Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebclassnews

Ebony stained staircase. advice please!!!!

tee are
7 years ago
we are scraping the floors now and I really love the look of ebony stained stairs.
now reading reviews I see that ebony is really not practical, shows all dirt n dust!! but I'm thinking maybe if it's just for the steps then it's not so bad?!? anyone with advice that has made it? attaching a pic for a sample.

Comments (23)

• tee are
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    bump
  • tee are
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    bump. is there it practical? and wat finish should it have?. high gloss?
  • acm
    7 years ago

like your woodwork -- semigloss. you don't want to slip and end up at the bottom.

I like the dark finish in your example photo, where there's a dark door to make sense of it. only you can say whether (seeing) dust makes you crazy.

• Angel 18432
    7 years ago

Think of it this way. The dirt/dust is there even when you have carpet - you just can't see it. Go for wood, - see the dirt/dust clean the dirt/dust. Only takes a wipe or two - not a biggie in my thinking.

• hsharrington
    7 years ago

I agree with Angel 18432. I just use a Swiffer Duster, start at the top step, and dust my way down. It picks up all the dust and if there are little doodads, I just keep sweeping those down to the bottom step. Then I use a damp paper towel to pick them up. It's totally worth the short amount of time and effort for the beauty of those stairs.

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

i swiffer down the back stairs and then herd the pile of cat hair and 'doodads' (love that term!) over to where i have a stick vacuum permanently plugged in, and vacuum up the mess. works fine. much more efficient than vacuuming the stairs.

but only YOU know if YOU are willing (and able) to keep after this task, or if it will always be a thorn in your side.

• hsharrington
    7 years ago

Totally agree, nnigrt! To each her own level of effort!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just did an ebony stain on my french doors and window trim (red oak). I do it myself with 2 coats of black aniline dye, and then 2 coats of black stain my General Finishes. Then I give a finish coat of ebony finishing oil (matte) by Penofin. The result is a deep, rich black. You will not get that rich black by using Minwax! Like any dark stain, it will show dust and hair easier than a light colored floor.

I think it will look great next to your white and alongside your doors. It's only an extra few minutes to wipe them down. Like someone said, the dust and dirt are there regardless of the color!

• tee are
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    ok tnx for all that replied. what I understood from ppl w ebony floors is that it is beautiful but only the minute after washing it. so then I wondered if this applies to steps too since its not a big space...

the photo I posted is not my home was just for example. Will have white doors nxt to it. but the spindles of railing will be painted white too. the railing I wanna do ebony too!

whats a swiffer?.I shud search for it on Amazon?

and how to wash? any detergent that's good for it?

I wonder is there few kinds of of ebony colors? that some Say I painted "an" ebony stain?? my scraper just said ebony, ok..
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    My ebony stained oak floors are gorgeous, but my husband (who does most of the cleaning) would never let me do them again.
  • PRO
    Reach Design
    7 years ago

Steps get dirtier than the floor. Are you able to clean them any other day? Are you ok with dirty steps? Do you have a house cleaner? Consider those things before you do it.

• hsharrington
    7 years ago

Ellsworth-Hallett, I agree about having the whole floor stained that dark. Tried it once, loved it, but never again! Stairs are not a lot of surface and I decided that the drama made up for the smallest bit of extra work. Dust and dirt accumulate no matter the floor finish. ::-\

• tee are
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    usually I have a house cleaner twice a week. so let's say two days without washinng will look baaad? or ok?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

Well you don't "wash" wood. Maybe get a spray cleaner meant for wood floors. Bona is one brand that I use. You could spray it on a cloth and dust the stairs in between the cleaning. It would be like dusting a table. maybe get a small brush to help get in the corners.

• tee are
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    tnx! and how do I "clean" it for regular cleaning?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Same thing. Any floor cleaner that is meant for solid wood floors. Bona is a pretty well known brand. You can spray it on the wood and use any type of floor mop to go over it. For stairs, it's probably easier to just do it by hand rather than trying to juggle a long handled mop. don't use anything like Pledge because it will add a wax and make it very slippery

this is a Bona mop that is used to clean the floors .

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    We never use anything other than diluted white vinegar...
  • Snaggy
    7 years ago

I mop my wood floors with water and all purpose cleaner ..been doing it for 20years never had a problem with the wood

• tee are
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    my steps right now before staining/painting
  • PRO
    Signature Custom Flooring LLC
    7 years ago

I have done dark stairs before and I would suggest using a Hardwax or penetrating oil. Because it doesn't form a film and penetrates the wood it won't show the dirt as much.

• Jaime Marin
    3 years ago

Hello. Curious to know how the steps came out with the Ebony color stain? Did you do the rails also?

• Jaime Marin
    3 years ago

Curious to know how they steps came out with the ebony stain? Did you do the railings also?