Software
Houzz Logo Print
john_plant

range top wrap around stone countertops

10 years ago
does anyone have photos of this type of detail. I have, in the past, come across a few but now that I'm searching I can not find any.
that is why I made my own drawing of what I'm looking to see photos of.
in the drawing I show the granite or stone material having a waterfall edge at the intersection of the range top and then continuing under the top to the other side where it again meets the waterfall detail on the opposite side up into the flat surface of the countertop.

Comments (12)

  • 10 years ago

    I am not really sure of what you mean, maybe sunken cooktop might get a few results.

  • 10 years ago
    well since I have seen pictures in the past and can't find any now, no I don't think there is anything "hinkey" about it or that it is a bad idea, just my taste preference. the loss of storage space suggestion is only the legligable thickness of the slab!
  • 10 years ago
    negligible thickness that is! ;)
  • 10 years ago
    Can across this picture.
  • 10 years ago

    Well, if it was done with E-stone, the resultant scorch probably rendered it less than photogenic. Not to mention the logistics will be $$$$.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    This makes no sense to me waterfall counters are meant for ends of runs not in the center which is how I nderstand this it seems like a lot of work for really no purpose,

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I know what you mean, I did not see it at first from the drawing. I have seen it done with gas cooktops with an apron front and the cooktop is resting on the countertop and the countertop is also on both ends of the cooktop running vertically. I tried to find photos, but to no avail.

  • 10 years ago
    Patricia Colwell I am not asking for your design opinion nor critique AT ALL!!!!! I'm asking for help in finding photos of this detail! thanks but no thanks!!!! if you have a constructive suggestion as to why this would not work as per an engineering or construction standpoint I'm more than happy to hear it, but as I know it does work and have seen examples in the past your critique of my taste is unwarranted and rude!!!!!!!
  • 10 years ago
    Sophie Wheeler your critique is at least more geared towards the engineering side, but you are not a specialist in that area so I respectfully disagree, thank you to the others as your help is appreciated! the idea is foe example a bluestar range top that the top will sit flush with the top of the counter surface while the stone wraps around and underneath it. I do not want the range top recessed below the counter top surface in a well, I want the well to support the rangetop.
    from a specifically engineering standpoint the slab does not necessarily have to be a full slab underneath the rangetop as it will never be seen except in the construction or replacement stages! it is a design detail that I that's "I" particularly like!!! to criticize my asthetic is not what I'm asking for, in fact it's just plain rude and not very nice!!!!!!!
  • 10 years ago

    I can't recall seeing anything like your drawing...BUT...your rendering is clear as to what you want. I don't see any problem with fabrication of same. You may need to have the base cabinet made to achieve the exact width and height needed. Go for it!

  • 10 years ago
    thanks chiflipper! :) as a fan of E. Fay Jones, I would have to have the cabinets custom made, as I am in love with his contractor built cabinet designs! they are very contemporary yet utilitarian and in my opinion great looking.