Software
Houzz Logo Print
drjay44

Basic Kitchen Cabinet Question

9 years ago

I am redoing the house. have picked out flooring and am going to whitewash the wood ceiling.


Now i look at new cabinets. so confused. I stopped at Home Depot and checked out their selection. the designer tells me KraftMaid is the best. i read reviews and so many complaints about poor fit, finish etc. i find same poor reviews for Schuler, Thomasville, Medallion and others. Every once in a while I read a great review.


So do i go to a high end kitchen store? I do not want to spend a fortune. My kitchen measures 6x12 x5. a sort of a U shape. i read that for good quality expect to pay about $250 a linear foot. So that comes to about $5,700. However i keep reading where people are paying more like $12,000 for cabinets??


I am lost on this. i currently have a wood countertop and will be replacing with granite. My cabinets are simple MDF and really don't need to be replaced but rather a new finish. it's just that after doing the floors and countertop i felt new cabinets would look nice.


I really do not want to buy pre made boxes at my local store and try to install.


Anyway i can do this project (installed) for say $4,000-$5,000? If that means MDF rather than plywood I'll live with it. i have MDF now and no complaints in 8 years. I can live without silent closing cabinet hinges etc. but don't want junk!


So stick with the big box store or go to a cabinet shop??

Comments (17)

  • 9 years ago

    I would try a local custom cabinet guy. It can be surprising how cost effective they can be. Also, if your cabinets are good why not paint them or paint them and get new doors?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    If you decide to go the local custom cabinet maker route, be aware that you will not necessarily get high quality and/or inexpensive cabinets. It's a misconception that all "local custom cabinet makers" are high quality and inexpensive.

    I'll look for one of the threads about this topic. Hmmm...it might be in the Read Me thread; I'll check.

    One advantage of new cabinets is that you can get more functional cabinets.

    Have you considered IKEA? They are actually a good quality for a standard cabinet line and at a good price. They are ready-to-assemble (RTA), but since you are a DIYer, they should work out fine for you. (IKEA cabinets also come standard with some higher-end options like soft-close drawers.)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I agree with buehl. I'd go with Ikea.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Here's a link to one of the threads with the info I mentioned. Unfortunately, it was cut off when Houzz took over GW and they never fixed it. (*sigh* one of the many issues with the take over and lack of testing the migration.)


    http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2694920/custom-cabinets-lines?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    BTW....even though IKEA cabinets are RTA, you can ask IKEA for certified installers in your area.

  • 9 years ago

    Definitely go with Ikea. For the money they can't be beat. The big box stores are not the way to go.

  • 9 years ago

    The biggest benefit of getting new cabinets is that you can change your layout and make your space more efficient. And get drawers... lots of drawers. Try looking at the "New to kitchens" thread, then post some images and a diagram. There are people here that can work magic on a layout.

    If you want an updated look, there may be other options than to replace the cabinets. Post some images and let's see!

  • 9 years ago

    Sounds like Ikea is an excellent option for you.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    All of the cabinet companies you mentioned above having poor reviews make good cabinets. When you read reviews about finish it's often from people who don't understand wood and how it takes stain, that glazing is never uniform and that paint on wood is eventually going to separate at points where it expands and contracts. As far as fit, it's the poor installation, most often at fault, not the cabinet construction. If you stick with standard finishes you will avoid these problems that often (not always) based on misconceptions.

    For a frameless cabinet IKEA is an excellent value. I almost used them but I prefer framed cabinets with a 1/2" overlay so I went with Kraftmaid. They will be arriving in a couple of weeks. I did give up some storage space in favor of design. On the other hand Ikea was more restrictive in how I wanted my laout. I will be using there shallow tall units for a pantry on another wall in the future. At that time I will get the doors made elsewhere to match the wood of the Kraftmaid. No problem since it's hickory without fancy stains etc. It's be an easy "match".

    I also found that in the long run the cabinets cost about the same after you factor in all the special inserts that fit Ikea. For example the drawers don't have sides so you need to buy glass ones and the bottoms are radiused to fit all the Ikea specialty inserts etc.

    We'll do our own install and I bought my own special features like pull outs etc. online previously so I saved a lot there. Also hit a good sale at Lowes when I purchased the cabs.

  • 9 years ago

    As for "never do Big Box," I would disagree. We've done it twice (DIY install) and have been happy on quality and price; HOWEVER, you aren't going to do it for 4-5K. Ikea is a good choice, but also check out Scherrs and Semihandmade.

    Reasons to go new vs rehab existing:

    •Your new granite countertop will last a long time. Will your cabinets?

    •Better design/function than current

    •Drawers vs crawl-in cupboards

  • 9 years ago

    I would look around for a local cabinet maker. Most of the time they install their own cabinets and if they have an issue they can fix it rather than waiting 8 weeks for yet another shipment...

  • 9 years ago

    At 4-5K, as others have said, your choices are very limited; I'd also recommend Ikea, but....I'm a retired builder, so for 6K, I got an entire new kitchen, but I did all the work, and already had all the tools. The only work I didn't do myself was some gas piping and a new 220V line.

  • 9 years ago

    Another possibility is to buy used kitchen cabinets off craigslist. For some of these high-end houses every time they change ownership the new owner puts in a new kitchen and so they pull out the old kitchen which the last owner barely used. To do that you really have to know your measurements. I do recommend posting your floor plan etc. on here and letting the design gurus weigh in.

    The other advantage to IKEA is that most of the lower cabinets can come in the form of drawers. Drawers are absolutely the best thing to have in the kitchen, no more down on your hands and knees searching at the back of the cabinet just pull the drawer out and the entire contents of the drawer is visible. Most of the big box stores sell cabinets if you buy them already made. You can order drawers but the cost begins to go up. If you have an IKEA near you, I would take the time to look there.

  • 9 years ago

    Just out of curiosity, are you thinking a contractor is going to do this for 4-5K, or just the materials are that price? After thinking about this for a while, I simply don't see how it can be done outside of something like Ikea, or, off-the-shelf big box oak faced cabinets that you both finish and install yourself.

  • 9 years ago

    IKEA or local cabinetmaker

    but it's hard to believe it will cost 5K IKEA or not. a friend of mine was recently quoted 9K for IKEA cabinets, small U-shaped kitchen..he didn't want anything special there as he remodeled to rent this home.

    Of course, depends on a kitchen still...maybe you have less uppers, maybe you have less lowers..

    The said friend of mine did find much cheaper cabinets in the end, I believe from some discounted store..they look sturdy and nice but very far from what he wanted..)) Not that important as it's not for him; but the last thing he imagined were "antiqued" cabinets..))

    Don't look at price per linear foot; it will all depend whether it's a cabinet or a drawer, what are the doors, will there be any glass inserts, etcetera

    People are paying 12K and much more too..not necessarily because they want to. Woodwork is expensive. Payed 400$ for an unfinished recessed wall cabinet, wanted to put it in between the studs in a small bath..as basic as they come.

  • 9 years ago

    (btw checking Craigslist is a nice idea too

    we put the one from the previous owners on Craigslist..IKEA too(not because I hate IKEA-their kitchens are probably one of the best products they carry-but these particular cabinets didn't have anything in common with the style of the house, and we were taking walls down anyway). We put the whole shebang of this kitchen for sale for 800$..including granite etc. My email was full of messages within an hour.

    Then DH got "Oh then I'd rather save it for ourselves" regrets, and it lives in our garage right now..))

    But people do sell old kitchens. and sometimes rather new kitchens. ours was pretty new for example.