Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_soliman

Dining room help

Stacey
7 years ago
This used to be a sunroom but it is the only place to have the dining set. What should we do to make the decor/design better? Put an area rug?

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Absolute Kitchen & Granite
    7 years ago

If you can take the children's toys into maybe the living room that would make the space more utilized. An area rug will add the "homey" feeling. Also I suggest some wall decoration: paintings, light fixtures, plants, etc. Anything for decoration. Also I am unsure of how larger the room is but if you can seem to center the table under the lighting fixture it would make all the difference.

• Stacey
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The picture on too is the old owner's decoration. Sorry i forgot to include that in the description. But as to moving the dining table in the middle of the light fixture is almost impossible because it is off center and is almost aligned to a door on the right. I wish i have a floor plan but i dont.
  • Stacey
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Also because of window placements im not sure where or how to hang paintings or any wall decor. Im not very creative :)
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Like my previous suggestion then... maybe some pretty wall sconces. They will give more light to the table area. I could imagine at night it's not very illuminated.

• Stacey
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thats pretty! Thanks!!
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Maybe something nice above where that outlet is on the right hand side of this picture? Any kind of artwork you like.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Sorry to keep adding but also in the middle of the two windows on the left hand side of the picture, you can add lighting and/or wall art.

• Stacey
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Any input is much appreciated!
  • Stacey
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    What is a good area rug for this tile? I dont liek it but its not in our budget to redo the floors
  • PRO
    7 years ago

I'll look for a type of rug for you... also what about adding some inexpensive curtain treatments...... by the way (I'm finding all of these on houzz) https://www.houzz.com/products/abri-rod-pocket-sheer-curtain-panel-white-50x84-prvw-vr~43752177

• PRO
  • Stacey
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I was thinking of window shades instead of curtains? Or maybe thats a bad idea? Here are more pictures of this area
  • Seajay Sparkles
    7 years ago
    Can you at least provide room dimensions. Moving the light fixture to be centered over table would be first and either remove fan and replace with chandelier. If you want the fan over your table then a prettier fan light fixture that can be operated independent of the fan itself. Definitely an area rug large enough to comfortably slide chairs from table, about two feet from table on all four sides. Some white drapes framing windows and some artwork hung at eye level for color. It's a start. Oh, and some flowers on the table couldn't hurt. ;-). Just get started with one thing at a time and work you way through.
  • Stacey
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The dining set will be gone because I will be buying a new one. The room is 11x23.
  • Seajay Sparkles
    7 years ago
    Absolute was posting picture of my ideas as I was typing. Great minds LOL. I would recommend one of the more colorful rugs they suggested. And matchstick shades will be more casual. They do look great with drapes. Bring in more color from your rug for pictures and accessories like placemats, table runner, etc.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Changing the fan, and dinning set would be majorly beneficial.

• Maureen
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Not sure if you have a dining set or not? If starting from scratch, the idea in first picture would be really nice at the far end and add sconces on either side of window and rattan roman blinds. Then at this end, you may have room for a little sitting/reading area. I would paint the cabinets white and accessorize the counter - see below. I would change the fan to a pendant and add a floor lamp near the chair. Suggest a sisal in each section and paint the walls white for a fresh, modern look. If you already have furniture, work with an on line room planner to see how everything will be placed...but either way before you buy any rug - furniture size and placement will be important considerations.

Iron Cage Pendant Light, Matte Black · More Info

Metal Industrial Wall Sconce, Black · More Info

• Seajay Sparkles
    7 years ago
    Because you are buying new table, that should be first so your rug dimensions will be dictated by table size. The big items first and take cues from colors in rug. You have a blank slate and a nice blue wall color to work from.
  • PRO
    Premiere Pros
    7 years ago

Not sure what your budge it (if any), but a half wall between kitchen and dining with a column would look nice

• PRO
    Lumar Interiors
    7 years ago

Below are two very different ideas from our design portfolio of what you could do with the space. One has curtains and a long table, the other a round table and roman shades.

Chaplin Crescent Estates · More Info

Kitchen Renovation · More Info