Software
Houzz Logo Print
reeljake

Dat Devilish Doveweed!

10 years ago

Day 0. After much research, it seems not many products are currently labeled for doveweed & the ones that are I can't find locally. I make a point not to buy things online so I can support local & small business in my community. The alternative treatments I've found are 3&4 way tank mixes including but not limited to dicamba, 2,4D, sulfentrazone, atrazine & several professional grade ingredients I can't begin to pronounce or spell. Apparently this is a fairly new scourge to warm weather lawns in the southern US.

This pic is from today, before applying a mix of sulfentrazone, prodiamine, 2,4D, Mecoprop & dicamba. I used 1 oz of spectracide weed stop for the last 3 ingredients & 1/2 oz of Bonide Sedge Ender for the first 2, diluted in 1 gallon of water. I also added a splash of fish fertilizer to speed things up & a squirt of baby shampoo to make it all stick better. Obviously these products are not intended to be mixed together, so attempt at your own risk. I do still have my eyebrows & all my digits, but I would not recommend letting it touch your skin. I'll update the pics of this particular plant as it dies & a few others I gave a dose. Once the effect of this low concentration is known, I'll do a larger spray at higher concentration to remove a huge patch in my neighbors lawn & a few other patches in the green space behind my house.

This is the large patch in my neighbors lawn bordering mine.

Comments (26)

  • 10 years ago

    What is your main grass? Is that bermuda? Would this area be in partial shade perchance?

  • 10 years ago

    Indeed, both pics are bermuda & both in partial shade. In the 2nd pic, my new-ish celebration is showing way too much brown stem on the left & my neighbor's 5 year old Tif 419 is on the right. The way this patch follows the property line makes me think it approves of the french drain system directly below.

  • 10 years ago

    Day 1. Not dead, but some slight discoloration. I'm surprised to see anything so quickly.

  • 10 years ago

    I just sprayed my doveweed with Celsius. It has waxy like leaves so a surfactant would be nice, but it's too hot for a surfactant on my Saint Augustine. We'll see...

  • 10 years ago

    Too hot for surfactant? I just used baby shampoo, but jet dry works too, what were you planning to use?

  • 10 years ago

    A non-ionic as suggested by label. But it also says not to use it with temps over 90.

  • 10 years ago

    Hmm. Well I'm not sure if my cheapo surfactant alternatives are ionic or not, but I didn't have any beading issues. Of course EVERYTHING I'm doing in this thread is off label...

  • 10 years ago

    Yeah you are in uncharted territory. My grass seems sensitive so i try to be careful, which often conflicts with my lack of patience.

    Lawn care nut had that video comparing blindside to Celsius against this weed in his SA but I couldn't find much in the way of post analysis.

  • 10 years ago

    Day 1 (PM). Death is knocking on their door... Some more than others.

    This one is on the other side of the lawn in full sun

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Looks like that doveweed is on its way to death! If your concoction doesn't work out the way you want I know you'd be happy with the results from celsius. Celsius takes care of just about everything I've come across except sedges and it doesn't have a temperature limitation. The hotter it is, the faster it works and vice versa. For surfactant I use nonionic (NIS) for most weeds. I switch surfactant to methylated seed oil (MSO) for weeds that have waxy leaves and tend to be harder to eradicate.

  • 10 years ago

    It's hard to justify buying high dollar specialty herbicides like Celsius when I have all the ingredients for my 4-way mix already in the garage, but I have heard great things

  • 10 years ago

    I definitely won't disagree with utilizing what's on hand, that's for sure! This thread just made me think of the small patch of doveweed that encroached my turf from a neighboring lawn earlier this summer. I had a pretty successful kill with celsius. I think one of the best aspects of celsius is the ability to use it during the summer heat with little to no turf injury on bermudagrass (I have not used celsius on any other warm season grass). I've had problems in the past with yellowing from using traditional 3-ways although the turf did usually recover in 7-10 days. Also with celsius the rate per app is so low a 10 oz bottle goes a very long way.

  • 10 years ago

    Day 3. Proof of concept for the 4 way kill. PreM effectiveness TBD.

  • 10 years ago

    Day 5. Dead dove. Bermuda is already taking back the territory & I've chosen my weapon for this fight. Now to mix up a big batch & start the carnage!

  • 10 years ago

    Time for me to mow that mess too...

  • 10 years ago

    Celcius vs Blindside here....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv4es3s6_Ac

  • 10 years ago

    Where's the fun in that?!

  • 10 years ago

    Alright so I went ahead & watched the video. Color me unimpressed. My results--A more complete kill in 5 days than he got in 21, plus my mix has a preM included. Oh yeah, and I DID NOT SPEND $100 on Celsius nor $115 on Blindside. No ill effects on my bermuda either. I can buy a lot of sedge ender & weed stop for that kind of cash!

  • 10 years ago

    Go spray your concoction on some St. Augustine grass and let's see what happens!

  • 10 years ago

    No way, I already hate using 2,4D on my Bermuda. Doveweed is a special case though, can't let it get started!

  • 10 years ago

    It would probably be just as effective against the Saint Augustine as it is the doveweed. Different battlefield, different rules of engagement.

  • 10 years ago

    Could be, I've found St. Aug to be more fragile than Bermuda with most chems. Atrazine however, kills everything except St. Aug. So it's got that magic bullet

  • 10 years ago

    Day 7. Amazing results. It took me a few minutes just to find that spot again because the plant had completely shriveled & died. Crispy. Here's what it looked like after I gently pulled it to keep it intact:

  • 10 years ago

    very jealous.

  • 10 years ago

    I'm just glad it worked without killing my grass...

  • 6 years ago

    @reeljake I'm in Atlanta and came across this discussion shortly after figuring out that the weed infesting my lawn was Doveweed and not Southern Crabgrass.


    So, I mixed up:

    - 1 oz of Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns

    - 1/2 oz of Bonide Sedge Ender

    - 1 gallon of water

    - 1 oz of Surfactant


    A couple weeks later, almost all the Doveweed is dead and my Bermuda's filling in the spots it was crowded out of.


    Really appreciate your posts!

0