Software
Houzz Logo Print
801944

Basement apartment design

10 years ago
My husband and I are converting my inlaw's basement to a separate apartment for us to live. We're excited, but on a very tight budget. For the record, I'm young and have no idea what I'm doing. We kind of think of this as our "figure it out" space. And

The backstory: Feel free to skip this explanation. We currently live in a Tiny House on my inlaw's property. We love living in the area that we do. We have a couple of acres that we use for raising chickens and gardening. But we aren't at a place that we can afford to buy property and can't relocate to a more affordable area because of my husband's job. The tiny house served us well for a couple years, but now we have a baby, and he could use his own bedroom.

Anyways, my inlaw's are adding a separate entrance because they have always wanted that. It's a big, wide staircase along the side of the house, lined with Windows, with a small patio at the bottom. We are refinishing the basement to make it into the apartment. Our budget is $10,000 for everything, and we need to furnish the entire house and even buy things like towels, pots, pans, silverware, etc. We are pretty close to ikea and will probably buy almost everything there. We will likely live there for 5 years.

Anyways, I'm sharing the before pictures, and I have two specific questions.

1. We're debating between peel and stick vinyl tiles and laminate flooring. The ease of installation for the vinyl is what I like about it, but I hate how sticky it feels. We're thinking a gray, wood-look planks.

2. The walls will likely be white and gray, and the kitchen cabinets will also be white. Would it look awful to keep the trim like that?

Comments (7)