Software
Houzz Logo Print
kkk_hhh

Need opinion on my living, kitchen and dining rooms

10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago


Hi, everyone!

Can you advise on what my designer created for my kitchen, dining and living room? I need your opinion and thoughts. Do you think it is beautiful and worth doing it at home or I could ask him to rework/improve it somehow?

Here is a google drive link to my project.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8bZK53EAn-Dd1VxN0VubXczeUk

Thanks,

Koko

Comments (35)

  • 10 years ago
    I like it! I use to have a modern house and I just love no clutter and clean. Now I live In a brick colonial surrounded by children's toys. Enjoy!
  • 10 years ago

    My friends think it is a too grey. Windows side is south-west, so in the
    afternoons it will be sunny and shiny. Do you think I should ask for
    lighter colours?

  • 10 years ago

    Color and style is quite individual. Do you like the design? Are there components you don't like? It appears if you are doubtful based on friend's opinions, you may have your own doubts. Continue the quest for what feels best for you w/requesting a redesign; research images of rooms you like to give your designer guidance. My personal preference would be for more warmth and color.

  • 10 years ago

    If so, could you please suggest warmth colours?

  • 10 years ago
    I say that if you like it that is all that is important. You paid for the service not your friends did not and you are the one who lives there. If you are comfortable, wonderful
  • 10 years ago
    Oops ignore the "did not" after friends
  • 10 years ago

    I think the thing here is what you like and what your tastes are. If you're a minimalist with a taste for neutral palates, then this is something you could be very happy with. If you're someone who likes lots of colour and texture around, maybe not so much - so what kind of things do you like? I've always thought the job of designers is to find out what your taste is, and refine it, not impose their own. So is this your taste, or the designers?

  • 10 years ago

    I think it is a beautiful space. Remember that when you live there, you will bring some of your own things so it will not look so stark. Will you be adding more art? Talk with your designer and tell him what is worrying you.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Thank you guys for all the replies.

    The plan is my wife, I and our two kids - four and two years old to move there before Xmas. I am not a man of art, and it is hard for me to explain what I like or don't like. I know that my wife and I like the "urban" style - I think they call it modern. We both work a lot, and we would like to have a comfy place where to relax after hard working days. We are not outgoing guys, so we spend lots of time at home.

    I am worried that if the colours are darker in real (this is just a rendered project), the place could not be so energised. I am not sure if this makes sense...

    I want to have as much open space as possible to let my kids play around freely. I am sure there will be lots of toys around the rooms :)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Pretty and minimalist. It would be hard to give you advise without knowing you and your life style.

  • 10 years ago

    I don't think it looks too dark, a little cold perhaps..but am sure once it's all together it will look great... I think the final product is always a little different than the overall design plan. I would be tempted to add a little wood/natural looking stuff - art, coffee table possibly, maybe a rug that isn't gray. Overall it looks very modern and comfortable.

  • 10 years ago

    Do you like the ceiling? Isn't it a bit futuristic?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Before I give my opinion, I'd like to say that MY style is very Midwestern country/rustic. It's where I feel comfortable. But that design is absolutely fabulous! I love it. It's very "comfortable" yet sleek, modern and minimalist.

  • 10 years ago

    What you like most?

    What you wouldn't change?

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I wouldn't want to sit on that sofa. Looks nice but in reality your feet will either touch the floor because you're sitting so far forward or your feet will be off the ground and sticking straight out because you back is against the pillows.

    You'll be sitting bolt upright or slouched in a U shape. Looks great if you want to always lay down.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    The only thing I would change is I would do an ottoman type coffee table with storage for blankets and the little occasional table I'd want it to hold storage as well. Plus I would nix the "grass wall" in the dining :) Everything else I love! The layout is awesome, the light fixture is awesome. Maybe I would change the couch, but I don't think so.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
  • 10 years ago

    This is not my style but I do like it a lot. It is beautiful, clean and relaxing. I'm not too crazy about the light boxes coming out of the ceiling, they do seem a bit too futuristic to me . And the floating cabinets on the tv wall, although very sleek and cool looking, I would have them all the way to the floor just for practical reasons- I can imagine all the dust and dog hairs collecting under those cabinets. Enjoy your new house...it's very unique.

  • 10 years ago

    Do you believe it is good for kids as well because we have two children (under five years)?

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Really like the design

  • 10 years ago
    I would worry about the sharp corners on the coffee table with small children.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I'm sure the kids are going to love all that open space for them to play in. I do second the opinion above about the coffee table's sharp corners. And the kitchen in the background, the corners on the floating shelves look very square and sharp. Perhaps some corner guards or modification in the design can help make it safer for little ones.

  • 10 years ago
    Perfect
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hello KKK HHH,


    From an art on walls point of view, may I suggest having a look at my BESPOKE DESIGNS section. I specialise in designing and creating artwork to specifically compliment a rooms decor and furnishings, and here you will find inspirational ideas of other rooms:


    http://www.houzz.com/projects/1720017/bespoke-designs


    Alternatively, there are many artwork pieces that are ready and available to buy from our website also:


    http://thejonescollection.gallery


    If I can be of further assistance, feel free to contact me via my Houzz profile or through my website.


    All the best with whatever you decide to choose.

  • 10 years ago

    Does it matter what we think ..If you like it go for it !

  • 10 years ago

    I love it! Just needs some art on the walls (bring in some color) and then it will be just the place I'd like to hang out with my family!

  • 10 years ago
    Sorry to say that for me it's not welcoming, warm, or kid friendly. I like a bit of modern, but for me this is too much. It looks like a staged home and very dark. Maybe some art will help.
  • 10 years ago

    The design is beautifully executed. I agree with those who said you should discuss your concerns with your designer. A few tweaks may be all it takes to make you love it. For example, with small children, removing sharp corners is an easy fix.

  • 10 years ago

    Personally I would opt for a lighter colour on the walls and more /larger art and more colour or texture in the rug. Plants will also bring it to life as it can look a bit sterile But it looks really lovely as is.

  • 10 years ago
    I think it's fine for kids. But I love my wipeable leather furniture and new side ottoman instead of wrapped up baby-safe coffee table. I think modern homes look a worse off with kids toys than traditional. I have wicker baskets to throw toys in. Those would be out of place in this design . Just food for thought
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I think art work will greatly warm this setting and I actually love the grays. Not a huge fan of the dining room fixture though. I would have juxtaposed something beautifully elegant there. Maybe it is the mustard accents that are troubling you. Imagine the room with softer accents such as aqua or white. It could be softened by choosing different accent colors. Check here for artwork that might help you make it yours: http://www.houzz.com/projects/1295077/art-original-abstract-paintings

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    KKK HHH I love your sofa choice!


  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I like it with a but...I could not have a kitchen without windows. I have done grey grey and greyer for clients but I think it gets very boring. I would probably do orange or red instead the yellow. I love the colorful art the Pamela Qarbaghi recommended!

  • 9 years ago
    It's so sexy!