Software
Houzz Logo Print
andy6382

Bona Mega vs Traffic, 2 coats vs 3 coats

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

We're staining our oak floors with Verathane's "Sun Bleached" stain, and we've been advised that with a greyish/whiteish stain, we would be better off with a water based urethane than an oil (which seems to be confirmed by my research).

The contractor is proposing to use Bona Mega, and wants to add a third coat (my contract only has support for 2 coats). I talked to a buddy of mine, and he suggested I consider Bona Traffic, their higher end product (which is almost twice as much per gallon), if I'm going to stay with 2 coats, but if I went with Mega to do 3.

Having no real world experience with any of these products, any advice would be appreciated. Do I need to pony up for the third coat? Am I fine with Mega?

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Bona Mega is the "budget" version of the Bona line. It is a single component, easy to use Bona finish...which gives you want you pay for: budget finish. I'm hearing from refinishers that they are having to go back and refinish "Mega" floors MUCH MUCH SOONER than Traffic coated floors. As in 5-7 years later instead of 12-15 years later.

    Pay the price TODAY and purchase the Traffic so that you don't have to do this all over again in as little as 7 years (moving furniture, moving to a hotel for 1 week, hiring people, paying the $4-$5/sf cost for a refinish).

    There is a reason why Traffic is double the cost...it is TWICE as good. And a 3rd layer of Mega is a good idea with the lower end product. Remember: the more coats you apply, the LONGER it takes for a full cure.

    Personally: I would skip the Mega and move to the Traffic. It is the N. American "Gold Standard" for the floor finishing industry. If it ain't broke...don't fix it.

    The choice is yours. Mega, for me, is a finish you would use if you were SELLING your home or flipping a property. It is a quick, easy, relatively nice finish for a decent price. It is used in situations when a quick fix (that YOU don't have to live with because you are selling/moving/flipping) is a great option.

  • 9 years ago

    It's not a change order I was expecting to take on (I'm guessing 9-10 total gallons plus the labor for the third coat), but if really is that much better of a product, I guess I should get three coats of Traffic.

  • 9 years ago

    Mega will yellow some with age, at least that is my experience. Go with Traffic, and, if you want the toughest Traffic finish, specify Traffic HD.

    Traffic is usually a two coat process over dried stain.

  • 9 years ago

    While i dont disagree, there is Bona Mega Clear HD, which is a two componet finish that ive found to be satisfactory with high traffic areas, im not a huge fan on Traffic,

    Fact of the matter is you really should be asking yourself why you want these higher end finishes? There is no finish on the market that prevents all scratches, or dog scratches or kids. there are many finishes on the market now that do just as well as the bona line, i do agree bona is still the "gold" standard but at a certain point you will be comparing apples to apples.

    the choice of using a non yellowing/ambering water bourne finish over your greyish floor is the correct choice, but you should examine the type of abuse your floor will be subjected to in the next 5 to 10 years. and that should help you decide if spending the extra $$ is worth it.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for your comments. I wouldn't expect an abnormal amount of abuse, my thought is that if Traffic lasts twice and long (but the materials cost twice as much), that would save me on labor costs.

    It's not as much about scratching as it is value and overall quality. Can I ask why you're not a fan of Traffic GregMills?

  • 9 years ago

    Just because i dont believe that traffic last twice as long, If you have a floor that doesnt receive high amount of foot traffic than its kind of pointless. traffic is advertised to help prevent abrassion. like from heavy foot traffic. dont get me wrong, traffic is a fine product, lots of people use and swear by it. lately ive been using more and more different two componet finishes and i've seen good results from them too.

    You may or may not get more time out of the floor before needing a buff n coat with traffic, thats going to depend on your abuse to the floor.

    I dont have any hard scientific evidence that traffic isnt the one all be all finish for everything. but i have been doing this for 13 years and seen many many floors. For the floors i have done with traffic, they still look great, but also the ones ive done with other 2 componet finishes also look great too.

    im not going to lose any sleep if you go with traffic, even after all your research and you still decide to go with traffic, i guarantee you will have a good experience and will be happy, im just trying to educate you from my POV that you have other options available to you, that will give you an equal pleasurable experience without the extra cost.

  • 9 years ago

    Glennsfc, i like that you can mix the hardner twice. ex. mixing a full gallon, and only using 1/2. the next day you can re mix more hardner in that left over 1/2 gallon and not waste product.

  • 9 years ago

    also i believe the mega clear hd, is more a of a true clear coat, where i think traffic has a bit of color to it.

  • 9 years ago

    Like that you say it can be hardened twice...reduces waste. Will have to check into Mega HD. I did see gallons of it at my distributor.

  • 9 years ago

    I've been using Mega HD Clear on most of my white/light jobs and on other jobs where I was using regular Mega with the Mega Booster. It's working well. I like the slightly higher sheen in the satin (25 to 35) compared to Traffic (15 to 20) and the lower cost. Mega spread rate is 500' to 600' per gallon where Traffic is 350' to 400' per gallon. I personally like the lower film build that maintains more of the grain texture on the surface where Traffic looks too smooth and plastic.

    The Traffic must wear better and it's nice to tailor the sheen level to customer desires (semi gloss, satin, extra matte and naturale) but I think it's overkill for most homes.

    Before Bona introduced Mega HD Clear and re-formulated Traffic, their only clear non-yellowing urethane was Novia which is pretty cheap stuff.

    Neither finish should require an extra coat when new unless you think you're going to neglect the floor and are worried it will wear out. Most homeowners (at least the ones we work for) will recoat the floor after it gets scuffed, scratched and somewhat worn, but well before it wears through. The floor will receive the same amount of wear and need a recoat when it looks unacceptable, whether you're applied 2 coats or 20 coats initially.

  • 9 years ago

    My Traffic jobs never looked plasticky, however I hear what your saying regarding spread rate compared with Traffic.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals