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    everything seems to be in good condition, I wouldn't touch this bathroom until you are ready for a complete update.
  • 13 years ago
    hmmm to store:... bottles of shampoo+conditioner (BJs size), hair stuff--de-tanglers, serums, leave-ins, makeup, blow dryer, flat iron, body lotions, ideally a place to set my makeup on each morning so it doesn't fall in the toilet, :-p (hence the need for a vanity....lol)
  • 13 years ago
    hmmm I think the pictures do it more justice, lol... both the tub and sink obviously need to be cleaned, but they seem a little faded out.... I was debating leaving the tub the same color (somehow getting a company to brighten it?.... like a clear coat?) ..but the sink, I'm hardly thrilled with, its too old-fashioned for me...lol
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What's your style? It looks clean anyway and not in that bad shape so you could really have some fun with it.
    If you style is country you could put a skirt on the sink and use the space behind it for some storage.

    You could use a bold shower curtain, see below.

    Consider just repainting the medicine cabinet frame so you don't loose more storage space and you could put a cabinet over the sink, or shelving.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    One thing you might consider is to paint the wall colour to match the tile so it's more cohesive.
  • 13 years ago
    Kristi, your bathroom is soooo...cool. The sink and tub are awesome. The condition looks outstanding! I do NOT like a skirt on the sink. No way. That will totally ruin it. Also, I really do not like shelves straddling toilets since it looks totally hokey to me. Hopefully some designers will give you more ideas but the ones posted are not ideal, IMO.
  • 13 years ago
    hmmm Based on the pictures of the classifications I've seen on here, I'd say I'm more modern... (I don't quite like to decorate.... I'm leaving it mainly up to my mom, but we are clashing a bit on the ideas.... I want a cabinet and she thinks a pedestal sink will look better...
    I think the plan was to pain the walls white (saving on paint colors), but its interesting to think how it'd look as grey...
  • 13 years ago
    HI -- First thing I would do is paint over that pinky peach color with white , then that would make the white toilet belong a little more .Also put white plastic blinds on the window and a white polyester shower curtain. And white towels etc. I would check with IKEA to see what they have for storage items.. They have lots of storage ideas for small spaces and they measure in metric so you might find the sizes that work for you. Go there with the measurements of the areas you need to add storage to. You can still work with inches if need be, their tape measures have both forms of measure. I can't see in the photos you posted but could you add a cabinet over the toilet ?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Another back-of-the-door storage idea: a canvas shoe organizer. I used one for years to hold all the things you mention. You might add a simple glass shelf near the sink to hold makeup you are using. Maybe you could paint the inside of the medicine cabinet to make it a place you could feel good about storing things.

    I vote YES to white -- on the walls and in towels, NO to white paint on the tub!

    Your cranberry sink and tub are beautiful! As is the tilework in your bathroom. But if their strong personality and yours clash, I hope you will find a way to pass them along to someone who will love them -- many would.
  • 13 years ago
    was looking through the pictures I took before, but I don't have one for above the toilet... There is space on the wall though (its not tiled yay!)
  • 13 years ago
    Corner cabinet looks cool and not big $$$
  • 13 years ago
    A few more ideas
  • 13 years ago
    kristfire, when you finally do renovate, I think you have found potential buyers for the pieces coming out! A long basket with dividers over the toilet will hold amazing amounts (I relaced an entire etagere's worth for a client this way) to provide some help, as will storing BJ things in the tub area (decanted to smaller sizes, if necessary). Looks like you might also have room for an open shelf? I'd be looking for lady- poodle-s in- the- tub wallpaper right now, if it were me; adorable space -thanks for showing it to us!
  • 13 years ago
    Last idea, similar to first - hanging corner shelf behind toilet
  • 13 years ago
    I would go gray on the walls same color as the tile and a large basket under the sink for towels and a basket on the toilet tank for the small stuff and if you need more storage a shelve above the door works well. I would go with gray curtain and shower curtain or the floral fabric above would really make the room pop and I would keep my eye open for a cranberry toilet it's a shame they replaced it with a white one. It's a really cool bathroom
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think your bathroom has so much potential to have some fun with it before you can do the full Reno. One of the pieces I discovered in many baths in England was the swivelling, mirrored cabinet. Tall enough to store everything, narrow and shallow, fully mirrored, it's a great solution for a small space. It seems as though there is room to the left as you enter bathroom? Add a fun shower curtain, some artsy stuff and prepare for the compliments.
  • 13 years ago
    I've seen shelving units that specifically fit pedestal sinks and just wrap around beneath the bowl.

    I say if u can't afford proper reno, work w/ what you have. Paint walls off white or creamy, accent w/ stainless steel accessories and get funky frame for mirror to cover hole!

    New towels and rugs w/ bright accent color and done!
    Your bathroom Reno shouldn't cost more than 5k max-depending on finishes
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If it were my washroom I wouldn't put the skirt on the sink either, but that's why I asked what "her" style is. Some people like the look of a skirted sink, and it is an option for additional storage in a very tight space. When storage is at a premium all options should be put on the table and the person whose space it is can decide what options suit their individual taste. You could also consider a hotel style towel rack above the toilet, paired with a clear or white shower curtain. All of the ideas above are great suggestions so you can choose what fits in with your style. Would suggest you stick to white/soft gray/chrome or mirror finishes.
  • 13 years ago
    I have to say I love your bathroom. It is totally retro cool. I especially love the tub and would not even think of changing it. And since the sink ties in with the tub I'd keep that too, as it creates visual balance for that great plummy dark pink. Once you start changing things in bits and pieces you screw up the original design, which is a great one. If you really want to change it then rip it out entirely and start from scratch. But in the mean time have fun with it as it is and modify only impermanent details like shower curtain, wall color, etc. Personally I'd avoid the skirted sink.
  • 13 years ago
    I would not paint the tub white.

    I would not put a skirt around the sink.

    I like the idea of putting a hotel style towel fixture above the toilet! Use all white toweling for the best effect. Sometimes places like Big Lots and Tuesday Morning have high quality toweling. If you buy all white, it will not make too much difference if the edging is not identical from towel to towel.

    A white fabric "hotel" shower curtain liner makes a huge difference over a vinyl one. So much quieter! Can be machine washed on delicate in cold water! Can you tell I enjoy mine?

    There is a shampoo etc. holder that hooks on the shower curtain rings inside the bathtub area for your bath necessities. It is similar to a shoe holder. Try Bed, Bath, and Beyond...?

    A shoe holder on the back of the bathroom door can hold a hair dryer, curling iron, hairbrushes, and so on.

    I would paint the walls the same color as the 4x4 wall tiles.
  • 13 years ago
    Wow! Thank you all so much for your comments!!! I'm actually loving the corner idea for above the toilet -- i had to take another look to see how much space there was, and it would fit a nice-sized on there... (there is tiles that come out a little further than the cabinet that would hinder a cabinet directly above the toilet.
    The more I think about it, the more I'm kind of liking the shoe thing for the door---but i LOVED the revolving cabinet thing! (OMG!) -- just not the price of it ;-) lol

    We are still in debate of a pedestal sink or a cabinet sink (but I'm pushing for the cabinet!).... and the tub is staying maroon! :-)

    I'll try and post a before/after picture when I actually implement this all...if anyone is interested.... :)
  • 13 years ago
    I think you've been given great advice. IMO pedestal sinks--while attractive--are only appropriate for guest bathrooms that do not need a lot of storage. In small spaces you simply can't lose the only place to store toilet paper!
  • 13 years ago
    @ CarolynC Could you give me a link for that towel rack? It looks like it could be the solution for my search for a pan rack with shelf above, for my kitchen! It's the hooks that gave me the cross-over insight.
  • 13 years ago
    kristifire, You are lucky! You have one hell of a bathroom! It is in incredibly good shape and so unique!
    I would not put legs to the sink, I would not spray the tub, I would fin a mirror cabinet - and if not, will store everything outside, but keep the bathroom as is except painting it white - or the colour of the tiles if it is not white, it is hard to tell.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You do need a place to store extra toilet paper IN the bathroom. There are many such gadgets on the market. I could see a chrome post designed for the purpose sitting within reach of the toilet. .Here's the general idea. There are cheaper versions.

    http://www.onewayfurniture.com/gatco-chrome-tissue-roll-holder-1325.html
  • 13 years ago
    Your bathroom is the exact configuration as mine except that my door opens in front of the toilet. I found a wide, tall cabinet that was only 15 inches deep and put it on the wall opposite my toilet and pedestal sink. It has sliding doors (another space saver) and holds everything: towels, soaps, lotions, tissues, even cleaning supplies.

    Here are some shallow linen cabinets from Wayfair: http://www.wayfair.com/filters/Linen-Towers-and-Cabinets-l3765-c215042-O47997~Cabinets-O47998~Free+Standing-P73868~7~15.html

    But don't limit yourself to bathroom furniture. Here is a bedroom armoire that is only 17" deep. This could hold more than you'd ever think to keep in the bathroom.
    http://www.wayfair.com/Howard-Miller%AE-Ty-Pennington-Holly-Personal-Armoire-930-001PS001F-HW2105.html
  • 13 years ago
    Here is a sideboard that is only 16" deep. Something like this would even give you counter space.
  • 13 years ago
    Here's one that looks like it belongs in a bathroom. Dimensions: 37" H x 41" W x 11.5" D
    http://www.wayfair.com/Papila-Design-Sideboard-FCO-121-BL-PDS1021.html
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I just googled - images "hotel style towel racks" and chose one of the ones displayed. They usually provide you with the source or redirect you to the site. Good luck
  • 13 years ago
    ARe you Kidding me???? This is a bathroom in pretty mint condition, and most 50' 60's style lovers would go crazy for this bathroom!!!! The colours are so typical of the era! I agree with Pyramid Design Group, Just add Chrom legs /shelving underneath to update a little and give some place for towels, toilet paper.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Restoration Hardware has really nice Train racks, as well as glass shelves and hooks for the door. I like the Grafton for your room. I would not choose one with hooks on the rack if hanging over the toilet though. :0 I also like adding a mirror to the side if need magnifying.
  • 13 years ago
    TRAIN RACKS!! Perfect for my kitchen pot rack! Thank you, Suann!!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Glad to help!
  • 13 years ago
    This is the coolest bathroom I have seen in a long time - I am so jealous!
    I wouldn't change the sink as the maroon tub would have nothing to balance it out. I would check out ebay for some great vintage accessories to compliment the theme. A great little mid century magazine rack or paperback stand would make a great towel holder.
  • 13 years ago
    The bath tub and sink colors were popular starting in the 1930's to the 1950's so retro renovators are looking for these fixtures. I grew up with the same style sink but in green. This sink is well designed, since the fixtures are located in the bowl it keeps the water in the sink better and provides a ledge for products in the area where most faucets are located. Its rounded edges means your not likely to bang your hips. It is a perfect sink for a small space.

    Here are some easy and inexpensive storage solutions. A shoe caddy behind the door of the bathroom. A plastic liner with a shoe caddy mounted on the outside of the liner closest to the sink and then a pretty fabric shower curtain on top to cover the ugly plastic liner and the shoe caddy. This way you can easily access the products you need near the sink but you can hide them away when you don't need them. You can put empty soup cans in the caddy pockets where you store your hair dryer and irons so you can put them away hot.

    Another option for storage is to have a portable rolling drawers with all your products you can keep on the opposite wall from sink if there is room. You could use a plastic rolling drawers, a two door filing cabinet with rolling wheels or an old metal typing table to place your things on.

    Take a look at the website Retro Renovation by Pam Krueber to see if you gain a new appreciation of your vintage bathroom. If you don't be aware that the paint that is used for tubs and sinks to make them white does not last and you are better taking things out and replacing them with white fixtures. Just donate to Habitat for Humanity or sell them on Craig's list just don't throw them in the dump.
  • 8 years ago

    Where can I find flooring and sink like this...we have similar bathroom but some parts were upgraded. We want to re do to the original.

  • 8 years ago

    caro, Retro Renovations, listed above, may help put you in touch with a solution. Other places to look are Craig's List, your local re -use store, and HOUZZ members whose dilemma posts show a desire to update from this look. Best of luck.

  • 8 years ago
    The bathroom looks like it is in good condition. If there is any available wall space where you can put a cabinet for storage, I would go to IKEA and find one in their standard white color. Every bathroom needs storage for at least the bottles and containers and tools, even if there isn't space to store extra towels and toilet paper. While a pedestal sink may seem to work if you replace the current sink, it does not solve the storage problem.
  • 8 years ago

    Nice bold shower curtain, maybe a geometric since your style is modern. Or a black/white silhouette of a tree or buildings. You can put chrome legs on the sink that have modern straight lines. Paint the wall above the tile a medium gray. Put floating glass shelves above toilet. You can find a holder that sits on the edge of the tub in the corner and goes all the way to the ceiling to hold the toiletries you use in the shower, or a liner than has pocket on it. For your makeup, hair stuff, etc., make a dressing table in your bedroom. It's better for your makeup to get it out of the humidity anyway.

    Presidio Heights traditional · More Info

    London Town House · More Info

    Contemporary Bedroom · More Info

  • 8 years ago

    dressing tables don't have to be elaborate, either. for more storage, use storage cubes or baskets beside the table.

    Edwardian House Fulham · More Info

    my dressing table in my home · More Info
    can be an antique dressed up
    Queens · More Info
    Or a small desk with a mirror finish

    Mid Century Apartment in the City of London · More Info
    OR can even be a small desk