Software
Houzz Logo Print
katrina_goldsmith

Need advice for replacing 36" Viking Gas Cooktop and Bosch d/w

We did a full remodel in 2000 which included a Viking 6 burner cooktop and Bosch dishwasher that we are looking to replace. I have gotten used to the Viking configuration with the controls on the right side, and the 6 burners with two equal sized burners in the middle spots, perfect for setting a griddle over. However, the largest burner quit working years ago (our only complaint) and I am wary of another Viking, although it would probably fit our cutout without drama. Salesperson is leading me towards Wolf CG365P, but I'm a little wary of those dual burners. Does anyone have any suggestions? Jenn-air has a 6 burner/side control also I notice. I'm not married to 6 burners, just want a great cooktop and a place to put a griddle. Also looking to replace the Bosch d/w... thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Comments (4)

  • 9 years ago

    Is it the dual stacked burners of Wolf that you're wary of? If so, what are your concerns? I have a 15" Wolf cooktop with them and I like it. I've put pots of stock and the like on the simmer setting for hours. It's great!

    There are plenty of good cooktops out there. Unless it's basically the same model, I don't think that Viking is any more likely to fit your cutout than any other. If that's a concern, you should be able to find spec sheets for all the units that you're looking at on their makers' websites, and easily compare them to what you have. (Getting the measurements of your cutout is likely the harder part of the task.)

    I like Wolf for a civilized stove (no enamel melting power, but more than enough for average home cooking). Don't let salesclerks guide your choices, however, because they have sales goals, etc., motivating them. Most--the honest ones--want you to like your appliance, but if they think you don't mind which you get, they'll steer you to one that works for you and for their pockets.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you so much for your input. I read a review somewhere about the stacked burners working well for the simmer temperatures but way too hot on the "normal" burner, not enough variation for low-med-high temperatures. Do you use yours for other than simmering?

  • 9 years ago

    I don't use mine much, because I have both gas and induction and use the induction way more. I do use the gas for all kinds of things though. The little unit has a small and medium burner (I think it's 9K+ and 12K btu, but I'm too tired to look it up). I've never heard anyone say Wolf was overpowered! In this day and age, everyone wants more power more power, and Wolf is civilized. I think the large burners are 15K or 16K btu, which is more than half again as much as the old standard for home cooking, but isn't the dragon's breath that some wok aficionados want, which mimics the heat of a sidewalk brazier. For actual cooking, it has more than you probably need.

    I think it's true that the low doesn't go down to simmer. If I remember right, I've started something on low and thought it was too high and changed it to the simmer ring. But the simmer ring isn't only low low low. It does barely there to full on low, so it's just a matter of getting used to switching rings, which is just turning the knob farther. All cooktops and ovens have quirks and one soon learned how to make the most of them.

    I'm still trying to figure out the variation issue, because like with any knob on a gas cooktop, there's a continuous scale.

    I'm not trying to sell you on Wolf. It's a good cooktop, but most gas cooktops are. If you want something more "pro" dragon's breath, look at BlueStar, American Range and Capital. For more residential standard, but nice, there's certainly the Jenn-Air, which I don't know anything about but you already do, Thermador, and plenty of others.

    With any of them, if you can find one installed in a showroom where you can test it out, that would be the best way to figure out if you like the way it handles.

    Katrina Goldsmith thanked plllog
  • 9 years ago

    Choice depends on your cooking style and preference. I appreciate BlueStar and gas but a remodel is a good opportunity to reevaluate induction. Induction is safer for sure and more efficient, just a different cooking experience. BS's more industrial look may not fit your style, if so it's hard to go wrong with Wolf. As for the dishwasher, we're happy with our Bosch (11 years and running) and would replace with another.

    Katrina Goldsmith thanked stevep2005
Sponsored
The Steele Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio