Software
Houzz Logo Print
kimbloombergdesigns

Paint advice

10 years ago
I'm thinking of painting my formal living room
Stormy Monday. I want to paint the entire room including the trim and the wainscoting- the problem is that there are French doors and I'm not sure if it would look weird to leave them white. Or do I paint them also? Thanks!!

Comments (24)

  • 10 years ago

    Even the wainscoting ? That's going to be a lot of gray... What is workman working on? More French doors? Hard to tell from pic

  • 10 years ago

    Hmmm--why would you want to paint the wainscoting? It's beautiful, and if you paint it, it will cease to stand out and be an accent. I'd vote to leave the doors and the wainscoting white.

  • 10 years ago

    I'd leave the wainscoting, doors, ceiling, and trim white - the color on the walls will stand out more that way.

  • 10 years ago
    I have wainscoting throughout the house so a designer friend of mine suggested that painting the room monochromatic will make it seem taller. All the other rooms will still have the wainscoting in white. The workmen are building a "glass wall" that divides two rooms. Previously just the French doors there and we felt there wasn't enough light coming through. I'll post more pix but thanks so much for the advice! Also, does anyone know where I can find this wallpaper:
  • 10 years ago
    This is the look I was going for but with lighter gray.
  • 10 years ago
    Glass wall in progress:
  • 10 years ago
    That last pic of the glass wall was looking into the room I want to paint.
  • 10 years ago

    I'm not a designer, but to me the big difference between your inspiration pic and your room is that the wood trim detail covers the entire wall on the inspiration photo, which is why I think the monochrome look works there, and on yours it stops at the wainscoting. I'm not a huge fan of the inspiration photo either, too much gray for me, looks exactly like what your paint color is called, stormy monday, which is kind of depressing to me, but I know it is the "in" thing.

  • 10 years ago

    I'd leave it white... Just one less thing to repaint in a few years when you're tired of the gray & when it's no longer "in style" (which many believe since its been so overdone the last several years).

  • 10 years ago

    Btw, your glass wall looks beautiful!

  • 10 years ago
    I could do another color other than grey -
    I am more focused on whether painting the wainscoting is a bad idea? I'm assuming the consensus is no but trying to think outside the box a bit. Also; anyone know where that wallpaper is from? Thanks!!
  • 10 years ago
    Another thought since glass wall is awesome. Since you can see into the LR, I would recommend keeping the trim harmonious with the rest of the house. If the picture of wallpaper is on Houzz, you can go to more info and see if that gets you any info. Lovely home.
  • 10 years ago

    Finding a specific wallpaper from a picture is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. Your best bet is to go to a wallpaper store and ask the staff, who is familiar with their products, where you might look. Or, write the source of the picture and see if they can help you. And yes, I thick the consensus is that painting the wainscoting is a bad idea. But in the final analysis, you are the one who has to like what you do.

  • 10 years ago
    I just read through this and your new home is very lovely! I love the glass wall! I can also understand your vision of wanting this to be a different looking space from the rest of the house. The problem with inspiration pictures is they very often don't represent our spaces very well! That's not to say you shouldn't do this. The inspiration pic is a very grand room though, the molding on the walls gives it added interest as does the detailed ceiling. That's what makes this all work. You of course could add more detail to the upper walls to give this room a fully paneled look and then I think your vision would work. Some detail on the ceiling too( a simpler version) would help. Because this room is not open to the other I don't see why this can't work; but I would get help on paint selection. And a perfect paint job!
  • 10 years ago

    Please do not paint all of that beautiful molding gray.

  • 10 years ago
    Painting a paneled room all one color is a very classic look. It doesn't have to be gray, it could be anything! But this doesn't have to be a two toned look and the woodwork doesn't have to be white to be beautiful. Kim should get a designer in to help with this if she wants this very sophisticated look. It's a gorgeous house!
  • 10 years ago
    @lynartist thank you so much. I am open to going lighter too - my only concern is I would like to keep the French doors white and wondering if that would be strange if everything else is a different color. I am working with a designer and also have two friends who are very talented designers and all have been helping and piping in. Sophisticated is definitely the look I'm going for...
  • 10 years ago
    This is something that you will have to work out as your windows and trim are white and and you need to decide how far you want to take this look. If you go lighter then of course that is not so much an issue. Adding the extra trim is something you will need to discuss with your contractor and get a quote on but I think this is a great look for your space. Work out the specifics beforehand before committing though, no sense spending the extra$$!
  • 10 years ago
    I don't think the white French doors will pose much of a problem though as I'm assuming they will be kept open most of the time! As you can see from the pics I posted there are many white elements in these rooms and they look beautiful!
  • 10 years ago

    If the glass wall is painted white then I'd paint the french doors white. Painting the wainscoting the same color as the rest of the wall is fine too. It's only paint, you can repaint it the trim color later if you don't like it but I think you will.

    As for gray going out of fashion, so what. Rooms need repainting every once in a while anyway and we all change our minds about what we like.

  • 10 years ago
    Make sure you paint a sample on each wall. I tried Stormy Monday once, and it appeared purple.
  • 10 years ago

    I think painting the wainscoting to match the wall is fine. Do you already have furniture for this room? You mentioned wallpaper. If you are considering it for this room you ought to stop the paint search. You will need to choose color after you know what the wall paper colors are. I think Stormy Monday is too dark.

  • 10 years ago
    The stormy Monday is cut in half by 50% and the wallpaper is for a different room. The stormy Monday has a lot of purple in it. I also like cement grey for that reason. I do have furniture.