Software
Houzz Logo Print
cathy_thomas85

Backsplash dilemma!

9 years ago

I am trying to decide what shade of tumbled travertine to use for my new construction home kitchen. We are planning on using white cabinets and Santa Cecilia granite with bronze hardware .. I was thinking no he but am now wondering if that's too dark? I've enclosed a few photos. Below are my choices and below that is the granite color. Also, what grout shade since that can totally change the look? Our floors are going to be a dark wood with a gray undertone. Thanks for your input!

Comments (26)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    i think the tumbled is too much and dull to the shiny granite. a soft beige subway glass would be my choice.


    Cathy Thomas thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • 9 years ago

    Tile 200, out of these choices.

    Cathy Thomas thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    I like the travertine, but it tends to read pink - especially when you look at a whole backsplash instead of a sample. If you want to stay away from a pinkish tone, go with subway tile or another simple similar tile. If you are allowed to wait, I found it very helpful to pick my backsplash after my counter was in. Seeing all the countertops in changed my choice just a bit (I went from white to cream subway). You can also decide grout after the tile is in. Un-grouted will give you an idea of what a contrast would look like.

    Cathy Thomas thanked jhmarie
  • 9 years ago

    Ok so one more thing is that we are doing somewhat of a farmhouse style and I feel like the travertine will really give the brick appearance I want..I originally had picked the tan subway tile and changed my mind given my end goal and also that I felt that would look like a cafeteria wall.

  • 9 years ago

    Maybe white bead board for backsplash everywhere except behind stove. This would fit well with your farmhouse look. Behind stove you could tile with same granite as the counters.

    Cathy Thomas thanked RubyRoses
  • 9 years ago

    Sorry, but the travertine is undertone beige or brown and santa cecilia reads undertone yellow . . travertine is pretty dated for your look also - has too much tuscan overtone. If you want brick, go to real brick veneer and paint it the white of your cabinets in a gloss - that will be easier to scrub and give the look you were trying to achieve - overgrout the brick - don't point it back for ease of cleanup. White beadboard would be an improvement over the travertine - also a good suggestion from rr.

    Cathy Thomas thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Personally, I like the bottom travertine. Tends to pick up coloring within the granite, complimenting it better than the other 2. I would suggest you request to see the current variation vs a sample board. Natural stone is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get. Product will vary some from samples as well.
    Being that we are located in Texas, travertine is a very "In" thing for ranch style homes and has been for decades.

    Cathy Thomas thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • 9 years ago

    Top one is my personal preference but a caveat, from a homeowner who's done travertine- Tumbled is very porous. It will be difficult to maintain-clean. If you're set on travertine- and I get i!- consider honed/polished. Unless you have a live-in, who's on it every day. :)

    Cathy Thomas thanked User
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I did a kitchen project a couple of years ago with all similar color/material choices as yours. Here's a pic. All of the lighting was not yet installed in the first two photos. The backsplash is 4x4 ceramic tile. It has a stone look, cleans beautifully and was very reasonably priced. We used extra large pulls in dark bronze on full height white cabinets. The entire room came out beautifully on a rather conservative budget. Hope this helps!

    Cathy Thomas thanked Simply Put Staging Services, LLC
  • 9 years ago

    Cathy Thomas thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • 9 years ago
    The first one would be my choice if I was choosing travertine.
    After months of looking for the right backsplash, I went with something simple that was easy to clean and did not clash with my granite. I also wanted something timeless.
    Cathy Thomas thanked cretan64
  • 9 years ago

    I think the cabs and counter will be best with ceramic and the farmhouse look will be easily achieved with ceramic.

    Cathy Thomas thanked Anne Duke
  • 9 years ago

    @Cretan, can you post your flooring? :)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    With the white cabinets I like the middle darker choice. You may like the contrast with white cabinets. Believe it or not, the backsplash tile color I chose is called "Parks Gray". It doesn't look gray at all with the surrounding colors. Don't be afraid to be bold so that your backsplash pops (if that's something you want). Within reason, your backsplash can be a stand alone.

    Cathy Thomas thanked Simply Put Staging Services, LLC
  • 9 years ago
    everdebz, I was very lucky in finding a perfect match that complimented my backsplash, I hope it shows on your screen, it is very cloudy here today so I am not sure if you can actually see it well.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Working to another's taste without knowing the person is a difficult proposition. If I were asked to do something with broad appeal that won't get dated too quickly I'd go with one of your subway options. I believe the proposed top and splash will be pretty muddy looking to most folks.

  • 9 years ago

    I guess I'm in the minority here but I feel like the subway tile is more of a "fad" that will look "dated" 7-8 years from now where as the travertine to me is classic and timeless..SimplyPutStaging I've been leaning toward the darker travertine with a lighter grout to give it the brick look..what do you think?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    History repeats itself.
    Cathy Thomas, are you planning to have the pits filled with the grout or leave pits unfilled?

  • 9 years ago

    @Cretan, then I think you'd offer a help to this poster, about flooring? wouldya? :)

    [Cathy, didn't think you'd mind.] [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchen-floor-color-dsvw-vd~4255785[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchen-floor-color-dsvw-vd~4255785)

    Cathy Thomas thanked everdebz
  • 9 years ago
    I have tumbled travertine as a backsplash. The pores were filled with the grout. The whole thing was sealed (not with enhancer.). I cook a lot and make pasta sauces frequently. Any splashes onto the backsplash wipes clean with Formula 409. No grease stains or permanent stains after 8 years. Choose what you like.
    Cathy Thomas thanked Gerry
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I have to agree with the subway tile, glass or porcelain in a light beige or grey, larger size 3"x9", 6" x 12" the simplicity will eliminate competition with the granite and cabinetry. Take your door and a few tile samples to the granite yard to see against your slab if possible. I like the bead board and painted brick suggestions as well just concerned about long term cleaning.

    Cathy Thomas thanked Sweetwater Design
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hi Cathy, I think the noce travertine is actually a pretty choice with your selections, trust your instincts! On the grout, though pick the color that you will notice the least, if you go too light then the holes will be highlighted; and just use impregnating sealer, not enhancer on the stone.

    Cathy Thomas thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Santa Cecelia has changed a lot in recent batches. I would go to whatever granite supplier your builder is using and look at the current slabs. I practically guarantee they don't look like your sample. Then you can determine backsplash. Hate to see you pick from design center sample and find out you have to change everything because the granite is nothing like what you thought you picked. In addition, Santa Cecelia has yellow undertones which won't play well with white cabinets. Just check things out so you have no surprises.
    Cathy Thomas thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    BTW, as an alternative, look for Jet Mist granite. It looks like soapstone but less expensive. Would work well with your white cabinets. Easy to clean. Goes with farmhouse vibe. Check it out.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Yes, Flo is right about Jet Mist (AKA Virginia Mist) granite. It has a wonderful farmhouse look with white cabinets. Then if you want a brick look backsplash, get a glazed brick. These are real bricks, thin cut, and glazed with color so they're easy to clean. They also have a lot of texture which gives a farmhouse/rustic look.

    Here are two with white bricks:

    Thompson · More Info


    St Anthony Village Kitchen · More Info

    Closeup of white bricks:

    Coronado Classic · More Info


    This one has dark brown or black glaze:

    Mill Valley Remodel · More Info

    Several companies make them--Waterworks, Ann Sacks, and they come in a lot of colors. You can also get a different look by using white with medium or dark gray grout.

    Cathy Thomas thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC