Software
Houzz Logo Print
ydurant

Mixing shaker and veneer cabinets in house?

10 years ago

My kitchen cabinets are already ordered. They are alder with a mix of brown with a black wash on the perimeter and solid black on the island. SHAKER STYLE. All of the interior doors are shaker as well - clear alder with a darker brown stain. Rustic style wood flooring and a stone fireplace mantel.

here is my dilemma: I really like walnut for the bathrooms, but I am very afraid the solid walnut with shaker doors will have too much tonal differences making it look too rustic. The house is more transitional but has some contemporary feel. Just not super modern. However, I am afraid the walnut veneer (which has the same tones throughout but will be flat panel only) will look too modern and seem out of place with the shaker kitchen cabinets.

This is a fairly big house - 3700 square feet - and I have cabinets in 4 bathrooms, a powder room, laundry and mud room. If I do flat panel in all of those, will my kitchen look "off" because it's shaker? Also very concerned to do veneer in the mud room as it will get very beaten up in there. I could do shaker in there as it is near the kitchen, but the laundry is right across the hall.

I had planned to do shaker throughout, but now.... Help!

And thanks in advance for your comments!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH