Software
Houzz Logo Print
jml248

How much continuity in your furniture styles from room to room?

9 years ago

We are remodeling(rebuilding) our home room by room. We are a young family so right now our furniture solely consists of freebies and hand me downs. Eventually I would like to buy furniture that actually fits with my taste and our home's size/space.

Right now we are remodeling our kitchen and I am shopping for bar stools. We have an old farmhouse without any of the original character (destroyed by previous owners) and while we are not holding strictly to that style, it's definitely farmhouse (wood and tile floors (soapstone lookalike) but with some modern elements (door hardware, cabinet hardware, faucets etc.)

I prefer function (durable, well constructed, and easy to clean) with generally simple, clean lines. While I am looking to invest in some quality furniture for our living room ( we are big fans of Stickley) I'm not looking to spend a fortune on bar stools.

Our kitchen will be cherry shaker with soapstone counters and a rustic looking tile. It opens into the living room, not a full open concept, but not exactly closed off either.


These are the bar stools I'm looking at:

This living room (aside from it being the size of my entire house!) exemplifies the mix of natural elements and feel I would be going for with a mix of more refined and relaxed elements, mostly solid colors for the furniture. It also has the permanent wood and stone elements present in our house. .


Frio Family Retreat · More Info

I like the second stool the best, but we also have MCM furniture that we inherited (a china hutch and dining room table). Not really sure if we will keep them and they are both pretty large and a bit too large for our house.


Here's some shots of uninstalled cabs/soapstone (the soapstone will be unoiled so it will be a much lighter grey/blue color)


Would love some opinions!

Comments (11)

  • 9 years ago

    I like the second stools pictured the best. I would have to check any stools for comfort, stability and sturdiness, though, before I bought them.

    jml248 thanked Fun2BHere
  • 9 years ago

    I love the second stools as well.

    jml248 thanked Abby Krug
  • 9 years ago

    I like the second stools very much, but wonder if their charm won't be lost against cherry cabinets. Cherry seems formal to me, the stools seem more rustic. If you are doing an island or peninsula with cherry base, I'd think about how the stools would look against that wood.

    jml248 thanked Olychick
  • 9 years ago

    I like the contrast of the first ones. I LOVE cool colors against cherry because they make both the wood and the contrasting color pop. But, I would have a very hard time personally buying upholstered bar stools, even though I love them, because my kids primarily use them at the counter. If they are upholstered in an ultra durable, stain resistant fabric, it might sell me. Otherwise I would probably opt for something in a black metal or stainless look to break up the wood.

    jml248 thanked EvaElizabeth
  • 9 years ago

    Our inexpensive bar stools are covered in an ultra durable, stain resistant fabric and boy am I glad they are! Just a wipe down with a wet microfiber cloth is all it takes to bring them back to new. Another important feature, for me, would be a swivel bar stool.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I also like the look of the second stools best, but as others have said, not sure if I would put them up against the cherry. Love your cabinets, love your soapstone BTW!

    Regarding the upholstered stools, I know I would be afraid of kids + fabric but I might also be on the overcautious end of things.

    In our house there is not much continuity of furniture style from one room to the next in terms of everything being MCM or farmhouse or French country, because none of the rooms are any one particular style. Every room has a blend of thrift-store finds, family antiques, Crate and Barrel/IKEA, etc.

    I would not recommend my house as a model for anyone else's, other than to say when I am in a house that is all primitives or all Victorian or all French country or whatever, it often feels to me like I'm on a stage set rather than in a personal home. I lack the discipline and love too many different things to pull it off myself.

  • 9 years ago

    Of the three stools you show, I also like the second one the best.

    In our previous home we had natural cherry shaker cabinets with dark counters. At our island and raised peninsula we had different stools. Since we had a lot of shaker furniture, we went with these at the island as they mimicked our dining room chairs in the adjoining room.

    Not sure if you'd consider backless stools. These also swivel and are very comfortable.

    We've been in our new home for 2.5 years and I'm still looking for stools for our island. In the meantime, our old stools are filling the bill.

    jml248 thanked nhbaskets
  • 9 years ago

    I think our styles are similar. We have a mix of Stickley, Room & Board, Crate and Barrel, and thrift/flea/antique in our house. I like the first two stools you posted but if you have little kids, I always worry about open back stools like #2. I picture them sliding out the back! If you can get the top stools in a fabric like Sunbrella, that would be my choice.

    I'll say this, too. When we did our kitchen over, I didn't want to spend a lot for stools either. (We also have a cherry island.) So I bought inexpensive painted stools...which never looked right, plus they weren't comfortable. A couple of years later I replaced them with good quality cherry stools -- which I wished I had just splurged on in the first place. We still have them and they look great almost 10 years later.

    jml248 thanked Sueb20
  • 9 years ago

    Easy to clean is a must!

    I definitely like the contrast of 1, but 2 the best. But I think ya'll are right that it may be too much wood on wood, which is definitely what was buzzing in the back of my mind. I'm also still unsure if we should go with straight stool or backless (and the myriad of other options that are available. But I can comb thru the gw archives for that).

    So since none of those in my price range were really "right" I continued looking. And I found some choices I really like......

    More metal, but still with some wood (except 2 which is polyurethane, but it is also cushioned....)

    These also happen to be twice what I budgeted/wanted to spend. Naturally.


  • 9 years ago

    After just spending months scouring stores for the perfect counter stools, I came to only one solid conclusion: no upholstery or leather. In fact, I also never understood upholstered dining chairs or rugs under dining tables for the same reason: food falls on it, harder to clean, why bother!