0

Roses after the hail

rosecanadian
September 13, 2016

This is Parfum de Grasse - The bloom is not standing up by itself because of the hail.

Here's Yves Piaget - it's kind of a messy rose here.

Lady Like

My rose - not quite as pink (looks pinker in real life) - but it still has a green "bum." LOL It's about 2"

The inside is very creamy pink and the back petals are white. And there's a medium fragrance which may improve. I think this rose is a keeper.

Carol

• strawchicago

Carol: The rose you bred is beautiful !! it will get larger as it matures. Yves is pretty like a peony, and I like the deep orange of Parfume de Grasse .. it's rare to have deep orange & many petals. I like your Lady like too. It's really hot here in over 80 degree, Dee-lish perfumes my patio .. it's the most impressive scent ever.

• rosecanadian

I may have to get Dee-lish - I love, love, love a good fragrance. Do you have a recent pic you could post here??

I was thinking of the name Holly Bells for my rose, because my daughter's name is Holly and my rose is Christmasy like Christmas snow. And Silver Bells is a Christmas song. What do you think? Does anyone have a better name?

Yves does look like a peony. And PdG is a lovely, lovely rose. So far it only gets one rose at a time...but it's a first year bare root here. I really hope it improves next year, because it's a stunning rose!!

Thanks, Straw!! :)

Carol

• strawchicago

Carol: I'm going outside to take pics. of Dee-lish' 3rd-flush soon.

Holly Bells is a fantastic name for a rose !!

• rosecanadian

My younger daughter suggested Holly Bell instead or Holly Belle. Which name do you like better of the three.

I like the idea in any of those forms!! I surprised myself!!

Oh, and I measured the flower, and it's 2 1/2 "

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing your pics!!

Carol

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Oh wow Carol.... you successfully bred a new rose. Fantastic effort. How much time it took? What procedure you adopted? Any details if you don't mind.

• strawchicago

I agree with your daughter: Holly Bell is simple & easy to remember. Your own-bred flower at 2 1/2" will be double the size in a few years, it has a nice pink touch, very pretty. Some pics from my garden. Dee-lish blooms at the bottom and at the top. Below is a bloom of Dee-lish at the bottom of the bush, pic. taken Sept 13, 2016:

Below is Dee-lish blooming at the top on Sept. 13 at temp of 83 F. It has 13 buds for its 3rd-flush .. perfumes my patio. Best scent of any rose I grow!

Below is a close-up of Strike-it-rich, got from RU summer sale end of June. Pic. taken Sept. 13, fruity scent if the soil is alkaline. Eight buds for 3rd flush:

Below is pink Lynnie, in less than 3 hours of sun. Healthy foliage like Knock-out. Pic. taken Sept 13:

Below is Strike in rich with many buds, it acts like a Floribunda with large blooms. Pic. taken Sept. 13:

Below is Old Port, lots of buds, but with blackspots since I put the over-flow of my rain-barrel on it, dumping tons of rain. Pic. taken Sept 13, after week-long-rain. Excellent drainage, but it can't handle 32 gallons of rain every hour.

Above is close-up of Old Port bloom. Note the holes in the leaves from too much rain, which leaches out calcium. Below is Christopher Marlow, Sept 13. after week-long rain. I'm digging that up to fix the drainage. It's pale from wet clay and lack of oxygen.

Above is Crown Princess Magareta, in less than 4 hours of sun, so it crawls out to get more sum, and blooms in cluster. Same with Radio Times below, crawling out to get more sun. All pics. taken Sept. 13:

• strawchicago

Above is Comte as own-root on Sept. 13: a continuous bloomer with red-lava-rocks on top. The other comte on multiflora is stingy, won't bloom unless I give it SOLUBLE fertilizer.

• rosecanadian

Khalid - well, technically the bees did the hybridizing. :) I merely took the ripened hips and grew them from seed. So once the hip has turned color (ripened), take the hips and cut them open. Take the seeds and put them in a ziploc bag with wet (but not very wet) soil (potting soil is probably the best, since a sterile environment works best.) Then you put the bags in the fridge (or in the garage if you have winter) for a few months. Then take them out and leave them in the house and see if roots begin to grow (germination). Once the roots begin to grow - take the germinated and ungerminated seeds and plant them in a sterile mixture under grow lights. They have to be misted quite a few times a day. Some people sterilize the seeds by using hydrogen peroxide. If you go to Propagation in Gardenweb you'll find more detailed information. :)

Yes, it's quite cool to have helped make a brand new rose!!! I haven't been successful yet in doing a deliberate hybridization. It's difficult with so much rain and such a short summer.

Straw - I would love it if the flowers got even bigger!! How cool!!! Yay!!! I really like your Pink Linnie!! Deel-ish is a rose I passed on a few years ago...now I wish I hadn't. Yours has wonderful flowers!!! And I really, really want that scent in my yard!! Dang, I wish I had gotten it. :)

Carol

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)

Carol: That's a neat work. Is it essential to keep the seeds in the refrigerator? I mean is it to replicate the winters that they rose seeds might be undergoing in nature. ie, hips open up in end summers, seed fall on ground but it gets cold before they germinate so they pass the winters in soil and when it get warm enough in spring, they spr out?

Straw: Your Dee-lish, CPM and Comte are stunning. Is Comte usually not a bit darker pink?

• rosecanadian

Yes, Khalid - it's to simulate winter. Sometimes I take them out of the fridge, then put them back in, then take them out. It's also important that the soil stay damp - not wet though.

Carol

• strawchicago

Khalid: The Sept. 13 pic. of Comte was formed WITHOUT horse manure. I got horse manure, and within a few days, the color became darker (thanks to the trace elements). Here's the same Comte, pic. taken Sept. 16 after horse manure .. deeper pink.

• rosecanadian

Oh Straw!!!!!!!!! That is superb!!!!! Glorious!!!! I am in drooling awe!!!

Carol