Software
Houzz Logo Print
hugoayala10

help deciding backslash

9 years ago
here is a picture of what I'm thinking to change 2 , .but I'm not sold on the back splash.

looking for ideas for backsplash to tie in the ugly counter top , which I'm not planning to change . only changing backsplash / flooring / paint .

appliances are stainless steel now.

Comments (18)

  • 9 years ago
    I completely agree with the backsplash , looks like i should be trying to match the countertop instead of the cabinets.
    im really liking the white or aqua glass tile idea .. I originally wanted to go towards a country / homie look but couldn't figure out how to get it lol
  • 9 years ago

    The first one I posted is a very country look I think. But not everyone likes that kind of stone (I can't remember what it's called).

  • 9 years ago
    ya I'm not huge on the stone on the first one , i would like to paint the island and the cabinet above the stove a darker colour ... ??
    what do you think for flooring ?
  • 9 years ago

    I, too, really like your current flooring as it "goes with" your cabinets much better than the darker one you're considering. Unless you are installing the darker wood throughout your home I would spend your money on new countertops and backsplash. As for painting any of the cabinets, no.

  • 9 years ago
    yes , I was planning on doing it through out the kitchen / dinning room / living room . as its open plan but the living room has carpet at the moment
  • 9 years ago

    can't you match the existing flooring? It looks much better than the new. I would as suggested use the money for new countertops instead

  • 9 years ago
    I personally don't like the existing floor at all , it might photograph better then it looks in person .. here's an old picture of the rest of the space (previous owners furniture in picture) I'll take a new picture with my furniture and new stainless steel appliances when I get the chance
  • 9 years ago
    the new dark flooring I took a picture of is not set in stone .. I'm open to different flooring options and back splash and paint options
  • 9 years ago
    Hi, I like your house. Is the kitchen backsplash white with inserts green? If so leave it alone and seriously consider replacing the (sorry looking) counters. Butterfly green or Uba tuba granite will compliment the cabinets . With the new appliances and new counters the kitchen will look amazing. Don't rush with many changes.
  • 9 years ago
    unfortunately one of the reasons I'm really wanting to change the backsplash is because the previous owner had them done or did it him self and did a very poor job .. you can't see in the pictures but if you step back and look down the wall there are peaks and mountains all over the tile .. and the ugly mirror behind the sink. . lol not my cup of tea

    I'm also selling in the next year or 2 .. so I originally didn't want to spend thousands on getting high end countertops .. but I do want to get it as beautiful as possible .
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I like your current floors as well. since you are selling in a few years, spend the money on the kitchen. The money you save on the flooring can go for countertops which is what new buyers will be looking for. You can get a pre-fabricated granite or quartz countertop for a lot less then picking out an entire slab. Pre-fabs go for about $500 for a 8'X24" finished edge piece.

    here is a pic of what some look like. This is just one company. If you do the legwork and go to a large stoneyard, you should find them sitting out among the slabs. Then you just hire a fabricator to install them. Instead of spending 4-5K, it's about 1-1.5K.

    https://www.msistone.com/prefabricated-countertops/quartz/

    kitchens and baths sell homes. to tear out that floor and get decent quality, new flooring, will cost 3-4K. getting bargain flooring will just make it look worse. those current floors (hickory?) look good enough. Get them refinished if you have to, but spend the money elsewhere.

  • 9 years ago
    now that is one piece of information I did not know , thank you

    I hope I can find something like that out here near Vancouver , bc
  • 9 years ago
    I also like the existing floor that you have. I would put the money into new countertops and decide the backsplash based on that. For me, the green walls would have to go. I think something in a grey/beige (greige) would look great.
  • 9 years ago
    Go to Houzz and search kitchen backsplash for ideas. A combination stainless steel, glass and tile to compliment counter. After you can decide on color for walls and door in kitchen. Another suggestion: change cabinet door handles and pulls.
  • 9 years ago

    Hugo, I'm sure they do. If not, maybe take a drive down into WA??

  • 9 years ago
    Hugo A.
    Is that your dining furniture? Asking to understand more your taste. Are you planning to paint just the kitchen wall or the entire first floor?
    Waiting to see your photo of kitchen with stainless steel appliances and your furniture in living area. Don't leave us hanging. TKS.
  • 9 years ago
    Hugo A.
    Another suggestion ref. paint color for kitchen, you can use a wallpaper instead (wallpaper is back) that picks up the existing counter color . This would resolve your color and backsplash dilemma, save since you don't plan to stay long, and adds pizzas .