Software
Houzz Logo Print
mary_dudar

Staircase Update for Future Sale

9 years ago


Staircase · More Info
Shall I paint the balusters, stringers, risers? Nervous about removing the runner as there may be color differential in the stain and/or damage from carpet tacks. I am having the wallpaper removed and intend to replace the chandelier.
Chandelier for foyer · More Info

Comments (21)

  • 9 years ago

    Yes paint them white. Have the stairs sanded & refinished to get rid of discoloration

    Mary thanked jck910
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Let your buyer decide whether or not to paint.

    Mary thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 9 years ago

    I don't think the wood is bad and buyers may prefer it. I agree,,,,let them decide. not worth the hassle or the cost to you. It won't be the deal breaker for someone considering buying. save the money, you won't get it back on the sale.

    wallpaper and light, yes. change it.

    Mary thanked Beth H. :
  • 9 years ago

    I guess to each their own... As a buyer I would hate that staircase especially with the white wainscoting. I would check with your realtor about what sells in your area

  • 9 years ago
    If you want to brighten the staircase I would replace the rather dismal runner.
  • 9 years ago

    you can add interest and perhaps some colour by just changing the light, please don't change too much as you don't even know - the changes might put off potential buyers.

  • 9 years ago
    The runner is the biggest problem here, so if anything, I'd replace that. The other problem is that there's nothing else to look at, except dark wood. The walls need some art. And maybe paint the front door. Give people something to look at.

    (The lantern is fine.)
  • 9 years ago

    It's a personal preference...I don't like white balusters. Maybe you can remove runner and see what condition the wood is? If you need to, then you can replace the runner with something more updated. IMO light looks dated and should be replaced.

    Mary thanked ladybug A 9a Houston area
  • 9 years ago

    I love your staircase! Do not paint anything! Replace the light.

    Mary thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 9 years ago

    The hall runner is too wide, the stair runner and lighting too dated, and the art hung too high. You have plenty you can tackle without painting the stairs. They look to be in good shape, so let the buyer decide. They won't be a deal breaker with a new runner.

    Mary thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The space seems dismal. I think by removing the wallpaper and painting white and replacing the light fixture will do the trick, like you said. May not be worth it to invest money beyond that. The staircase is clearly beautiful (minus the stair runner) and can easily be seen by potential buyers.

    Mary thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    I will remove the wallpaper. Decorator has advised painting with BM Edgecomb Gray HC-173. For the fixture, I have linked my ideabook in case anyone cares to comment.

    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75643134/thumbs/chandelier-for-foyer

  • 9 years ago
    If you change anything make it the runner or just remove it and see how the stairs look. If they look bad then do a new runner. Some people are going to want the railing painted, but just because it's not wont turn them away. Not to mention if you paint it's a big job! Unless you have a professional do it, it's tedious and time consuming...sanding, priming and two coats of finish, making sure not to get any paint on steps (that would bug me the most!). People have their own ideas about color of trim, runner style, etc. you can't please everyone so don't try. If I were buying I would do white trim with a black handrail and a really funky, colorful runner...see? everyone's different!
  • 9 years ago
    Again, I wouldn't replace the light. The ones you posted are certainly nice, but not everyone will like the same light. Let them pick their own.
  • 9 years ago
    I would leave the staircase as it is. Just paint the walls - update that pink. And perhaps and new chandelier.
  • 9 years ago

    Leave the staircase change the light fixture.

  • 9 years ago
    Talk to your realtor, what do they suggest? For my area your house would sell easily as is.
  • 9 years ago

    I am probably a year away from listing my house, so haven't spoken to a realtor yet. I figure if I need to update, I might as well get some enjoyment out of it in the meantime.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Replace the lighting and paint the walls. That's all. Looks like you don't have a light on when you took the photo, so it's not looking dismal to me. A new buyer may not want a runner at all, or not the color you replace it with. Half the people will want the staircase as is unpainted, some will want white, some cream, some a black handrail, so leave it alone. If the carpet is clean, leave it as is, don't replace it.

    I just want to see a super clean, fresh/neutral smelling home when house shopping.

    Mary thanked Bette P
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Fresh paint makes a very good first impression, it smells fresh and look clean and updated.

    I would change the chandelier into a multi pendant chandelier to make a statement in the entrance and make the house feel cozy.

    In Galilee lighting we make beautiful lighting in unique styles. We invite you to visit our website to view our unique lighting collections.

    If you would like to receive our catalog by email and get more ideas, contact Sales@GalileeLighting.com or visit www.GalileeLighting.com

    We offer free design consultation, to design the perfect size of chandelier for your space.

    SNOW LIGHT CHANDELIER TWO STORY FOYER · More Info


    GLAM CHANDELIER, GLOW PENDANT by GALILEE LIGHTING · More Info

    GOLDEN GLAM LIGHTING CHANDELIERS, GOLDY PENDANTS by GALILEE LIGHTING · More Info

    REEF CHANDELIER - HAND BLOWN GLASS LONG CHANDELIER · More Info

    CONTEMPORARY BLOWN GLASS GLOBE PENDANT LIGHTING | TWO STORY CHANDELIER by GALILE · More Info