Software
Houzz Logo Print
creativethkr

Love the beam

Was the wall you removed load bearing? This looks great what a nice remodel. I have a very long load bearing wall that I have wanted to remove for years. My contractor is suggesting I not remove it to keep cost down.

Again, very nice change
Remodel Custom · More Info

Comments (3)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    In this case it was not load bearing. There are different ways to handle load bearing walls based on what is on them. Second floors are more difficult than just ceiling joist or roof loads. In this case if this antique beam look was something you liked you could put that load support in place under the ceiling where that beam is and then "wrap" it in the antique look.
  • 13 years ago
    I just posted my room (which is a passive solar sun room) it is off my open kitchen / den. I soooo wanted to take the walls out between that area and the odd sunroom I posted pictures of. I love your beam idea. It would take a 80s house to the next level as my sunroom has 24 ft ceiling. See my other post.

    Many thanks again this looks fantastic
  • 13 years ago
    David, I like to mix styles and was originally trained as an interior designer. But moved to another career and now I do it as a hobby for myself and friends. I love the look of your room, a nice mix of styles. The walls I want to remove have the entire load of the second and third floors (third floor is an attic with 15ft ceiling - that a project for another day or year with this economy)