johnnydc23

Peter Ruh hostas

johnnydc23

Does anyone know who raided Peter Ruh's garden when he retired?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

he lived on the property .. with his daughter ....

why do you think they were raided???

ken

• WILDernessWen5

Interesting. I live about 20 minutes away and used to stop several times during the season. I have not visited in perhaps 2years because it made me sad to see how overgrown and rundown the place had beecome. This is unsettling news to me. WW

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the website is still up.. but appears to date back to 2012 regarding listed hours ...... ken

• johnnydc23

Pretty sure they no longer live on the property and have little to do with hostas. I don't know the fate of the hostas. I'm assuming that they were scarfed up by a raiding party. Purchased? Auction? No idea.

• johnnydc23

Trying to track down the hosta Sasquatch. Having zero luck.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland

I have just seen this posted by The North Coast Hosta Society on Facebook, sad news.

I am sad to report to the Hosta Community that Peter Ruh passed away on September 20.

Janet Ruh advises they are taking time with our family at present and would appreciate that all calls be made after the end of October. He did not want a service so we will have a family gathering in the spring or summer of 2017

• WILDernessWen5

Oh, this is sad news. Thank you so much for posting this information. Wendy

• mountainy man z8 Ireland

Sorry to be the bearer, did you know him well?

• n2hostas (Kansas)

Thank you, sounds like a sad story.

• frankielynnsie

I just finished reading an article about him and it spoke of a hosta he grew and sold and never saw again after it went to holland. It turned yellow in the spring. Was that hosta yellow flash or another one? It was a happy life for them and I hope they can't see what has happened to their happy place since their death.

• miles10612

I remember stopping there many years ago. That was before I grew hostas or just Frances Williams which was always burnt. I didn’t buy hostas but some other plants that day. I remember a simply gorgeous grouping of hostas out front. Sad no one continued their work. I did buy Ulysses S, Grant a couple of years ago so I do have one of their hostas in my yard