Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
balaine_ced

Let's compare our Hahnii collections

Savant Fou (France - zone 7)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello,

Hahniis are my favourite Sans. species, and I wanted to share with you some pictures of the specimens I own ... and to see the same from you !

So here are the (few) rules :

- Hahniis only,

- one picture only per cultivar for each of us,

- enjoy !

1. Hahnii Crosby's marginated :

2. Golden Hahnii :

3. Hahnii Jade :

4. Hahnii Jade Marginated :

5. Hahnii Siebert :

6. Hahnii Silver Frost :

7. Hahnii Silver :

That's all !

And now it's your turn to show off.

Savantfou.

Comments (52)

• Savant Fou (France - zone 7)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you Stush, your Hahniis are so beautiful ! I was eager to see updated pics of your plants. I see that you have a new Golden Hahnii that looks like mine, with really thin green edges. Each of your H. Streaker looks so beautiful, I hope I'll be able to find this cultivar in Europe.

Savantfou.

• Liberyx (Poland 7a)
    7 years ago

Stush, and now you have the Hahnii 'Silver marginata'(or 'marginated'). I think that is brand new in your collection... Very nice!

• woodnative
    7 years ago

Two Hahnis on my office windowsill while we finally get some badly needed rain outside.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    7 years ago

Yes, I just got that 'Silver Marginata' by a friend here.

Chris, That 'Streaker' is to die for. That Jade Marginata has so much yellow, it may turn into a Hahnii Flame!

• Liberyx (Poland 7a)
    7 years ago

Honey, honey ooh ooh, Hahnii, Hahnii...

I love Hahniis (yes, they don't need to much space, but not only this...)

Here is my family picture (up left to down right):

S.t.Hahnii 'Silver marginata' x2, regular or Green, 'Pearl Young', 'Black Hahnii', 'Golden Hahnii', 'Crested', 'Jade Marginata'.

Today at sunrise...

Original Author
    7 years ago

Wonderful !

They all look really healthy and shiny, Silver Marginata and Crested are on my wish list !

Savantfou.

• Liberyx (Poland 7a)
    7 years ago

Thank you Savantfou! And you have Crosby's and Siebert from my wish list. Maybe we should think about trade, if we have more pups...

Original Author
    7 years ago

Liberyx I didn't see you were from Poland !

I don't think it would be wise to send plants before next spring or summer (here in France night temps are below 10°C already). Next year I can send you a Crosby's (I have plenty already and the "mother" is pupping). I have only one young Siebert, but it is growing fast and I hope it will pup soon !

Well I'll keep a tab on this thread, and we could trade pups next year, I'll be happy to send you some healthy pups then !

Savantfou.

• Liberyx (Poland 7a)
    7 years ago

Savantfou, that is exactly what I mean to. For several years I live in Stuttgart, S.-W. Germany.

• sam268
    6 years ago

anyone know what is the one on the right is called?

• woodnative
    6 years ago
    Looks like 'Silver hahni marginated.
  • mlaforet05
    6 years ago

I'm a bit late responding to this original message from Savant Fou, but I felt compelled to post these few from my old collection. Some of the Hahnii's are just gorgeous. Agree?

Our Sans guru, Juan Chahinian, tells us that for every color scheme, or pattern, shown us by the full-sized trifascitas, there is an equal color pattern (each with their own variety name) for the Futura and Hahnii classes.... at least in theory.

One comment... I left the tag in the picture of Hahnii 'crested' that I received from Tata Montilla. He is an excellent grower should you ever be tempted to purchase any of his plants. While this Hahnii is very heavily keeled - meaning the leaves are consistently "folded" lengthwise, like a canoe. But it is not crested. It is a lovely plant

• sam268
    6 years ago

Thanks Woodnative

So how do you tell the difference between a silver hahnni vs a silver hanhni marginated.

Is it the it is the yellow banding along the edge of each leaf?

• woodnative
    6 years ago

Yes....the "marginated" part of it is just the variegation on the leaf edge. If you make a leaf cutting of your plant it will grow 'silver hahni' pups. Mike L. I got a small 'Jade Dwarf Marginated' with an added central stripe from overseas this Spring. Unfortunately after shipping and a very cold and wet Spring it did not make it. Lots of neat hahni possibilities!

6 years ago

Mike, Looking at your collection makes me what to give up on mine. Just beautiful. What is the difference between hahnii Malachite and plain hahnii?

• mlaforet05
    6 years ago

Thank you, Stush, for your always nice comments! Rather than struggling to write my own description of S.t h. 'Malachite' I thought I would just photo copy Juan Chahinian's description in his book (out of print) on trifasiatas. See attached. If the print is too small, lemme know and I send you a private message.

As for my sansevieria pictures, I can say that I use a DSLR camera, always take several pictures, and only choose the best to show. Sometimes I wipe the leaves with a damp cloth to clean 'em up. Anything dead is removed. They are all taken outside in good light, and most have been enhanced by Apple's iPhoto program. I enjoy making the pictures as much as I do growing the plants.

• woodnative
    6 years ago
    My hahnis are thriving in this thankfully wet summer after years of bad drought. Two wet hahnis this morning and a friendly slug.
    6 years ago

Thanks Mike. I have his book and was too lazy to look it up. Picture looks so much like my stacking hahnii but it is quite old and can't be it.

Chris, I can only hope mine grows as nice as yours.

• vitorama
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Beautiful collection, Mike!

Stush, your "too many rules" comment cracked me up.

Chris, ditto what Stush said.

Ok, here's my collection. Certainly not as lovely as everyone who posted, but I really did only figure out how to grow Hahnii this year.

Loop's Pride, terrible picture.

Obvious.

Phillipines.

Jade Marginated

I call this Almost Seibert.

Actual Seibert.

Pearl Young.

Glasshouseworks calls this 'Longitudinal Hahnii'. Says it grows longer than regular hahnii?

Streaker

• vitorama
    6 years ago

A couple more:

Jade stacking clone.

Hahnii Marginated. I also have Gilt Edge but forgot to take a picture. I'm sure you get the idea though.

• Oyster
    6 years ago

I'm just baffled! I never knew there are thát many Hahnii varieties! I love all those beautiful appearances. I really should keep my eyes open next time I'm going out shopping. Thank you all for these wonderful pictures!

• EB88
    6 years ago

Had no idea either there were that many varietes of Hahnii, wonderful to see! This is my small collection of Hahnii's:

• Mary978
    6 years ago

Oh my God! I am in love with everyone's Hahnii pics... gotta go take pics of mine, although mine aren't as big or rare as everyone else's...

• Mary978
    6 years ago

I know you said only one pic per cultivar... but I don't have much to show, so I'll break the rules and show them all, 2 are recovering, so they are looking a little sad...

If anyone is selling or giving away any of their Hahnii, please Keep me in mind... those Seiberts, Streakers, Silver Frosts, Cresteds, and the Malachite are to die for!

• vitorama
    6 years ago

Beautiful Mary! I love your Silver Marginated!

• woodnative
    6 years ago

Vitorama- I somehow missed your post there!!! Where did you get those???! I never heard of some, and others I never saw here. In particular, 'Almost Siebert'......which looks like the siebert type variegation on a hahni jade, and 'Phillipines', which I have actually seen but not in the states(?). Wonderful group of cultivars there!!!

6 years ago

Vitorama, After Chris, save a pup of Phillipines for me. After a few more years. I'm patient.

Always good to see something you don't have and want. Makes life more exciting.

Same for Mike for a Crested Hahnii.

Right now I'll be happy to keep the ones I got from dying. Just started to show some promise and I just brought them all in for the winter. We were getting lows in the high 40's and just can't take a chance. This week looks great but what's done is done.

• woodnative
    6 years ago

Stush this summer has certainly been cool and wet but I have loved it and I will take it over the numerous hot and too dry summers we have had in the recent past. My Sans are still outside but I have started to move them against my house where it is a little more protected.

• Mary978
    6 years ago

Thanks Vitorama... LOVE your Seibert and Streaker... they are definitely on my wish list...

• woodnative
    6 years ago

mary contact me by email I may have extras of those.

• Mary978
    6 years ago

Hi Woodnative... that would be awesome! How do I email you without going through eBay... ? (That's the only email I have for you)

thanks so much!

• woodnative
    6 years ago

You got it!

• vitorama
    6 years ago

Woodnative, is it possible I have something you are excited about? Lol! Ok, the 'Almost Seibert' was begotten at Cactus King nursery. It was the worst selection of plants I've ever received. They came loosely in a box with plants and tags jumbled all over the place. It's either a Seibert or an unusual name I have to look at again to tell you. I'll be sure to save you a pup. One year later it has not produced even one.

The Phillipines I bought this year from an Indonesian grower who contacted me to sell me plants and he turned out to be a nice guy. It made the long trip in perfect condition. I will put you and Stush on the list when it pups. Hopefully next year.

• woodnative
    6 years ago

Lori is that the guy on facebook with all of the neat stuff? Do you have other Sans from him?? Ironically I just got a 'Phillipines' (from a gentleman oversees who was looking for same jade I sent you). It is a small plant.....a little dehydrated.........lets see if I can get it to establish before the long dark days of winter come here. At least we both have it to spread around, one being a backup if the other's plant fails to thrive. 'Silver Frost' seems to throw off all kinds of types and I could see something like this originating from 'Silver Frost' though who knows. That 'Almost Siebert' looks like it is on a dark, jade dwarf background rather than the typical banded trifasciata/hahni. I like that better than regular Siebert. There is also the slight chance it will eventually pup a sport with a wider central band....more like 'Streaker' but with that dark jade background. In my mind that would be cool!

6 years ago

I glad someone got good service from the gentleman from Indonesia. Way back about 10 years ago, I lost over $135 of a plant order from him due to no phy. cert. in box and lost at customs. Paying $50 for shipping, I thought it was covered. Plants were cheap and rare at the time. He had the most beautiful Brazilian Moonshine.

• vitorama
    6 years ago

Woodnative, the guy I bought from doesn't post at all! I think I know which guy you thought it was. I inquired about his plants once and he wants $85-$100 for his variegates. That's crazy. I was very fortunate and bought some beautiful plants from this other guy who contacted me out of the blue. My fave I bought was a very highly variegated hallii. I also bought a variegated katana, a small one called black mikayla, variegated, and those two Philippines. Oh, I really nicely variegated masoniana too. I have one already but I have a secret obsession for them. The sad news is, I have contacted this guy again and he doesn't respond, so I just have to be grateful for what I have, which I am.

I'm sorry you had such bad luck, Stush. My very first overseas order was a disaster as well, lost as much as you did, but it was my fault, not the growers so I had to eat it.

6 years ago

Lori, it was a 50/50 chance. I lost. At least he got paid for his part. Paypal was going to reimburse me if I filed a police report. Didn't want to go that far.

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    6 years ago

I'm not really sure what kind of Sans this is, but it looks like the ones posted here..

6 years ago

Debra, Looks to be a Sans. trifasciata hahnii 'Jade'. I have 'Jade Marginated'.

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    6 years ago

Thank you so much Stush! I knew you would know!

• sam268
    6 years ago

Silver marginated

Loosing all the yellow edges on the leaves but it gets full sun.

• vitorama
    6 years ago

Beautiful Sam!

• woodnative
    6 years ago
    Some hahni fun!
    6 years ago

Holy crap on a stick!! What did you just show us Chris?

Are those from your selective breeding?

Sam, Love that hahnii. I lost mine. On my wish list again.

• vitorama
    6 years ago

You talk about mine, Chris! Oh please! Lol. So what is the Jade Marginated Siebert called? That’s really cool!

• woodnative
    6 years ago

LOL Yes that bottom right is a new one I got recently, as well as the bottom left. The bottom left is supposed to be a greener form of 'Golden hahni'. My 'Silver Frosts' have produced almost this but maybe unique. The bottom right I love and hope it survives the winter and pups next year. The top one is just one of my 'Streakers' behaving weirdly. Excuse the tree debris in the center I forgot to remove LOL.

• Mary978
    6 years ago

Beautiful Hahnii Chris! Loving that bottom right...!

• vitorama
    6 years ago

The bottom left looks like my ‘Phillipines’, does it have a name?

• woodnative
    6 years ago

Vitorama I was going with "Robert" LOL but yes I believe that is 'Phillipines". Thank you Mary!!