Software
Houzz Logo Print
mshapiro1

Storage cube instead of dresser

9 years ago

Hey everyone,


We have a small bedroom and are in need of a new dresser. Instead of purchasing a dresser, I was thinking of purchasing a 12 cube organizer (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-12-Cube-Organizer-Multiple-Colors/46368960) and fabric bins to store our clothes. I was wondering if anyone has done this before? Are the storage bis more frustrating than a regular dresser? Would love some advice.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

  • 9 years ago

    It won't make for an elegant presentation, but it'll be serviceable. I have just such a "cube thing" in my large master bath -- they're great for storing towels, toilet paper, etc. And I have "cube baskets" in some squares. My youngest daughter has one in her bedroom too -- she uses hers for books, and the top is covered with picture frames.

    Before you buy from Walmart.com, I suggest you look at Ikea. They have these things in every shape and configuration -- different colors too. They have that great sale too, the one where you eat in their restaurant and then deduct the full cost of your meal from a $100+ furniture purchase. That comes around about twice a year.

    mshapiro1 thanked mrspete
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks! Unfortunately there are no Ikea's anywhere by me and shipped costs are extremely high. Have you used any of the cube baskets to store clothes? Wondering if it'll be a pain after a while.

  • 9 years ago

    When I did it, I used the bins for things like under garments ,socks and night wear. Sweaters,jeans etc I just stacked in the cubbys.

  • 9 years ago

    Interestingly, my DH did this on our recent MBR renovation. He prefers to fold his polos and tees. I had a cube bookcase unit we didn't need any longer, and he put the unit in his closet.

    The interior squares hold his folded shirts very nicely, stacked inside. Makes it look like a store display, very nice. Some of the cubbies have baskets that he uses to store underwear and socks.

    He loves it and it seems easy for him to keep it looking nice.

  • 9 years ago

    We put the cube organizers in our boys closets from Ikea (Kallax) In the walk in, we stacked one 5 cube on top of an 8 cube, with hanging on both sides. The boys prefer to fold their Tsirts, jeans/pants, and they have the cloth bins for workout shorts, underware, socks, etc. They prefer this so much more over dresser drawers. We love them so much, all three kids use them in their college living quarters for extra kitchen storage. We bought the Wallmart ones for the apartments/dorms. and a thinner, 3 cube from target that doubled as a night stand next to the bed.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus